Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I wasn't sure if it had been posted about prior to this, but I thought I would let you guys know... I've been hearing about this book that was recently released and by all accounts, it provides excellent insight into the historic and highly disputed confrontation between Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvelous Marvin Hagler. As soon as I am able, I plan to get a hold of a copy and I will give my review.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts

I wasn't sure if it had been posted about prior to this, but I thought I would let you guys know... I've been hearing about this book that was recently released and by all accounts, it provides excellent insight into the historic and highly disputed confrontation between Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvelous Marvin Hagler. As soon as I am able, I plan to get a hold of a copy and I will give my review.
Great, looking forward to your review, and perhaps we can claim here at the forum to finally put closure to this endless debate as to who actually won that damm fight.....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, looking forward to your review, and perhaps we can claim here at the forum to finally put closure to this endless debate as to who actually won that damm fight.....
I love Hagler and I remember watching as a three year old (believe it or not) and wanting him to win, but this is my scorecard based on the last time I watched the fight:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That was my scorecard from my last viewing.
Years ago I remember scoring it for Hagler, but I have to believe that my judgement is better now since I am older and a more experienced fight fan. I honestly can't fault anyone for who they had winning unless they were like official judge Jose Juan Guerra who somehow had it 118-110 for Leonard. If that isn't the most bogus card ever, I'm not sure what is. Here are the scorecards from the ringside press:

AP: 117-112 Hagler
New York Daily News: 117-111 Leonard
New York Times: 114-114
New York Post: 114-114
Newsday: 115-114 Hagler
Chicago Tribune: 7-5 in rounds Hagler
Houston Chronicle: 115-114 Leonard
Washington Post: 114-114
Boston Globe: 117-111 Leonard
Boston Herald 116-113 Leonard
Baltimore Sun: 7-5 in rounds Leonard
Oakland Tribune: 117-112 Leonard
San Jose Mercury-News: 116-115 Hagler

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I haven't gotten a chance to read it, but I read Kimball's special contributor columns on ESPN.com and I am interested.
I couldn't keep my head out of it :laugh::laugh:. Really good book IMO, provides quite a good insight.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't keep my head out of it :laugh::laugh:. Really good book IMO, provides quite a good insight.
Does Duran get as much run as Leonard and Hearns? If it focused on one guy more than the others, it would probably agitate me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts