Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who ya got?

1 - 20 of 451 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HATTON: I'LL QUIT IF I LOSE
By Nick Parkinson
Ricky Hatton may consider quitting if he loses.

RICKY HATTON will consider quitting if he loses to Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas on Saturday. But Hatton is confident of returning to his vintage best in a clash between two former world champions. Two disappointing displays on the trot have already left the Manchester light-welterweight questioning his future in boxing – before he signed to fight American Malignaggi. ‘The Hitman’ lost his unbeaten record when he was knocked out by Floyd Mayweather Junior last December – before then getting caught too many times in a laboured points win over Juan Lazcano in May. Manchester City fan Hatton, who admits to liking a pint and a curry when not in training, has revealed that he wondered if he was past his best after the Lazcano fight, before he then axed long-term trainer Billy Graham. Under new cornermen Lee Beard and Floyd Mayweather Senior, Hatton, 30, is buzzing and said: “It’s the best training camp I’ve had for two or three years.
“I needed this camp to bring my confidence back. I’ve gone from getting in at 5.30 in the morning to running at 5.30 every morning.

“After the Mayweather loss and the performance against Lazcano, I really needed something to pick me up.
“I started thinking to myself was I past it and had I seen better days? I needed this camp to put my mind at rest. I thought about quitting a couple of times.
“I’m a sensible lad and you need to be honest with yourself in this sport.
“I was really thinking about it. Had I had too many hard fights? The warning signs were there and I seriously thought if I didn’t see any improvement in my performance maybe it was something I had to think seriously about it.
“I started thinking that I’ve had two fights on the trot where I didn’t produce a vintage Ricky Hatton performance. I started thinking why have I stopped using my jab and my boxing ability? I was thinking that tough fights were catching up with me. But the way this camp’s gone, I wouldn’t like to put my finger on how many fights I’ll have left.
“If I lost I would seriously have to think about it. Malignaggi is a fantastic talent and a lot tougher than he looks.
“But if you look at what he’s got in his arsenal and what I’ve got, I should definitely win.
“Against Lazcano I was about half of what I should have been. I was s***ing myself getting into that ring because I didn’t do half the training I should have, because of a chest infection. I was just pleased to get through it but it wasn’t vintage.”
Mayweather Snr has had Hatton running five miles up a mountain each morning to get him fighting fit – but the world ten stone No.1 insists his style will remain all-attack for his first fight without Graham in the corner.
He said: “I will be forever grateful to Billy and it’ll be strange getting into the ring without him.
“But I’ve needed this fight to work on technical things – to realise I’m not just a powerhouse who bulldozes opponents.
“Floyd hasn’t changed my style. He’s just polished things up a bit.”
Hatton now hopes to set up a blockbuster against the winner of Oscar De La Hoya against Manny Pacquiao on December 6.
He said: “Juan Manuel Marquez is also talking about stepping up a division and that would be good.
“There are still massive fights out there.”

Anyone buying it? I don't. I think Hatton could very well lose on Saturday. That being said, I don't think there any chance Hatton retires.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
If he loses to Malignaggi he needs to retire

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If Ricky loses to Malignaggi then he should retire because if he's losing to him he wont beat guys like Pac, Oscar and Floyd.

He wont though, Ricky will hammer this mouth peice!

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
If Paulie worms his way to a decision that never really gave Hatton a chance to get off Hatton shouldn't retire. Only if we see Paulie beat up Hatton should he retire. I highly doubt Paulie can do that.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
If Paulie worms his way to a decision that never really gave Hatton a chance to get off Hatton shouldn't retire. Only if we see Paulie beat up Hatton should he retire. I highly doubt Paulie can do that.
Me too. Malignaggi doesn't really have the power. If it's someone getting OUTBOXED, then it may be Hatton, if it's someone getting BEATEN UP, it'll almost definitely be Paulie.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Me too. Malignaggi doesn't really have the power. If it's someone getting OUTBOXED, then it may be Hatton, if it's someone getting BEATEN UP, it'll almost definitely be Paulie.
I think both will happen. I think Hatton will get outboxed, and Malignaggi will get beat up. In the end, I think those two factors will lead to a relatively close decision one way or the other.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I think both will happen. I think Hatton will get outboxed, and Malignaggi will get beat up. In the end, I think those two factors will lead to a relatively clos decision one way or the other.
Yeah that will probably happen. Either way I don't see Hatton getting beaten up.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
The key in this fight is Rickys faster accross the ring than Paulie is. For all the hand speed Paul has his legs are not quite as fasr as his hands (or his mouth). Ricky can easily get close to him to do the damage because as we all know, Hattons like a racing snake on his toes.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Maybe I'm way off with this fight, but I have said from day one that this fight is an absolute layup for Hatton. I really see absolutely no way he loses this one as long as he doesn't try to be slick. He needs to just hold Paulie still and beat the hell out of him like Tszyu. Hatton can jump in wide open and will never have to pay. Easy win IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure he doesn't want to show off his new boxing "skills" Mayweather is teaching him. If he does that then Pualie will rack up rounds until Hatton reverts back to what he does best.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm not sure he doesn't want to show off his new boxing "skills" Mayweather is teaching him. If he does that then Pualie will rack up rounds until Hatton reverts back to what he does best.
He may try, but Hatton just can't ever be a slick fighter. He's gotten this far based on overwhelming opponents. I see what you're saying about him trying to box and later reverting back to his norm. I think that has a very good chance at happening.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Grant, i think what he means with the new skills is just take a bit more time on the way in and show some more feints and jabs. I dont think he's going into the fight with a plan to be SRL. :laugh::thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
He may try, but Hatton just can't ever be a slick fighter. He's gotten this far based on overwhelming opponents. I see what you're saying about him trying to box and later reverting back to his norm. I think that has a very good chance at happening.
Agreed man, Hatton will only ever be effective at being a pressure fighter. A couple of subtle changes won't do him harm but he can't change his style the way he's been saying.

Grant, i think what he means with the new skills is just take a bit more time on the way in and show some more feints and jabs. I dont think he's going into the fight with a plan to be SRL. :laugh::thumbsup:
LOL..I thought he was planning the philly shell type of shitt. :p He did say "you're going to see a whole different Ricky Hatton" though. I don't like the sound of that.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Sounds like him and mayweather are having serious problems in camp. Take the speculation as you want. As for my thoughts about this, If paulie can match what he did against cotto, he'll win, because hatton is no cotto. Paulie UD, I hope hatton retires afterwards. 40 something and 2 is no shame.

·
Registered
830 Posts
As long as we don't have to watch Paulie get a haircut mid-fight this time I will rest easy.

Personally I hope Hatton holds him with one hand and beats the shat out of him with the other...Haha.

For this one I'd like to see the ring replaced with a telephone box :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
As long as we don't have to watch Paulie get a haircut mid-fight this time I will rest easy.

Personally I hope Hatton holds him with one hand and beats the shat out of him with the other...Haha.

That sounds exciting..

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

LOL at the haircut line! I'm hoping Hatton wins this one.

1 - 20 of 451 Posts