Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Against all odds i would say Jackson Osei bonsu outpointed Baldomir to win a close decision in Antwerp in a title eliminator for the WBC. I was ringside when Jackson lost two rounds due to headbutts and was deducted two points. Baldomir countered Jackson's assaults with uppercuts and good craftmanship but in the end the jury decided in favor of Jackson, with one jurymember calling it an even match 113 113. The only differance i could see was the homeadvantage really. I dont want to take anything away from Jackson but Baldomir was supperb in countering and i would have called it a draw taking in considderation the two points deducted for headbutts.
Anyway Belgium has a topcontendor in the welterweightdevision and this is great. For Belgium Jackson is the next great boxing champ after Jean Pierre Coopman who fought Ali bravely.

It was a great night of boxing, i feel sorry for Baldomir because when i asked him to sign a glove and told him he won the fight on points he just signed and looked dissappointed. Boxingtechnically he won the fight on points...(edit:my first impression watching the fight from the 1st row, however after watching the game on tv again i have to admit Jackson won the toe to toe action in the 11th with no clear answer from Baldomir who was my favorit to be honest.)

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Against all odds i would say Jackson Osei bonsu outpointed Baldomir to win a close decision in Antwerp in a title eliminator for the WBC. I was ringside when Jackson lost two rounds due to headbutts and was deducted two points. Baldomir countered Jackson's assaults with uppercuts and good craftmanship but in the end the jury decided in favor of Jackson, with one jurymember calling it an even match 113 113. The only differance i could see was the homeadvantage really. I dont want to take anything away from Jackson but Baldomir was supperb in countering and i would have called it a draw taking in considderation the two points deducted for headbutts.
Anyway Belgium has a topcontendor in the welterweightdevision and this is great. For Belgium Jackson is the next great boxing champ after Jean Pierre Coopman who fought Ali bravely.

It was a great night of boxing, i feel sorry for Baldomir because when i asked him to sign a glove and told him he won the fight on points he just signed and looked dissappointed. Boxingtechnically he won the fight on points...
You give Jackson a chance against Berto? I'll have to watch this fight but if he couldn't soundly beat Baldomir and fought dirty to do it, I don't like his chances.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Thanks for the update Franky :thumbsup:. I haven't seen results anywhere else on the net. Had to change the title because other members might not want to know the results until they watch the fight though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry didn't want to spoil the fun for the guys by publicing the news before they could watch the fight. Obama, i can't say anything in regard of Jackson vs Berto because frankly i dont now anything about Berto, shame. For European boxingfans it's hard to be up to date even with the internet. I try but it's hard, no HBO or anything like in the UK. This was the best night of boxing in my life and my symphatie goes out to Baldomir, i feel really bad knowing this probably means the end of his beautifull carreer, i cant feel any joy for my fellow countryman Jackson because of this. BALDOMIR DID GREAT IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WATCH HIM FIGHT.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Sorry didn't want to spoil the fun for the guys by publicing the news before they could watch the fight. Obama, i can't say anything in regard of Jackson vs Berto because frankly i dont now anything about Berto, shame. For European boxingfans it's hard to be up to date even with the internet. I try but it's hard, no HBO or anything like in the UK. This was the best night of boxing in my life and my symphatie goes out to Baldomir, i feel really bad knowing this probably means the end of his beautifull carreer, i cant feel any joy for my fellow countryman Jackson because of this. BALDOMIR DID GREAT IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WATCH HIM FIGHT.
There's a thread of Berto fights on this forum if you want to check him out:

http://www.boxingforum.com/boxing-videos-downloads/7915-andre-berto-fights.html

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Thanks Obama, i guess i'm gettin old and soft feeling so bad for Baldomir:facepalm:, this guy was really great, boxing's the best sport in the world.
Yes it is.

Baldomir is a good guy and he has made his impact in the sport in 2006.

As for Bonsu, I dont really know because I've seen him fight only a few times and I thought he was a little wild and flawed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I absolutely love Baldomir. Im not jaded, i dont think he is anywhere near one of the best fighters... but his heart has got to be up there. honestly, he is a man born with almost NO physical gifts. he's not fast, he;s not particularly strong, and really overall not an outstanding athlete. but i think he embodies what boxing is (or atleast should be) he took what he had, and really made the best of it. EVERY fight you could see the determination. Even when he was getting soundly outpointed, he was always chasing him man down, never giving up, and always putting in hard work.

and on top of that, he's life story is really touching.

-Ian

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I feel sorry for Baldomir, I really wanted him to win. Never mind, neither will win the world title again anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I watched the fight again on tv and i have to admit that Jackson grabbed the victory (edit: not that clearly as i mentioned before) in round 11, winning the toe to toe action with no clear answer in the 12th from Baldomir. Credit to Jackson. The points deducted in the 3rd and 7th round for unintentional headbutts made it a exciting wait for the jurydecision.
Damn it's hard to objectively jury a close fight sitting ringside surrounded by 8000 crazy fans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts