Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, how's it going? I just stumbled onto your forum a couple of days ago while browsing a few boxing forums. I had a look around and everybody seems really nice and inviting, so I thought I'd stick around.

In just under a month's time I'm moving into a new house that has a nice 10 x 15 shed in the backyard. I'm planning on turning this area into my training area, as I'd like to join a boxing club in a few months, and I'd like to be at least somewhat prepared. My question is this:

I'm looking into getting some equipment to get me started, and I was wondering about the weight and size of some stuff. I'm looking to get a heavy bag, a speed bag, some training gloves and some handwraps to get me going. I'm 6'2, and about 260 lbs. Any recommendations you could give me?

And also, if there's any gear that is a 'must have' that I didn't mention, it would be great if you let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum Devlin.

For your size I would recommend a 100+lb heavy bag. I'd probably go with a 130lb or so, like one of these or similar:Large Leather Heavybag - 130lbs. at Ringside.com

Your equipment list seems pretty good for the beginner. I would also recommend a mouthpiece. Get used to wearing a mouthpiece while you train, and it will help with your endurance.

If you have any specific questions on pieces of equipment and what is recommended, let me know...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the informative reply =D

I was just talking to a friend of mine who has a 75lb bag that's he's getting rid of, do you think that a smaller bag such as that would do the trick until I start doing more intense bag workouts?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yes, sorry I was thinking of a bag as a "keeper". The 75lb will aid you in getting into shape before hitting the gym. If you find that the bag swings too much, check the bottom of it. Many bags have a loop at the bottom that you can bungee to the floor to help in that reguard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks again Captain.

I checked out the bag and it does have the bottom loop, so hopefully with a bungie attached it will do the trick for the first while.

One more quick question. Would a jump rope replace running/sprinting, or should I do both while training?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Definitely do both. Running is one of the best things you can do for endurance. Jump rope is very good for warming up and getting the blood circulating before the workout. It will get your heart rate up and strengthen shoulders and legs, but doesnt do nearly as much for stamina as runing does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts