Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got everlast durahide advanced headgear, hope thats right if not let me know, but i am new to sparring and wanted to know what kind of things i should do during training with this headgear to improve. thanks!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well you need to put on the headgear and this will improve your sparring so you don't get hit so hard :laugh: :cheeky4: new to sparring? my first time i went all out throwing straight rights knowing that was my strongest punch. i wanted to take the guys head off. I came out there with a bruise on the bridge of my nose. Just stay calm you're gonna get nervous looking at the guy ready to spar. Once it starts just stay calm. Work at your pace don't let him dictate it. And don't forget your jab! jab is the most important punch in boxing. Jab jab jab. Just pepper it and get it out there. Annoy him with it and then do the advanced punches when you feel its the right time.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
yeah i don't have a chin protector when i use my headgear. Beware of uppercuts they can be vicious :laugh: i got hit and my head flew in the air.

·
Registered
212 Posts
well im not scared i just am like anticipating it ya know i have been training for about a month to start
how come ur not signing up to a boxing gym? you sound like ur serious about getting into boxing but ur not gonna get that good without a trainer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats the thing, nothing nearby and i have to pay for college so i cant afford that. there is a boxing club at my college with 5 coaches so i go there in 3 weeks and ill get officially taught, i am just super interested and i have my track coach teach me, he was a teacher for usa boxing he said so he like knows how to teach, but we have different styles but he taught me the basics now i am training to get to 210 lbs from 223 so i have some work the next 3 weeks haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
new to it

dont know what to expect here man. what does this feel like? anything to expect?
I just recenty started sparring after training for about 3 months. First off, it's normal to be nervous about it. First time I sparred was with my coach and as we put on the head gear he just asked if I was nervous and I was honest - I said "no". He replied that if your not nervous your first time sparring than there's something wrong with you - so, as expected, there's something wrong with me. :D

I doubt you'll start out formal training by sparring. When you do spar remember to keep your eyes up on your opponent. Keep your hands up. That part should be automatic when you start sparring, anyway.

It's fun as hell. I don't tee off on a guy when sparring. I'm a heavyweight, too, and if I connect with a guy's noggin at full force it's very impolite. Based on my limited exposure, it's bad etequite to tee off when sparring.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I just recenty started sparring after training for about 3 months. First off, it's normal to be nervous about it. First time I sparred was with my coach and as we put on the head gear he just asked if I was nervous and I was honest - I said "no". He replied that if your not nervous your first time sparring than there's something wrong with you - so, as expected, there's something wrong with me. :D

I doubt you'll start out formal training by sparring. When you do spar remember to keep your eyes up on your opponent. Keep your hands up. That part should be automatic when you start sparring, anyway.

It's fun as hell. I don't tee off on a guy when sparring. I'm a heavyweight, too, and if I connect with a guy's noggin at full force it's very impolite. Based on my limited exposure, it's bad etequite to tee off when sparring.
Somebody tell the new guy that sparred me it was impolite cause he gave me a bruise under my eye :laugh: :thumbsup: He hit hard so me as a veteran had to hit him harder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts