Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my first post here.

I'm just getting started with boxing, but I have a couple of concerns. I had a shoulder subluxation, back when I was wrestling. Happened when I had an underhook on a guy, went for a single, and he sprawled hard on me. Just thought it'd give a better picture if anyone knows wrestling.

So the last two years of high school, I was plagued with shoulder problems, a few subluxations and one or two dislocations, which I was able to correct myself during the matches in which they occurred. It's not like they were "easy" injuries either. My shoulder would be sore and inflamed for awhile, although with "loosening" the pain has not been as severe or prolonged (not really a good thing). As people with shoulder problems know, it doesn't go away with time, so I still have problems in certain positions.

Anyway, long story short, I wore a brace during practice and matches to help out with my loose shoulder. Is this allowed during boxing matches, and if so does anyone have suggestions for braces? Also does anyone have experience with shitty shoulders and with training to get some stability back?

I don't really trust surgery. One of my other wrestler friends had a dislocation, had surgery, did rehab, and came back only to have his shoulder pop out again.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Well the one thing I would say, is that the stress imposed on your shoulders for wrestling is much different than it is for boxing. Wrestling exerts mainly "pulling" motions wih the shoulder whereas boxing is almost entirely "pushing" motion.

Has your shoulder healed enough that you dont have inflammation or soreness now? If so, have you given some bag work a shot yet, and what was the result?

Boxing training should actually help to increase your shoulder strength. As far as braces go, I cant recall ever seeing someone train with one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it's been about 3 or 4 years since I had my first injury. So my shoulder's probably healed as much it's going to.

I haven't really started boxing yet, mainly because I'm concerned about aggravating the shoulder. I'm in college now, and we have a boxing club that I plan to join. My questions are coming mainly from a precautionary standpoint.

I have been watching training videos, though (prolly not the best form of instruction). I feel like when whipping out a jab, my shoulder would hit that sweet spot, not so much with other punches (happened to me once or twice).

It's not super frequent, but I will have problems with my shoulder when I'm just playing basketball, or during any activity when my arm hits that "sweet spot". My shoulder will catch or seem to rotate too far, kinda sliding a lil bit. Not the end of the world, but it does tend to take me out of my element and be somewhat painful.

While I might be able to compete without a brace, I think that it would add some confidence just knowing I had some extra support. But if it's impractical, I'll just have to be careful and not stretch my punches out too far...kinda sucks 'cause I'm on the shorter side.

In any event, I really appreciate the response.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I guess the only way to really tell is to get some training time in on the bags and see where it leads you. The good thing is that it will at least strengthen your rotator cuffs and shoulder muscles in the process which can only help. :thumbsup: Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, my first post here.

I'm just getting started with boxing, but I have a couple of concerns. I had a shoulder subluxation, back when I was wrestling. Happened when I had an underhook on a guy, went for a single, and he sprawled hard on me. Just thought it'd give a better picture if anyone knows wrestling.

So the last two years of high school, I was plagued with shoulder problems, a few subluxations and one or two dislocations, which I was able to correct myself during the matches in which they occurred. It's not like they were "easy" injuries either. My shoulder would be sore and inflamed for awhile, although with "loosening" the pain has not been as severe or prolonged (not really a good thing). As people with shoulder problems know, it doesn't go away with time, so I still have problems in certain positions.

Anyway, long story short, I wore a brace during practice and matches to help out with my loose shoulder. Is this allowed during boxing matches, and if so does anyone have suggestions for shoulder braces? Also does anyone have experience with shitty shoulders and with training to get some stability back?

I don't really trust surgery. One of my other wrestler friends had a dislocation, had surgery, did rehab, and came back only to have his shoulder pop out again.
Do braces for shoulders really worth buying? I mean to say that, can these replace surgery?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts