Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a junior in college and am very interested in boxing...in the spring I will have some free time opening up and plan on joining a local boxing gym. I lift regularly at the University gym using a chest/tricep back/bicep shoulder/ab 3 day routine doing 4 sets of 8 reps and usually run 1-2 mi. post-lift... on off days I try to get 2-3 mi in. Now, I have 0 boxing experience and am looking to see if there is anything I can add/change to my routine in order to help prep for boxing. Also do I have any chance to compete...being a newbie at 20 yrs old?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Stretch for flexibility, jump rope, up the running ammount and/or speed, read up on the boxing basics and put it into practice while your reading until you memorize it. Last, put it into a shadow boxing routine.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am currently a junior in college and am very interested in boxing...in the spring I will have some free time opening up and plan on joining a local boxing gym. I lift regularly at the University gym using a chest/tricep back/bicep shoulder/ab 3 day routine doing 4 sets of 8 reps and usually run 1-2 mi. post-lift... on off days I try to get 2-3 mi in. Now, I have 0 boxing experience and am looking to see if there is anything I can add/change to my routine in order to help prep for boxing. Also do I have any chance to compete...being a newbie at 20 yrs old?
Your legs must be puny, you need to workout your legs otherwise you won't have any punching power or balance. Get a little more cardio in when you can, your running should also be accompanied with some sprinting. Start getting good at jumping rope, and do lots of it. If you have no idea on how to box, start watching fights, and if you don't have any equipment, start shadow boxing. Yes you have plenty of time to compete, some ppl even start when their 30, its a common misconception that over 20 is to old. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.