Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The decision is in: Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward is out as the trainer for former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor.

Their disappointing four-fight run together is officially over, Steward told ESPN.com on Monday.

Speculation that Steward would be replaced has run rampant since Taylor lost the middleweight title on a seventh-round knockout to Kelly Pavlik on Sept. 29.

Taylor said the move was made "three or four days ago" during a telephone conversation with Ozell Nelson, Taylor's father figure and assistant trainer. Nelson, who made the decision, is the one who hired Steward in the first place.

Al Bello/Getty Images

Jermain Taylor's loss to Kelly Pavlik, standing, all but guaranteed Emanuel Steward would be replaced.
"I talked to Ozell. We have a very good relationship, but he said he may try to [train Taylor] himself. I got no problem with that," Steward said. "If he wanted me to do it, I would do it. He said he might try to do it himself. It's not a bad decision. I'm real fine with it."

While Nelson could take over training duties on his own, a Taylor camp source told ESPN.com that there has been contact made with Pat Burns to gauge his interest in returning to train Taylor. Burns guided Taylor to a 25-0 record, the middleweight championship and both victories against Bernard Hopkins in 2005. But Nelson, whose relationship with Burns is not strong, made the decision to fire him and bring in Steward with much fanfare in the spring of 2006.

Steward said one of the key concerns he and Nelson talked about was his training schedule. If Steward remained with Taylor it would mean preparing three fighters for major fights in three weeks, not to mention the accompanying rigorous training camps.

Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) and Taylor (27-1-1, 17 KOs) are scheduled for a Feb. 16 rematch. But if welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron defeats Jesse Feliciano on Nov. 23, and Cintron is a big favorite, Steward will be preparing Cintron for a Feb. 2 unification bout with Paul Williams. Steward also trains heavyweight titleholder Wladimir Klitschko, who is going to fight Sultan Ibragimov in a Feb. 23 unification fight.

"It's very hard to do that with that schedule and do what is necessary to do with Jermain," Steward said. "He really needs to be with me right now because he needs to be going over and over and over things so he does things automatically in the rematch and doesn't have to think about what to do. It would mean coming with me now and Jermain is not the kind of guy to do that. Ozell said he thinks he has retained enough of what he saw me working on with Jermain to do it himself."

Said Lou DiBella, Taylor's promoter and longtime friend of Steward's, "I don't think this move is a referendum on Emanuel Steward. He's one of the greatest trainers in the game. But I think with Cintron and Klitschko also fighting that month that Emanuel has his hands full with two other champions. Things didn't click as well as they could have and Emanuel thought that Jermain often didn't follow his instruction. Obviously, he's a great trainer, but sometimes a trainer and a fighter don't have the requisite chemistry."

DiBella refused to address the question of who would replace Steward.

A news conference had been tentatively scheduled to announce Pavlik-Taylor II on Tuesday in New York, but it was canceled. Part of the reason was the uncertainty about who would train Taylor. Pavlik is also recovering from a household accident last week in which he put both of his hands and arms through a glass window and required 108 stitches, an injury that is not expected to delay the rematch.

The Taylor-Steward pairing just never seemed to click. They had an abbreviated training camp for their first fight together, Taylor's controversial draw with difficult southpaw Winky Wright. Then came decision victories against Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks, fights against junior middleweights for which Taylor's lackluster performance was roundly criticized. They were followed by the brutal knockout loss to Pavlik.

"I told Ozell if he needs any advice or just wants to talk, I'll be glad to," Steward said. "We finished up saying that he might try training Jermain himself and I wished them good luck."

FINALLY!!!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Sounds like its overdue to me. Taylor and Steward has not been a winning combination since it started. Taylor seems to have lost that toughness that he once had in the ring. Hopefully he'll get back to the basics, and regain his confidence.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Its about time, i heard pat burns has been called and ozell nelson is still helping out. I dont like steward training anyone but heavy's.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rayman said:
Adds to the excitement of the re-match...Will it or won't it make a difference.
It should make a difference if he can get someone to teach him DEFENCE.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TysonJones said:
Its about time, i heard pat burns has been called and ozell nelson is still helping out. I dont like steward training anyone but heavy's.
I agree 150% :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nelson to train Taylor!

Trainer Ozell Nelson will assume the head trainer duties for former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, replacing Hall of Famer Emanuel Steward. Nelson was Taylor's amateur coach and was a key camp member throughout Taylor's career. "Manny is a great coach, a Hall of Famer," Nelson told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. "I very much respect Emanuel Steward. But I feel like things were going real good in training camp, but when we got to the fight, there was a communication problem. I don't know why there were the breakdowns [during the fights]. Sometimes fighters and trainers just don't click."

I guess this says it all.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Shoulda went with Pat Burns, but Ozell can't stand him.
I guess he'll do ok. The 1st round will tell it all.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If starts rocking back and forth again im not even gonna watch the rest of the fight

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
FightJudge.com said:
I'm surprised the waited this long to announce since it became public that Freddie Roach had been called a few weeks ago.
For sure. I was thinking the same thing. Is this Corey? If so what up man? Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
FightJudge.com said:
It's me...thanks! I sent you a reply to the PM on FightJudge. Hope you guys can come on board with your own scorecard...
Good to see you around these parts Corey. Man, I had 4 rounds of the Mosley fight scored before my computer lost signal. When I got back on it wouldn't let me get my card back. Needless to say I was angry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Good to see you around these parts Corey. Man, I had 8 rounds of the Mosley fight scored before my computer lost signal. When I got back on it wouldn't let me get my card back. Needless to say I was angry.
You can go back to the site and add scores for the missing rounds. Just click on "Member Scorecards" and make sure you're logged in. You can also post your scorecard to forums. Like this...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts