Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sparred for the second time yesterday. Overall, it was an improvement for me. However, I'm in the habit of giving up my height advantage and dropping my eyes. I walked right into a low jab that nailed my eye - that hurt for a few seconds.

Another problem - I like to hit hard. I hit the heavy bag hard and enjoy it. But, when sparring I don't want to hit my opponent that hard. So, in 3 rounds I only threw maybe 3 punches with my right. I try to tap, tap, tap, and am not nearly as aggressive as I could be. It's a big adjustment. But, I guess it's a good opportunity to work on form and movement. I bet if I sparred more often I'll get better at that.

I threw a lot of jabs. I threw some pretty good jabs to the body and that was cool. Man, hitting a moving boxer sure is tougher. And, the guy I sparred with is certainly one of our better boxers. I've admired his skills lately and he's pretty effective.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well im guna asume you guys where protective head gear when you spar? if thats the case dont worry about hurting him because you really cant lol. though it sounds like your improving so just keep at it. wish i was allowed to spar again *sigh*

·
Registered
53 Posts
i ask because a couple of the guys at my gym often dont wear head gear when they spar, these guys are very experienced boxers granted but they are HUGE, take a hit from them and you are down and out. so yeah i thought i should ask. but as i said, if you wear full sparring gear you are not going to hurt the guy so try not to worry about it too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts