Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new to this board today. About 6 months ago i started boxing training with a very reputable trainer. Something i have always wanted to do but never had time. Now i have extra time and am putting 110% towards this. I have run into a problem. I would say about a month ago i was able to work the mitts for about 4 rounds no problem. Now i get exhaust really fast. It seems that my stamina has just gone down the drain. I have noticed my stamina depleting in my workout and also in running. Its like its just not there anymore. I thought maybe it was because i was working out too hard or something and maybe it would just fix itself....not the case. still having issues. Any recommendations on how i might be able to improve my stamina?? Any infomation will be greatly appreciated and welcomed with open ears.

thanks

Pistos

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Hey Pistos, welcome to the forum.

I was in a similar situation as you. I had always had plenty of energy and stamina, but I started getting really drained and wondering why I couldnt keep up anymore.

Here is what I would recommend first, and you can let me know if you are doing this or not, and then we'll go from there.

1st- How much sleep are you getting? One thing that many people dont realize is that you MUST get enough sleep for your muscles to recover properly. Many weight trainers and athletic trainers will tell you that sleep is crucial to muscle development, growth, and repair. When you break your body down in the gym during a workout, you need to allow alot of sleep time in for your muscles to "recover".

2nd-This also leads me into the second thing you need to do, which is eat plenty of protein rich foods. Protein helps to aid in muscle recovery after workouts. Thats why you see those big muscle heads in the gym swiggin back liters of protein drinks after their workouts. I would suggest eating a good high protein meal or snack after you workout.

3rd- Also, make sure your getting PLENTY of water in. If you start to get dehydrated, that will suck the energy out of you as well. I try to mainly drink water only throughout the day instead of any other drinks (soda, tea, etc) Drinking alot of water really helps to keep you healthier.

4th- Eat better. I was in the habit of eating whatever I wanted and it just wasnt allwoing me to get the performance I needed. I dont know if your a spaghetti/pasta guy, but many athletes/track competitors, etc will eat a big pasta meal the night before they are going to be competing. This gives you a nice boost of carbs and really helps to keep you energized the next day.
Generally eating healthier meals has really improved my stamina though. Remember that what your putting in is what your getting out. If you eat junk, you're gonna feel like it.

So to recap- sleep, water, protein, eat healthier.
If you do that you'll notice results very quickly.

Now, if your doing these things (be honest with yourself), and you still dont see any result than let me know. But I think that doing that should put you back on track.

Please also post what your workout regimen is so I can get a better idea of what you're doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW. i have asked others the same question and have never got this response. First of all thanks a bunch for the reply!!

1) Sleep? Yeah i think i found my problem. It is not normal if i go to bed at 10 or even 11. If i get into bed at 11 then something is up. Honestly. I know personally that i need to definitely work on sleeping more, but didn't know it would take such a toll.

2) Protein? all over it. Usually thats all i eat. Before i got into boxing i was into bodybuilding so the habit of eating lots of protein carried over as well.

3) Water? That is all i drink. I have vitamin water in the morning and water the rest of the whole day. Unfortunately if i am not drinking water i am drinking orange juice and that is usually late at night. Cant get away from it.

4) I do need to eat better. I only eat two times a day. Lunch and dinner. I have recently starting consuming something in the morning.

my workout

3-4 rnds jump rope
3 rounds showdowboxing
3 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds double end bag
2-3 rounds working the mitts
3 rounds speed bag
abs,shoulder circuit,chest,arms depending on the day

Let me know what you think, and once again...thanks a bunch for the info..I love this forum already.

Pistos(which means faithful in greek) just in case your hispanic and know some spanish i wasn't going for drink which is what pistos is in spanish.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Well, you're mostly on track there then i guess.
I would recommend SOME sort of breakfast in the morning though. You need some calories in you to burn.

Also, yes the sleep is VERY important. sleep is the biggest factor in muscle recovery.

·
Registered
397 Posts
First of all it could be from a number of things

1) If this problem has come as sudden as you say, it maybe from a drop in Testosterone which could be from your hormones declining. Depending on your age this could be either solved with an over the counter Testosterone Booster or simply getting more sleep.

2) Diet is everything. Make sure your eating right and follwing a good diet. Water is also an essential part of your diet wether your an athlete or not. I train in MMA and I drink at least a gallon of water per day on training days sometimes 2

3) Exercise (both Aerobic and Anaerobic) exercise gives you more energy beleive it or not.

4) Other things like

going to see a chiropractor or doing yoga can make you feel like a totally new person.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Did your trainer up the pace? Because for the first 6 months, all I did on the mits was 1-2, he'd stop and show me what I did wrong, or let me continue, then he might go 1-2-3, and then he might not say anything for another 5-10 seconds, then he would go 1, then he would go 1-2-3, duck, 2-3-2. Stuff like that, but now my trainer goes 1-2-3-4-5-6 duck -2-3-2 duck, 3-2. And after a few times of that, I'm getting more tired. So it might just be the work rate. Are you throwing more punches now? Because I had the same problem as you, but now its back to normal, I just sort of worked through it, and now its a lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts