Votes: 6 37.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 62.5%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should Riddick Bowe be Inducted into the Hall?

The object of this game is to hit and not get hit. --Riddick Bowe

Sares: God knows, Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe has had his problems outside of the ring but this is not about that; this is about whether he eventually should be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

A product of the tough Brownsville section of Brooklyn, Bowe had a successful amateur career, which included winning the prestigious New York Golden Gloves championship. He also won the silver medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics losing to Lennox Lewis by stoppage in the final..

He went 34-0 before losing to Evander Holyfield in the second fight of their great trilogy in 1993. With a high KO percentage, Bowe swept through his opponents impressively though he participated in two strange fights. One was a DQ win against Elijah Tillery in which, after Big Daddy was kicked, Bowe’s manager, with a new wrinkle to holding, grabbed Tillery around the neck from the ring apron while Big Daddy proceeded to pummel him. The other involved what many called a gift NC when he cold cocked Buster Mathis Jr. while Mathis was on the canvas.

Arguably, Bowe’s first top level opponent was Pinklon Thomas whom he beat by ninth round TKO. He followed this up by dispatching Bert Cooper in two and then Tyrell Biggs and Tony Tubbs. After icing Bruce Seldon in one, he won five against fair to middling opposition until 1992 when he beat Holyfield by UD in 1992. He followed this up with two quick knockouts of Michael Dokes, 50-3-2, and Jesse Ferguson. In 1993, he would lose his first fight, a close one to Holyfield, but would make up for it with great ebb and flow TKO victory over “The Real Deal” in 1995. In between, he slaughtered undefeated Herbie Hide and undefeated trash-talking Jorge Luis Gonzalez like a butcher works on fresh meat. He also took the measure of terribly intimidated Larry Donald by 12 round UD. The combined won-loss record of these three victims coming in was 65-0.

This set up his two infamous DQ wins against Andrew Golota in which he absorbed tremendous punishment while showing great heart. In my view, Bowe was damaged goods going into the two fights. He was a shell of his former self, as his brutal trilogy with Evander Holyfield combined with poor training habits and overeating had caught up to him.

In the first duke, though well ahead on points, Golota suffered his first loss when Bowe went to the floor in round seven after being hit with the last of several low blows throughout the fight. Golota was disqualified and was well on his way to a new nickname. A Pay Per View rematch was held five months later at the Convention Center in Atlantic City, and Golota once again dominated. Amazingly, however, he was once again disqualified due to a brutal low blow combination in the ninth stanza. The two Bowe fights earned Golota the nickname “The Foul Pole,” though there had been many earlier warnings of his proclivity towards mayhem.

As for Bowe, though he won, he came out of those fights terribly damaged--perhaps as a result of going in damaged. After two more wins against inferior opposition, it now appears he will retire with a 42 (KO 33) -1 -0-NC record.

And this brings us back to the question posed by this piece. As I personally evaluate his chances, I cannot but help acknowledge that Ingemar Johansson was inducted in 2002 with a record of 26-2 and with his trilogy against Floyd Patterson being the trigger for his induction. Yet the "Hammer of Thor," as Ingo was known lost two of the three against Patterson.

Of course, working against Bowe is the fact that he never squared off with Lennox Lewis. Still, the question remains, should Bowe be included with the likes of Ken Norton, Larry Holmes, Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc.?

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
He was great in his prime but he was lazy and kinda crazy tbh :S He will be remembered for his fights with Holyfield and maby by his cowardness towards Lewis. I really dont care about the hof anymore so yeah why not induct him.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I want to say no, but I have to say yes. Although I don't think he's in the same league as Holmes, Foreman, or Liston, to have a record like that with only one loss when facing some of the guys he did, that's pretty tough to beat. I will say this, though, that shiny one loss shouldn't be so shiny. He should have three losses because had Andrew Golota had any shred of self control he would have handed him two defeats because he had Big Daddy dead to rights.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think he should go in. He was great in his day i can never forget the Bowe VS Holyfield trilogy , even if i wanted to espn classic won't let me.I think he could have been better he wasn't so lazy , but yeah he gets my vote.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Should Riddick Bowe be Inducted into the Hall?

The object of this game is to hit and not get hit. --Riddick Bowe

Sares: God knows, Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe has had his problems outside of the ring but this is not about that; this is about whether he eventually should be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

A product of the tough Brownsville section of Brooklyn, Bowe had a successful amateur career, which included winning the prestigious New York Golden Gloves championship. He also won the silver medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics losing to Lennox Lewis by stoppage in the final..

He went 34-0 before losing to Evander Holyfield in the second fight of their great trilogy in 1993. With a high KO percentage, Bowe swept through his opponents impressively though he participated in two strange fights. One was a DQ win against Elijah Tillery in which, after Big Daddy was kicked, Bowe’s manager, with a new wrinkle to holding, grabbed Tillery around the neck from the ring apron while Big Daddy proceeded to pummel him. The other involved what many called a gift NC when he cold cocked Buster Mathis Jr. while Mathis was on the canvas.

Arguably, Bowe’s first top level opponent was Pinklon Thomas whom he beat by ninth round TKO. He followed this up by dispatching Bert Cooper in two and then Tyrell Biggs and Tony Tubbs. After icing Bruce Seldon in one, he won five against fair to middling opposition until 1992 when he beat Holyfield by UD in 1992. He followed this up with two quick knockouts of Michael Dokes, 50-3-2, and Jesse Ferguson. In 1993, he would lose his first fight, a close one to Holyfield, but would make up for it with great ebb and flow TKO victory over “The Real Deal” in 1995. In between, he slaughtered undefeated Herbie Hide and undefeated trash-talking Jorge Luis Gonzalez like a butcher works on fresh meat. He also took the measure of terribly intimidated Larry Donald by 12 round UD. The combined won-loss record of these three victims coming in was 65-0.

This set up his two infamous DQ wins against Andrew Golota in which he absorbed tremendous punishment while showing great heart. In my view, Bowe was damaged goods going into the two fights. He was a shell of his former self, as his brutal trilogy with Evander Holyfield combined with poor training habits and overeating had caught up to him.

In the first duke, though well ahead on points, Golota suffered his first loss when Bowe went to the floor in round seven after being hit with the last of several low blows throughout the fight. Golota was disqualified and was well on his way to a new nickname. A Pay Per View rematch was held five months later at the Convention Center in Atlantic City, and Golota once again dominated. Amazingly, however, he was once again disqualified due to a brutal low blow combination in the ninth stanza. The two Bowe fights earned Golota the nickname “The Foul Pole,” though there had been many earlier warnings of his proclivity towards mayhem.

As for Bowe, though he won, he came out of those fights terribly damaged--perhaps as a result of going in damaged. After two more wins against inferior opposition, it now appears he will retire with a 42 (KO 33) -1 -0-NC record.

And this brings us back to the question posed by this piece. As I personally evaluate his chances, I cannot but help acknowledge that Ingemar Johansson was inducted in 2002 with a record of 26-2 and with his trilogy against Floyd Patterson being the trigger for his induction. Yet the "Hammer of Thor," as Ingo was known lost two of the three against Patterson.

Of course, working against Bowe is the fact that he never squared off with Lennox Lewis. Still, the question remains, should Bowe be included with the likes of Ken Norton, Larry Holmes, Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc.?

What do you think?

The answer to this one is easy NO WAY IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Riddick Bowe was a coward end of story. He got his clock cleaned by Lennox Lewis in the olympic final. He knew from that day on there was no way he could ever beat Lennox.
Remember the infamous box off to determine the REAL HW champ???
Bowe fought Holyfield , Lewis fought Ruddock, then the two winners meet.Bowe beat Holyfield fair and square BUT when he saw Lennox demolish Ruddock he was done. Him and Rock Newman blatently renaged on the deal, the only people who complained were the WBC so what did the coward do ?? put the WBC belt in a trashcan. The other alphas let him get away with it. I wonder if Lennox had been a US fighter not a Brit if it would have made a difference there.
Instead of fighting Lewis, Bowe took on two over the hill clubfighters
Michael Dokes and Jesse Ferguson. I met Bowe and Newman in Dallas and asked Newman why Bowe renaged, his reply was "If folks will buy the Dokes and Ferguson fights why should we fight Lewis" and laughed.
My reply was " Then Bowe has NEVER been heavyweight champ and wont be till he fights and beats Lewis and theres no way he can ever do that". Newman sneered " Dont hold your breath on that one".
Also I've been present on 3 or 4 occasions when Lennox and a pretty little girl in a yellow chicken suit with I'm Chicken Bowe on the front, harassed Bowe trying to embarass him into signing a fight .
Bowe just crept away like the coward he is So njo way in hell should he ever be in the HOF

·
Registered
22 Posts
Considering that fighters who were far less acheived than Bowe were inducted, I think he will probably make it. I don't personally think he should, but if Cleveland Williams is in there, then I can't imagine Riddick Bowe being passed up. For whatever its worth, he does have a great career profile by all standards. Bowe brought home a medal from the 1988 olympics during one of its most competitive years for the heavyweight division. Lewis, Mercer, Gonzalez and Bowe all competed at the same time. As a proffesional, he was only beaten once by a close decision to an all time great who he beat twice. His two wins over Holyfield were better than the best wins of a lot of hall of famers. lastly, he also defeated a decent number of young prospects and fringe contenders such as Hide, Gonzalez, Seldon, Coetzer, and Donald.

·
8,579 Posts
Hell yeah he should, I dont even like him either, he beat every man he ever faced.
ROFL C'mon Lance be serious Apart from Evander Holyfield, a blown up cruiserweight, who did he beat that were legit contenders????
Even Golota was kicking his fat hiney till Bowe squealed foul
Bowe was a disgrace to the sport of boxing

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
yes why not? he's one of the main names of the 90's heavyweights.
Michael Moorer deserves a spot too, not a great heavyweight but for the combination of his medium sucess at heavyweight and his short but explosive lighheavyweight reign..its a personal pick though

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'm a bigger fan of golota but do you really want to talk about bowe as the disgrace when you mention golota in the same sentence.

·
8,579 Posts
I'm a bigger fan of golota but do you really want to talk about bowe as the disgrace when you mention golota in the same sentence.
Golota was a crazy man couldnt control his temper but he was kicking Bowe's fat butt TWICE!!!!!! Look what Lennox Lewis did to Golota, KO 1 lol No wonder Bowe was scared stiff of Lewis.
Bowe fought NO ONE but Evander Holyfield , who was a much smaller man , yet he beat him didnt he LOL. Bowe was a disgrace to boxing

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Bowe was past it when he faught golota, he also beat holyfield twice, both great fights, if you discredit a man for beating holyfield, that is a disgrace. Holyfield is the only 4 time heavyweight champion. A sure hof for sure.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
this is a pretty good question as I can see where some would think the total oppisite of others. to me I don't mind him being in the hall, not one of my faves but he was involved in some great fights and like someone else atated, one of the top 4 or 5 heavies of the 90's which was a pretty good era for heavyweights.

·
8,579 Posts
Golota was a crazy man couldnt control his temper but he was kicking Bowe's fat butt TWICE!!!!!! Look what Lennox Lewis did to Golota, KO 1 lol No wonder Bowe was scared stiff of Lewis.
Bowe fought NO ONE but Evander Holyfield , who was a much smaller man , yet he beat him didnt he LOL. Bowe was a disgrace to boxing
LOL to quote you from the other night Lance " Answer The Question" What genuine heavyweight contender did Riddick Bowe beat other than Evander Holyfield?? He really only beat Holyfield once anyway, in the third fight Holyfield had heart problems> The doctors were amazed he did what he did but even then ole Big Blubber Bowe couldnt finish him

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Like I told you, i dont care about bowe, don't even like him, but having that trilogy with holyfield and winning twice including 1 ko over him, is enough for me and most people to vote him in....

Now did lazcano get an even playing field against hatton? Stop making things personal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.