Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm Charles and I'm 13, and I want to start boxing.

I want to know, am I a little late starting? I've been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 6-7 months, and as I want to make the transition into MMA, I feel that learning some kind of standup game is necessary.

I know a boxing coach who used to box professionally, so I can train with him. What kind of stuff will I need? I have hand wraps from my week or two of Muay Thai that I took to make my standup tolerable, but I want to take it further with boxing. I dunno what to wear either.. Will basketball shorts and sleeveless shirts be ok?

Thanks in advance guys. Oh yeah and I want to compete in amatuer boxing, so I'm worried that I'm starting later than anybody else, giving me a distinct disadvantage. Will I find that most people in amatuer competition will have a lot more experience than me?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Charles, first off- welcome to the forum!

At age 13 your not starting too late. As far as gear you will need, that all depends on what your trainer/gym provides. In most cases, all you need are your handwraps, some comfortable workout clothes/tennis shoes and the desire to work hard. Becoming a good boxer takes alot of time and determination. Getting yourself started with a good trainer will help you to develop properly. I think your somewhere in the middle of the road for starting ages, so I dont think that you have to worry about a big lack of experience in amateur fighting. Besides, you wont get to that point until your trainer and you feel your ready anyways.
Good Luck to you, and feel free to ask any questions along the way. We have a great group of forum members that are happy to help you out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mate I'm 17 and have just started and doing fine.

You'll have a big advantage starting so young, boxing will really help with your MMA as well as it's the best form of striking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts