Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Speed and Power

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JAYBOZ 
#1 ·
Are there any theads out there about gaining speed and power? I read that one of the mods was going to post a sticky regarding power but didn't see it.

One exercise my old trainer showed me was jabbing with 5-10lb weights in my hand. He had me going back and forth, corner to corner in the ring. I changed it a little when I started back up in my basement lately. I get in my stance with 5 or 10lbs in each hand and punch left right, left right, for about 100-150 reps focusing on snapping and pulling back quickly.

Do you guys agree that this is a good exercise that will promote speed? If not, is there anything similar?

Are there exercises to promote power, or just great mechanics? If just mechanics, could you ellaborate?

Thanks . . .

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
At this point in time, I don't have anyone to hold the bag for me. Any other suggestions as an alternative? Mechanics, or resistance training?

On a lighter side, during the new Rocky trailor, I saw him training, and the idea was to be a pure power puncher or brawler. Anyway, I saw him with a 60lb dumbell in each hand, standing, and stepping into it trying to throw something, but couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a hook or uppercut. I thought that was pretty funny. Please tell me that's just Hollywood being ignorant! ;)

Discussion starter · #5 ·
yeah i haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know how much his fighting style actually deviated from the past movies (which was get hit in the face 12 times and then throw a quick right-left, more or less). i just thought that 60lb dumbell workout was hillarious.

actually, i need to go see that movie. maybe tonight . .

Discussion starter · #7 ·
kami22 said:
Hey Jay,
One great way to improve punching power is to take a smaller medicine ball (around 15.lbs would be good, or for a bigger guy maybe 20-30), stand in your fighting stance, and throw the ball, pushing it forward in the same motion you would throw a punch. (Don't know if that makes any sense) This can be done with both the jab and the straight. I suppose you could do it for the hook, but that would be harder. This is supposed to develope explosive power, because unlike with lifting weights, you're not reaching a point and then stopping your motion. You're pushing through the whole motion, so it's more like a punch in that there is something of an explosive force moving outward from your body. Hope that makes sense. Also, it helps if you have one of those rubberized medicine balls, because that way, you can do it in front of a wall and it'll bounce back to you.

Hope that helps!

And, yes, weighted gloves (or punching with weights in your hands) is great for improving speed. Another sure bet is the rhythm/speed bag. A great tool for improving hand speed and reaction time.
Great advice man. That does make a lot of sense to me. I'd imagine laying on a weight bench and throwing the ball up and catching it with the same hand would work too. Cool. Thanks a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.