Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showtime has announced that while HBO will be airing their Mosley-Mayorga PPV, they will show a tape-delayed broadcast of Vitali Klitsckho-Sam Peter with Tarver-Dawson being the main event. This will really hurt HBO's numbers and rightfully so. Mosley-Mayorga should NOT be PPV. They better put together one hell of an under card. Thoughts/comments?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Yeah, I heard about this earlier today, The showtime card is awesome, however I'll still be watching the hbo ppv telecast first then watching the showtime telecast the next day. Hopefully the ppv will have a great undercard like you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was very glad to hear this. I'm not a fan of counterprogramming at all, but HBO is out of control with three PPVs within 30 calendar days including the back to back weekends of Casamayor/Marquez and Calzaghe/Jones. Hopefully Showtime putting together some good broadcasts without the use of PPVs (only one since '05) will force HBO to make better decisions with where they throw all their licensing fees and just step their game up overall.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
It won't change HBO, they've been doing things like this for a while. Thats why when I think of Showtime I think of hustlers, they do more or as much as HBO with less money. This is what you get when you don't have boxing guys at the top, crap. The cable company already gets enough of my money, I'm not giving them an extra 50 when I can wait a week or download it the next day or go to a friends house or sports bar.

The Showtime fight is more even money than the PPV fight, anyway. Let's be honest, who is going to bet on Mayorga when we seen SSM? Not even Mayorga (or his team) will bet on Mayorga. Shane will hit him with over hand right haymakers till he gets the KO, there I described the whole fight. Same with Casamayor-Marquez, I will be chillin watching Campbell-Guzman. Those two fights should be a co-feature on one card or one headlining a BAD and the other Championship boxing. No excuse

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I want to see Vitali return to the ring so I will not be shelling $50 plus to watch Mosley when Vitali is free.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be paying the $50 for damn sure. Then the people who come over to drink my stuff and watch the fight will all give me about $10 a pop and I'll end up with about $200 bucks, with the Showtime card recorded to watch as soon as the PPV ends.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Boxing is boxing. If I got to pay for it than so be it. I'll get the PPV
Neither Mosely-Mayorga nor Jones-Calzaghe deserve to be PPV's neither will get 1 cent of my money lol

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Showtime has announced that while HBO will be airing their Mosley-Mayorga PPV, they will show a tape-delayed broadcast of Vitali Klitsckho-Sam Peter with Tarver-Dawson being the main event. This will really hurt HBO's numbers and rightfully so. Mosley-Mayorga should NOT be PPV. They better put together one hell of an under card. Thoughts/comments?
I completely agree Shane. This fight should NOT be a PPV, and Showtime is going to SMASH HBO on that night unless there is a serious, and I do mean serious upgrade to the undercard.

While I love SSM and I think that it will be a very entertaining fight, I think the Tarver Dawson fight holds far more significance, and Im also very interested to see the return of Vitali.

Showtime FTW on this one...:thumbsup:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Oh, and Im also decidedly NOT paying for the PPV's. I'll either wait to see the rebroadcast, or go to the local bar and get a good dinner, plenty of beers, and still save money over the rediculously overpriced, moneygrubbing sum-bitches that the cable companies are.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I completely agree Shane. This fight should NOT be a PPV, and Showtime is going to SMASH HBO on that night unless there is a serious, and I do mean serious upgrade to the undercard.

While I love SSM and I think that it will be a very entertaining fight, I think the Tarver Dawson fight holds far more significance, and Im also very interested to see the return of Vitali.

Showtime FTW on this one...:thumbsup:
For boxing fans, Showtime seems to have a much better show in this one. But I dont feel that Chad Dawson is actually known, Mayorga and Mosley have their names linked to De La Hoya and early 2000's fights with Trinidad Vargas.

Sometimes just a name is enough to get big numbers, Jones - Trinidad made 600k buys.

Of course Showtime ought to be competitive at some point becuse well, casual fans are likely not to watch either fight haha.So I couldnt agree more with Shane, HBO better bring some good undercard.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I don't think he'll beat camp either. I'm still pissed that I have to watch Mosley-Mayorga instead of Mosley-Judah.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts