Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i'm going to start boxing in about a year, should i be lifting weights? i'm about 5'10" 155, pretty slight frame, could definitely get down to 150; probably lower. will lifting make me too heavy? if so, what workouts do boxers generally do?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, lift 2-3 times a week. For a boxer, you should be doing light weight, with high repetitions. Focus on your shoulders, back, chest, and most importantly, your rotator cuffs. Also, don't forget to work your legs as well. No more than 30-60 secs between lifts and make it a circuit(do a lift-60s-a different lift-60s-back to the first). Do alot of stuff with bungee's and therabands as well.:thumbsup:

Also: Stretch atleast 5-6 times a week.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Yes, lift 2-3 times a week. For a boxer, you should be doing light weight, with high repetitions. Focus on your shoulders, back, chest, and most importantly, your rotator cuffs. Also, don't forget to work your legs as well. No more than 30-60 secs between lifts and make it a circuit(do a lift-60s-a different lift-60s-back to the first). Do alot of stuff with bungee's and therabands as well.:thumbsup:
He's not boxing yet. If he was i'd suggest it but he isn't. He shouldn't lift anything til he gets into boxing because he'll be stiff starting and may be hard to stop being stiff for him.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You shouldn't lift weights before boxing because you'll go in there stiff. Start running.
Anybody, boxer or no boxer needs to train every muscle group atleast once a week whether it be high intensity or low intensity, it is imperitive to your health. Aerobic exercise needs to be accompanied by anaerobic exercise in order to be effective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.