Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spencer Oliver writes-off Cotto; Marco Huck; Israel Vazquez to meet fans
31.07.08 - Former EBU super-bantamweight champion Spencer Oliver has told Setanta Sports News that there is no way back for Miguel Angel Cotto following his WBA welterweight title loss to Antonio Margarito at the weekend..

Cotto received what Oliver described as ‘a systematic beating’ and rubbished reports that the former undefeated WBA champion should get a rematch.

“Cotto was a big name in boxing what with [Floyd] Mayweather retiring. Over the first five rounds Cotto looked phenomenal, moving all the time, on the back foot and picking his punches.

“But in the sixth round he started looking vulnerable but the seventh round was the turning point, Margarito did a fantastic job.

“In the end he just broke his heart. He’ll never be the same fighter again, I can’t see him being any sort of force again.

“My feeling is he should retire but he’s not going to retire. There are too many fighters out there. But he will not be the same force he was before this fight.”

Spencer Oliver writes-off Cotto; Marco Huck; Israel Vazquez to meet fans
Exactly how I feel, except the retiring part. Miguel Cotto hasn't made a big enough name for himself to retire, only to Puerto Rico. Felix Trinidad made a big name for himself in the boxing world, so he definitely shouldn't retire, but I don't think we'll ever see the same Cotto.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I thinks its a little premature to say things like this.

Its not the first time we've seen a fighter breaking down to pressure and not the last.

Maybe he's thinking about the Meldric Taylor x JCC fight but its not the same thing, every case is a case. And I dont think Cotto is done, no way.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cotto will be back, its BS statements like this that cost Spencer his job on T.V, nonsense.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Cotto is mentally tough and if anyone can come back from this sort of devastation, it is him. It's certainly no foregone conclusion, though. I think the part about him breaking his heart was unnecessary and the part about him not being a force was ignorant. He may never be a force against Margarito, but he just might beat everyone else he faces.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
wow so one fighter loses and should retire.

if the beating theory is the case, then rafael marquez and israel vasquez should retire.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Didn't have chance to comment on the fight in the main threads and don't have time to look through now, so il just post in here. It was a great fight and both guys deserve alot of credit, Margarito fought a great fight and thoroughly deserved the win. Cotto will be back though. Props to Rotten Apple too, he called it from the start:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Let people talk. Cotto will come back and be champion again

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This guy is an idiot. Plenty of guys have taken beatings far worse than the one Cotto took and come back to do very well. This guy wrote this just to buzz his name.

·
Registered
472 Posts
geez take one lose and you have to retire?? r better yet, he didnt look good for what? 5 rounds?? hes saying you should stop doing what you have been doing your entire left all because of five 3 mintue rounds?? :laugh: what an idiot...

i guess ali should of retired after his first lose too huh?

people like this need to get bitch-slaped

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cotto's not done. Margarito's just an iron man.

Tommy Hearns got stopped a round before the end by Leonard. He came back well, and when he fought Leonard again he arguably won.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dude I love your sig LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts