Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fight, "The World Awaits," in my opinion, is Mayweather’s introduction into Oscar De La Hoya’s world-view of pay PPV: fighting once a year against a handpicked but high-profile, beatable but entertaining opponent. Mayweather, more so than any other fighter in recent memory, has proven that he is simply all about the money. And so from here on in, we will see Mayweather in the public eye more often than ever (he already has a slew of talk show dates lined up) as he milks this victory for all it’s worth. But it won’t be enough for a man of his skill and ego. Within a year or so, he will announce his return against De La Hoya or Mosley, and we will get another round of reality show, pressers, and all the trash talk we can handle. This is the beginning of the De La Hoya phase of Mayweather’s career, because at this point, after tasting the Golden Payday, anything less will not be enough. To paraphrase Larry Merchant, in Mayweather’s mind, beating Tiger Woods has made him Tiger Woods.

Here is one vote hoping that Mayweather isn’t lying about his retirement. I have zero interest in seeing him fight again if he is going to insist on not closing the show and doing just enough to win. Hell, he barely opened the show Saturday, much less closed it. At 30, Mayweather’s “win first, entertain second” mentality is not likely to change. It’s time to watch guys who may not be as gifted, but certainly eclipse Mayweather in the heart, passion and guts categories. Give me two lesser-skilled but hungry-for-glory fighters who are willing to risk it all any day of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
prettyboywho said:
This fight, "The World Awaits," in my opinion, is Mayweather’s introduction into Oscar De La Hoya’s world-view of pay PPV: fighting once a year against a handpicked but high-profile, beatable but entertaining opponent. Mayweather, more so than any other fighter in recent memory, has proven that he is simply all about the money. And so from here on in, we will see Mayweather in the public eye more often than ever (he already has a slew of talk show dates lined up) as he milks this victory for all it’s worth. But it won’t be enough for a man of his skill and ego. Within a year or so, he will announce his return against De La Hoya or Mosley, and we will get another round of reality show, pressers, and all the trash talk we can handle. This is the beginning of the De La Hoya phase of Mayweather’s career, because at this point, after tasting the Golden Payday, anything less will not be enough. To paraphrase Larry Merchant, in Mayweather’s mind, beating Tiger Woods has made him Tiger Woods.

Here is one vote hoping that Mayweather isn’t lying about his retirement. I have zero interest in seeing him fight again if he is going to insist on not closing the show and doing just enough to win. Hell, he barely opened the show Saturday, much less closed it. At 30, Mayweather’s “win first, entertain second” mentality is not likely to change. It’s time to watch guys who may not be as gifted, but certainly eclipse Mayweather in the heart, passion and guts categories. Give me two lesser-skilled but hungry-for-glory fighters who are willing to risk it all any day of the week.

Good points there. However, your wish of PBF remaining "retired" won't come true because of the reasons you stated.

Money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
I agree with much of what you say. However, I love watching him fight due to his defense as well as his accurate yet selective punches. In my opinion dodging ten punches by inches from an opponents flurry is just as impressive as landing 5. I find that as humorous as well and often find myself laughing during Mayweather fights. At the other guy. The main problem I see is that the MONEY fights are at a weight that is too high for Floyd to not be sooooo cautious while coasting to a win.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tokyudo said:
Good points there. However, your wish of PBF remaining "retired" won't come true because of the reasons you stated.

Money.
I didnt write this and I dont want him to stay retire. I want him in the ring with SSM by the end of the year. This comes from someone close to the Mayweather camp.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
I would very much like to see a fight with SSM but I think he is the one guy who can beat Floyd right now :( He can but wont!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I would very much like to see a fight with SSM but I think he is the one guy who can beat Floyd right now :( He can but wont!
He WONT becuase BF WONT fight him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
If the money is right he will.
Its a 15 to 20 million dollar fight right now. Like I said befor. BF got to beat the man that beat the man. He barely beat the man. But he wont beat the man that beat the man. YOU DIG???:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
100%. I gotcha but I still think the fight may eventually happen. It would be my 2 favorite fighters right now against each other :( I would be pulling for Floyd but wouldn't be too upset if he lost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
100%. I gotcha but I still think the fight may eventually happen. It would be my 2 favorite fighters right now against each other :( I would be pulling for Floyd but wouldn't be too upset if he lost.
That fight will end in a ko.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
SSM has the best chance of anyone in beating Floyd from 130-147 imo. I just wonder if he could be a bit too far past his prime to beat Floyd now, i really hope the fight is made though. Mosley isnt one for ducking fights that for sure, so with Floyd's cooperation i think this fight will be made.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LeedsLad said:
SSM has the best chance of anyone in beating Floyd from 130-147 imo. I just wonder if he could be a bit too far past his prime to beat Floyd now, i really hope the fight is made though. Mosley isnt one for ducking fights that for sure, so with Floyd's cooperation i think this fight will be made.
I believe this is the fight that will be made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
if you have read any of the crap that Floyd is been talking about how he won't fight anyone withou the money being "right" then you have to believe that he will wait for the next big check from Golden Boy. from all the trash he talks you would get the idea that he thinks he is something special but in most viewers minds the guy is boring and I don't know may people on fire to see him fight again!! let him retire no big loss for true boxing fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
The 2.15m buys may have got to Floyd's head. But you have to remember, outside of the heavyweight division the top 5 buys for fights have all been DLH fights. This aint no coincedence, its DLH that got the buys not Floyd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
that is so Obious to anyone without the Mayweather name is silly .but you have a few guys in here saying that Floyd brought in a mil ppv and that thanks to 50cent the fight was a big success!! 50cent, did he say 50 cent? L.O.L
Floyd will never be a ppv hit till he gets knocked out. in the come back fight he will be a bigger draw that he is today. you heard it here first.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
windowguy said:
that is so Obious to anyone without the Mayweather name is silly .but you have a few guys in here saying that Floyd brought in a mil ppv and that thanks to 50cent the fight was a big success!! 50cent, did he say 50 cent? L.O.L
Floyd will never be a ppv hit till he gets knocked out. in the come back fight he will be a bigger draw that he is today. you heard it here first.
That was me that said that. Bring it on. I was commenting on a recent interview with over 100 people on a radio station regarding the fight. BUT, I never, ever said Floyd was responsible for 1million buys. All I said for the millions time is that if Oscar was fighting ANYBODY else it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. If you disagree with that you're braindead IMO. I'm not trying to be standoffish either just saying.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
i said he brought a million, in delahoya's last fight against mayorga, it made 995,000 ppv buys, and it just so happens that amount doubled when he fought mayweather, so i give at least half the credit to mayweather. Not say that mayweather could do tha tmuch on his own but neither could delahoya.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top