Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted by Dan Rafael

It's a good day for boxing fans who, like me, find it frustrating when a quality fight has no American television home.

There are lots of good fights that take place outside of the United States, most of which are not on TV here. That leads to Fight Freaks scouring the Internet for streams and YouTube for a day-after glimpse or just waiting a week to get the DVD if you're into trading like I am. Over the years, I have found all sorts of interesting fights on the Web -- fights from Ireland, Canada, Germany, Japan, South Africa, you name it. And I have traded for DVDs from all around the world. But nothing compares to kicking back on the reclining leather couch with a cool, refreshing beverage and watching the fight on the giant Sharp Aquos.

One of the more interesting fights that will take place outside the U.S. in the fall pits super middleweight titleholder Lucian Bute (22-0, 18 KOs) in an Oct. 24 mandatory bout in Montreal against iron-chinned Librado Andrade (27-1, 21 KOs), whose only loss was to Mikkel Kessler in his only other title bout.

Bute, who is from Romania but became a major attraction in his adopted hometown of Montreal, regularly draws sellout crowds to the Bell Centre. His fights are events, usually quite entertaining, and his ring walks are spectacles. Andrade is a no-frills brawler who's never in a bad fight.

Alas, it looked like we were going to miss out on Bute-Andrade, especially with "Friday Night Fights" finishing its season seven weeks earlier.

In my weekly chat with the Fight Freaks on Friday afternoon, I fielded this question, one that has been asked repeatedly over the past few weeks by the hardcore fans:

Joe, San Francisco, Calif: Any chance of any U.S. TV coverage for Bute-Andrade?

Dan Rafael: (12:18 p.m. ET ) Unlikely.

Well I am pleased to say I was wrong. Just when it looked like we'd have to search for a stream like a rat looking for cheese, Showtime is riding to the rescue.

Showtime is our savior.

A couple of hours after I finished my chat, I heard via the Bat e-mail that Showtime might televise Bute-Andrade on "ShoBox: The New Generation." Before I left my house in Northern Virginia to take the short ride into Washington D.C., to attend ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" card -- where junior middleweight Anthony Thompson was the victim of one of the most heinous robberies I have ever seen in my life in his fight against Ismail Arvin, but more on that in Monday's scorecard -- I dashed off an e-mail to Gordon Hall, whose name you may not know but you should, asking him if what I had heard was true.

Hall, who oversees "ShoBox" and works diligently to maintain its quality, wrote back Saturday morning and confirmed that the fight would indeed be on.

"ShoBox" usually focuses on prospects, but Hall, along with Showtime boxing chief Ken Hershman, also recognizes that there is value in cherry picking the occasional worthy non-prospect fight for the show if they can fit it into the schedule.

In fact, Showtime did just that when it went to England to televise series alumni Timothy Bradley's junior welterweight title win against Junior Witter in May on "ShoBox." And it will happen again in November when "ShoBox" will carry a terrific junior featherweight unification fight from Canada between Steve Molitor and Celestino Caballero (as long as they win interim fights).

As a way to keep with the "ShoBox" prospect theme, however, there's a chance that junior middleweight Ronald Hearns, the son of Thomas Hearns, will open the Bute-Andrade telecast in the event that a proposed fight between Hearns and titleholder Verno Phillips doesn't come off. (Phillips' other proposed title defense against John Duddy is falling apart.)

Whatever happens with Hearns, the important thing is that Bute-Andrade can be seen by American fight fans without a hassle.

Thank you, Showtime.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup i think Bute will win a decision but you never know with Andrade hes always improving so im not counting him out, but right now im going with Bute by UD.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Like I've said Showtime is a hustler they do more with less, if they had HBO money there most of the fights we want to see would get done and there would'nt be a premium channel competition, just Showtime and everybody else(though they have a soft spot for Tarver).

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This is going to be a VERY close fight. Bute will not be able to keep Andrade at bay. As of now I'm rolling with Andrade to beat Bute. I'll have to think about this one more. Great pick up by Showtime.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Now if only they can find a way to pick up the Calderon-Cazares's and the Mijares-Sasakul's, they would really be on to something. I downloaded Bute-Berrios and have only gotten through one round when I watch that fight I'll put up my pick.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Andrade by late stoppage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts