Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm brand new to this forum so I'm sorry if this is either an often asked question that irritates you guys, or this is the wrong forum.

Here goes, I'm 21 years old and in college. I have been a good athlete all my life...quarterback in football, pitcher and outfielder in baseball...etc. Well, since I've been in college and out of highschool, I've constantly been interested in getting into another form of competition that is new and challenging. I believe boxing is that challenge. I've always been interested in fighting, and tend to be that guy getting into one from time to time, but I've never done it in an organized fashion.

Also, I've followed professional boxing casually my whole life and love that it is a sport that with hard work and dedication, along with natural athletic ability, one can become very good at.

My questions are:

1)Am I too old to get into boxing at age 21? I go about 6'0 180 and keep myself in good shape lifting weights and jogging from time to time, but nothing compared to what boxing probably entails.

2)What does it take, money and equipment wise, to get started?

3)What kind of time commitment am I looking at assuming I was to dedicate myself to this with the hopes of competing in real boxing bouts given ample time to train?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1)No you're not, but you should stop lifting weights, unless u want to be a slow heavyweight
2)Now this one depends on the gym that you gonna go to. one gym can give you equipment, the other one might not.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
1. Your never too old.....unless you want to be a champion.
2. Don't lift weights. In the past the boxers that did had stamina and speed problems.
3. It will cost some money, but a lot of it has to do with what equipment you get.
4. It takes a lot of commitment to be a boxer, but a lot of it has to do with how hard you gym will work you. The gym I go to will work you like a dog, or will let you off of the hook. It also has a lot to do with you. How far you are willing to push your self, and how hard you are willing to work. For me, it took like 3-4 months before they kicked up my routine and made it harder. In the start, they didn't have me doing much, to see if I would stick around or not so they knew if it was worth while to put their time into me. They might do the same to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts