Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calzaghe scored a resounding 118-109 victory on all three of the judges' scorecards to extend his unbeaten record to 46-0 in what the Welshman said before the fight was to be his final ring appearance.

Calzaghe came back from a first round knockdown to beat the American, causing a damaging cut above the former four-division champion's left eye in the seventh round that Jones' corner could not staunch.

After the decision, the Welshman said of the knockdown: "Yes, I was hurt, he caught me with a good shot. But that's what being a champion is all about - when you're put down on the floor, you come back stronger.

"It's an honour getting in the ring with Roy Jones, the guy is a wicked fighter and caused me a lot of trouble. I didn't see the punch coming, it was a good shot. It's the fourth time I've been down and come back strongly."

As for his future, Calzaghe said: "I'll have to sit down and have a think. It could be my last fight, I won't make the final decision yet. I'll go home, sit down, have a think and evaluate the situation."

Jones, meanwhile was similarly non-committal about his future.

"I'll talk to my team, talk to my family and see how I feel," he said. "If I feel good, I'll continue to fight. If I don't, I won't.

"Joe was the better man tonight."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should calzaghe quit the ring with his perfect record intact?

Or has he still got anything to prove?

Or should he have one last big farewell fight at the milleniium stadium in front of 70.000 plus fans?

Your views on this please?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's his call, but I sincerely hope he doesn't follow the steps of all too many boxers who don't known when to quit. The last thing he needs is to make a fool of himself like B-Hop and Roy Jones Jr... These guys believed their own hype and saw $$$ signs. B-Hop even went so far as to say he'd "never lose to a white guy". And then he did just that. What a total ass-clown.

Joe's got his health, and seeing as he doesn't seem to be into the glitz and other such crap that often proves to be the downfall of so many US boxers I think he might as well call it a day. 36 years old, healthy, millionnaire... not too shabby. Oh, and 46-0... Can't really argue with that.

Eventually EVERYONE loses...

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally would luv joe to finish his career with his 0 intact what an achievment it would be,but i myself want him to have one more fight against either hopkins or dawson as i honestly believe he has the beating of both of them.
I personally would rather see him fight dawson and before i hear the usual "why not hopkins are you scared he'll beat calzaghe" the answer is a resounding no!
The reason i would rather see him fight dawson is simple,it would be a much more exciting fight to watch,imo anyone who thinks hopkins would do to calzaghe what he did to pavlik is way off the mark,pavlik comes forward in straight lines always throwing straight punches and doesn't have anywhere near the speed and footwork calzaghe has,a fighter as smart as hopkins can read this one dimensional style like a book.
If hopkins tried to open up on calzaghe like he did against pavlik he'd be playing into calzaghe's hands and would get picked off by calzaghe's extremly fast handspeed and he knows it too,why do you think he chose the much more negative option against calzaghe compared to pavlik.
As for dawson he does look a good fighter but a future great i'm not sure,i think it's too early to tell,if he does fight calzaghe and comes out on top then he deserves all the hype and he'd get plenty from me too,but i just cant see him winning myself,i think calzaghe's experience and refusal to be beaten would see him through.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It's his call, but I sincerely hope he doesn't follow the steps of all too many boxers who don't known when to quit. The last thing he needs is to make a fool of himself like B-Hop and Roy Jones Jr... These guys believed their own hype and saw $$$ signs. B-Hop even went so far as to say he'd "never lose to a white guy". And then he did just that. What a total ass-clown.

Joe's got his health, and seeing as he doesn't seem to be into the glitz and other such crap that often proves to be the downfall of so many US boxers I think he might as well call it a day. 36 years old, healthy, millionnaire... not too shabby. Oh, and 46-0... Can't really argue with that.

I don't agree with that!? How is Hop making a fool of himself when he is still right in the thick of things. Sure Cal beat him, but it was a close fight. He just destroyed Pavlik. Sure his comment was a bit overboard, but Cal shut him up. But Hop's style is why he is still in the mix of things.

Jones on the other hand I felt should have retired long ago. His style is not made to fight this high up in age. Never been a Jones fan and was really happy to see him get his azz knocked out a few times,:D but I, and I'm sure everyone else would like to see him retire. He is just going to get himself hurt if he continues.

I wouldn't mind seeing him retire. He knows he's close to the end of his rope. His style is not made to fight to much longer. I would also be good with seeing him fight one last time.:thumbsup:

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts

Make a fool of themselves? I guess Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson made a fool of themselves also :laugh:. Doesn't matter, when we go to the history books RJ and B-Hop will always be better than Calzaghe and when it comes to the hall of fame RJ and B-Hop will obviously go before Calzaghe :thumbsup:

I don't agree with that!? How is Hop making a fool of himself when he is still right in the thick of things. Sure Cal beat him, but it was a close fight. He just destroyed Pavlik. Sure his comment was a bit overboard, but Cal shut him up. But Hop's style is why he is still in the mix of things.

Jones on the other hand I felt should have retired long ago. His style is not made to fight this high up in age. Never been a Jones fan and was really happy to see him get his azz knocked out a few times,:D but I, and I'm sure everyone else would like to see him retire. He is just going to get himself hurt if he continues.

I wouldn't mind seeing him retire. He knows he's close to the end of his rope. His style is not made to fight to much longer. I would also be good with seeing him fight one last time.:thumbsup:
You're right, he needs to retire...RJ has nothing left to prove. Everything a boxer wants to accomplish in his career, RJ has already accomplished it. I'm begging RJ to just retire...Calzaghe's mama with her shoe can beat up on RJ right now...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Right now I don't know if anyone can beat Calzaghe. He definitely has more fight in him but He really should just hang it up. A great end to a great career.

As far as Jones goes. He has not aged well and it showed. He needs to get out of the sport and I mean quick. I hope he isn't one of those fighters who just keeps fighting and fighting for the money and never stops. We have seen it happen to many great fighters.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
nah, hopkins didnt make a fool of himself! hes still a great fighter as we saw against pavlik. he also did well to try and nullify joe's attack but didnt pull it off well enough!

jones got embarassed, it was a mix of him being too old and calzaghe at this moment in time is 2 or 3 levels above him. shot he may be, but i cant see more than 1 or 2 fighters dominating jones like calzaghe did on the weekend!

calzaghe will be ranked up there with marciano in the HOF if he retires now! we could say that we never got to see him at his supreme best (although he has been SUPERB since 2005) i honestly think no one could beat him from 160 to 175 in the last three years!

some have marciano in high regard, others dont, it will be the same with joe! dont be surprised if joe, jones and hopkins will be around the same spots when history looks back!

G

·
If Calzaghe is interested in fighting Dawson then he should fight on, if not then he should hang them up. He's a great fighter and will be remembered as one whether people accept it or not.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Calzaghe would just humiliate Chad Dawson. The guy fights for peanuts and isn't a big enough draw for a potential last bout.

Still, I say go for it. He should face both Dawson and Hopkins and finish with 48-0. That would once again prove to the Americans how good he is.

G

·
Calzaghe would just humiliate Chad Dawson. The guy fights for peanuts and isn't a big enough draw for a potential last bout.

Still, I say go for it. He should face both Dawson and Hopkins and finish with 48-0. That would once again prove to the Americans how good he is.
Or would it?

Next year they'll be calling Hopkins "44 yo Popkins" and Dawson will be a glorified Jeff Lacy. :laugh:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think he could do with another top name on his CV, but it's difficult to see who that could be. If he beats Dawson it could go either way, probably depending upon what Dawson would achieve afterward. If Kessler goes on to take a few big fights in his career, which I think he will, then that will add to Calzaghe's record.

From a personal standpoint, as a fan of the bloke, I'd like the chance to see him fight once more and I'll be going to Wales if it's in the Millennium.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
nah, hopkins didnt make a fool of himself! hes still a great fighter as we saw against pavlik. he also did well to try and nullify joe's attack but didnt pull it off well enough!

jones got embarassed, it was a mix of him being too old and calzaghe at this moment in time is 2 or 3 levels above him. shot he may be, but i cant see more than 1 or 2 fighters dominating jones like calzaghe did on the weekend!

calzaghe will be ranked up there with marciano in the HOF if he retires now! we could say that we never got to see him at his supreme best (although he has been SUPERB since 2005) i honestly think no one could beat him from 160 to 175 in the last three years!

some have marciano in high regard, others dont, it will be the same with joe! dont be surprised if joe, jones and hopkins will be around the same spots when history looks back!
Anyone with boxing skill can dominate RJ we saw saturday night...don't kid yourself man. Calzaghe looked great but Barack Obama can step down as President-elect and stomp a mudhole in this version of RJ :laugh:

If Calzaghe is interested in fighting Dawson then he should fight on, if not then he should hang them up. He's a great fighter and will be remembered as one whether people accept it or not.
Great fighter yes....Legend....nope.

Dawson would get humiliated? By who? Calzaghe might need some help if he hopes to clown Dawson. You all are looking too much in this win against RJ. But you're right...Cal should give B-Hop a rematch and fight Dawson and call it a career.

Or would it?

Next year they'll be calling Hopkins "44 yo Popkins" and Dawson will be a glorified Jeff Lacy.
You would think that :laugh:

G

·
As a boxing fan, I'd love to see Calzaghe fight Dawson. Since there's no way that that's happening IMO, I think he should retire. Very few great fighters retire on top and Calzaghe has a chance to do that. Especially after a tremendous performance like that one.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Calzaghe scored a resounding 118-109 victory on all three of the judges' scorecards to extend his unbeaten record to 46-0 in what the Welshman said before the fight was to be his final ring appearance.

Calzaghe came back from a first round knockdown to beat the American, causing a damaging cut above the former four-division champion's left eye in the seventh round that Jones' corner could not staunch.

After the decision, the Welshman said of the knockdown: "Yes, I was hurt, he caught me with a good shot. But that's what being a champion is all about - when you're put down on the floor, you come back stronger.

"It's an honour getting in the ring with Roy Jones, the guy is a wicked fighter and caused me a lot of trouble. I didn't see the punch coming, it was a good shot. It's the fourth time I've been down and come back strongly."

As for his future, Calzaghe said: "I'll have to sit down and have a think. It could be my last fight, I won't make the final decision yet. I'll go home, sit down, have a think and evaluate the situation."

Jones, meanwhile was similarly non-committal about his future.

"I'll talk to my team, talk to my family and see how I feel," he said. "If I feel good, I'll continue to fight. If I don't, I won't.

"Joe was the better man tonight."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should calzaghe quit the ring with his perfect record intact?

Or has he still got anything to prove?

Or should he have one last big farewell fight at the milleniium stadium in front of 70.000 plus fans?

Your views on this please?
Yes he needs to have one more fight, at the millenium stadium in front of his hometown crowd. He needs to rematch Bernard Hopkins in that fight. Bernard has stated publically that he is willing to go to Wales.
I believe the same 50/50 deal like Jones signed would be ideal.
Joe MUST!! make this fight happen to dispel all doubts about Calzaghe-Hopkins. Joe claims he "dealt with" Bernard in that fight .. He Didnt.
Joe was awarded a debateable SD victory, though many many people believed Bernard actually won the fight. To live up to his self appointed " Legend Killer" image Joe has to beat Bernard decisively.
If the fight happens and Joe wins I'll be the first to congratulate him and acknowledge him as the true great he says he is. If he ducks the fight then they'll be that stain on his legacy for ever

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a boxing fan, I'd love to see Calzaghe fight Dawson. Since there's no way that that's happening IMO, I think he should retire. Very few great fighters retire on top and Calzaghe has a chance to do that. Especially after a tremendous performance like that one.
Yeah your probably right,cos if the hopkins fight is the only other option i'd rather calzaghe didn't bother,why would he want his final fight to be remembered as a borefest as i believe hopkins tactics would be just the same as before.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Since I know he won't give Glen Johnson a shot (in a fight I would absolutely love to see and for a guy who truly deserves the chance), and Chad Dawson doesn't carry the name recognition, I would like to see him fight one more time and that would be to rematch Bernard Hopkins. The B-Hop that beat down Pavlik beats the Calzaghe that "beat" him and looked good against a bad Roy Jones. He has to beat Hopkins more decisively if he's going to expect to get the credit for such a disputed decison which I saw as a draw.

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes he needs to have one more fight, at the millenium stadium in front of his hometown crowd. He needs to rematch Bernard Hopkins in that fight. Bernard has stated publically that he is willing to go to Wales.
I believe the same 50/50 deal like Jones signed would be ideal.
Joe MUST!! make this fight happen to dispel all doubts about Calzaghe-Hopkins. Joe claims he "dealt with" Bernard in that fight .. He Didnt.
Joe was awarded a debateable SD victory, though many many people believed Bernard actually won the fight. To live up to his self appointed " Legend Killer" image Joe has to beat Bernard decisively.
If the fight happens and Joe wins I'll be the first to congratulate him and acknowledge him as the true great he says he is. If he ducks the fight then they'll be that stain on his legacy for ever
What your not seeming to realize calzaghe and his fans and unbiased critics don't give a flying fukk wot you hopkins fans think,it's wot we know and wot the judges knew on the night that matters mate.;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.