Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Primed Sugar Ray Leonard VS. A Primed De La Hoya at True Welter: Your thoughts as to how long the fight would last/the fight's result?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Man...good question. I think it would go the distance with SRL getting a close decision.

He had the better handspeed (in my opinion) and better footwork. Oscar had more power and better (more effective) combinations. Once again, IMO.

Would be a hell of afight to watch though for sure

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Captain. I was hopin' someone would make reference to another oversized Welterweight that SRL actually whipped. This is a good fight to point out due to the stamina levels of the two fighters in question. Hint: It made Ring Mags. "Fight of the Year." ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, my pred. on this fight is SRL winning a clear UD. I think this would go to the cards beit 12 or 15 rounds. I honestly don't see Sugar Knockin' Oscar out. His chin has always been way better than average. Let us remember, the only one to ever KO DLH was B-Hop, and that was from a liver shot. In short, SRL would do the same thing Mayweather did but more impressively and would make it a more sensational fight.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Okay, my pred. on this fight is SRL winning a clear UD. I think this would go to the cards beit 12 or 15 rounds. I honestly don't see Sugar Knockin' Oscar out. His chin has always been way better than average. Let us remember, the only one to ever KO DLH was B-Hop, and that was from a liver shot. In short, SRL would do the same thing Mayweather did but more impressively and would make it a more sensational fight.
Yeah, I agree. Neither guy would be KO'd. I think it would be the puncher vs slick boxer matchup and SRL would take home the decision in that matchup

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
SRL would win a clear UD.

Better footwork, greater handspeed and ring generalship. Oscar is the better puncher but Tommy Hearns was a much bigger puncher than Oscar and also a better boxer, and still didnt get close to KO'ing SRL.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
TKO in the 14th. over "The Motor-City Cobra"
I think he was talking about Hagler. From what you were implying that's who I understood as while.
SRL would win a clear UD.

Better footwork, greater handspeed and ring generalship. Oscar is the better puncher but Tommy Hearns was a much bigger puncher than Oscar and also a better boxer, and still didnt get close to KO'ing SRL.
I agree, but I wouldn't count out Oscar though.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
It would go the distance if it was a 12 round fight. If it was a 15 round fight, Leonard would have a good chance of stopping oscar or making him quit. Leonard would do much what Mosley did, only slightly better.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I think he was talking about Hagler. From what you were implying that's who I understood as while.

I agree, but I wouldn't count out Oscar though.
He was talking about hearns, he said welterweight, hagler never was.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I'd have it a bit wider. I'd say that SRL would win like 118-110. A couple of close rounds, but SRL is just to good.
Hmm Oscar got skills. SRL is the much better fighter IMO but Oscar wouldn't lose a lopsided decision like that.

It would go the distance if it was a 12 round fight. If it was a 15 round fight, Leonard would have a good chance of stopping oscar or making him quit. Leonard would do much what Mosley did, only slightly better.
Oscar has a great chin though. He's been dropped but never seriously hurt. Hearns is the only welter that could stop him in his prime IMO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts