Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your amatuer experience, do you usually bring your own gloves and headgear to a fight? If so, how do you assure your opponent hasnt modified his glove? Can you wear non-traditional headgear such as mexican style or face saver style? thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
This usually depends on each states rules or association's rules.Here in MD Gloves are supplied by the promoter of the bout which is usually the head of the hosting gym with sanctioning bodies overseeing the the gloves which are checked at ringside before a fight.Headgear is usually provided by the boxer with type and stlye regulated by which ever sanctioning body is juridition over the bout.....Bill 1234 can tell you about rules in Pa they may be slightly different from state to state

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I think here in PA you need to bring your own head gear, cup, vasaline, etc. But I'm not sure about gloves. I think you need to bring your own gloves too, but they get inspected. As far as head gear, I think your only allowd the traditional sparring head gear with cheek bone protection. Again, I think they inspect it. Where are you in PA? Anywhere near Easton?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info ... I live on the edge of Havertown/Upper Darby about 15 minutes out of Philadelphia (19083 zip code)

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Steve19083 said:
(190Thanks for the info ... I live on the edge of Havertown/Upper Darby about 15 minutes out of Philadelphia 83 zip code)

Oh, ok. I know where that is. I'm not too familiar with the area though. If I were you, I'd go to Smokin' Joe's gym (Joe Frazier's). I'm not sure where it is in Philly though. I think its on Main street or something. I'd ask Captainobvious99 where it is, he knows.

PS sorry were sending you around to all different people lol.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Joe Frazier's Gym - 2917 North Broad St. - 215-221-5303

There ya go. That is in Philly so you should be good to go. I have 5 others in Philly if that one doesn't work out for you. Let me know my friend.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Oh. Cool. Did you buy it, or print it out? Where did you get it? Because I want to get one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newby questions

I am also new to boxing, I have been training for about 6 months. Is there any women fighters out there that fight in 35+ amateur? It seems like it is hard to find women who want to fight in this age group. I live in Arizona and attend a small gym where 4 World Champion kid amateur boxers have come out of, as well as my friend who just took the World Title at the Ringside Amateur Tournament in Kansas City. How do I find other fighters. My coaches say I am a Natural.:thumbsup: :p

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
To be completely honest I do not know where you can find a solid base of 35+ female boxers to box with. I would wait for CaptainObvious or Bill1234 to answer this one. Good luck with everything though!!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
wannafightgirl said:
I am also new to boxing, I have been training for about 6 months. Is there any women fighters out there that fight in 35+ amateur? It seems like it is hard to find women who want to fight in this age group. I live in Arizona and attend a small gym where 4 World Champion kid amateur boxers have come out of, as well as my friend who just took the World Title at the Ringside Amateur Tournament in Kansas City. How do I find other fighters. My coaches say I am a Natural.:thumbsup: :p
To be honest, there aren't very many girls who box at all. There are 2 at my gym, and the one has a shot at fighting Laila Ali, but girls and boxing don't really seem to mix well with each other popularity wise. Its hard enough to find a solid base of women boxers, let a lone a certain age group. But good luck trying to find one.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That is exactly what I figured. I just didn't want to let her down. I hope she can find something. I mean, its sad if you have a passion and you aren't able to pursue it to its fullest extent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts