Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 18 and I really want to pursue boxing. I don't know how far I can take myself, but I'm willing to work hard and I'm very interested to at least find out. Physically, I am in good, not great, shape as I have been thinking on this and following a regimen of running, push-ups and crunches 5 days a week for a couple of months now. I have not ever been in a ring, but once the school year kicks off I will look into finding a trainer in my area (Anyone know of good places in Indiana?). I am thinking about aiming at the 2008 Golden Gloves tournament, for now, but what then? How does the progression from nobody to amateur to somebody/ranked fighter work in boxing? I am not looking to make the jump in less than a couple of years or anything crazy, I just want to set my sights high right from the gate and see how close to them I can get.

Does anyone have any information/advice/whatever for me? Anything you feel is relevant would be appreciated.

Edit: Looking around online it looks like the nearest boxing gym will be at least 40 miles away from my home this fall. As a not-rich student that idea, frankly, terrifies me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to cope with this?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Well, IMO the 2008 golden gloves is a little soon. That is in about a year, and it will take about 2 years before you can be competive with people on that level. The first 6 months you will probably be learning the basics and conditioning. Then you will start to learn some more advanced stuff. After about a year you should be decent, but anyone who has boxed a lot longer than you like those people will have, you will pretty much just be a punching bag. But there is nothing wrong with high goals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts