Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I need some help on improving my jab. It just doesn't seem to have enough pop too it, so I want to get it a bit stiffer. I don't know where to go with it, so I'll just post a video of me hitting the bag. Try to disregard my friend cursing a bit, and me fooling around as a southpaw, but most of it is pretty serious. Thanks!

YouTube - Jab help!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
One thing I did notice right off the top is the bag movement. I had a problem with my jab at first too. When you throw it, it’s not so much a punch as it is a snap. In an ideal world the bag should barley move at all when throwing you jab.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
When you're jabbing you just put it out there. Instead of advancing on other punches go back to the jab. I can see you need help on your jab lol put your body into it don't just pitter patter stiffen it up put it out there. Put your hand out and see how it looks now when you're jabbing make sure it looks like that when you're done. Iono it would be easier if i was able to demonstrate it. Keep practicing on your jab before you start advancing on other things. Gotta be able to move the bag i was about to say i have a similar problem but i don't lol i just don't have a lot of power in my jab cause i'm 110 pounds. You should be making that bag move with a jab. And one more thing.. When you're hitting the bag and you hit it back when it comes back to you don't back away from it move around the bag

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey all,I need some help on improving my jab. It just doesn't seem to have enough pop too it, so I want to get it a bit stiffer. I don't know where to go with it, so I'll just post a video of me hitting the bag. Try to disregard my friend cursing a bit, and me fooling around as a southpaw, but most of it is pretty serious. Thanks!

YouTube - Jab help!
You obviously do need help with your jab, but I do have to compliment your foot work. First of all stop the little double jab thing you got going on, That is in no way effective if you can't throw the jab correctly. Don't double up until you have mastered the single jab. Also get your full range with it, stop moving in then throwing your jab, throw it from way out then move in. As mattyice said, the jab is more like a snap. Snap it out there and put your body into it, incorperate your footwork with it. It should almost look better and as straight as your right. Your jabs in the vid through 3:00-->3:10 are getting there. I recommend you just focus on the jab for now, just keep your right on your chin and throw the jab over and over and over again round after round until you get it. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y'all. Yeah, the footwork is just a result of jumping a lot of rope for a long time, but it isn't effective in the ring haha. I'll get going with just doing single jab until I tire out. My favorite boxer is Mosley, and his jab even these days is phenomenal. I've been watching videos of him trying to pick up tips. Anything else you can recommend?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks y'all. Yeah, the footwork is just a result of jumping a lot of rope for a long time, but it isn't effective in the ring haha. I'll get going with just doing single jab until I tire out. My favorite boxer is Mosley, and his jab even these days is phenomenal. I've been watching videos of him trying to pick up tips. Anything else you can recommend?
Move around the bag more. Keep your hands up. Start moving your head more (slip,duck,counter), imagine it's punching back all the time. Be careful not to develop the habit of opening up with upper-cuts, I noticed you were doing that alot with your left. If your not fast enough you'll get a nice little right hook to the chin. I forgot to mention this in my last comment, but if you really want to get your jab down along with good timing, you should definitely start work with the double end bag. Good luck

·
Banned
589 Posts
I Dont Know If You Were Just Performing For The Cam Or Not, But It Seems Like You Lacked Aggression In Ur Punches. If You Wanna Punch With Power Your Going To Have To Commit, And Sit Down On Your Punches A Lil More. Get Your Body Into Them, And Punch With Bad Intentions. Another Thing, You Should Shadow Box More. It Seems Like You Were A Lil Confused On What Punches To Throw When You Let Your Hands Go. Shadow Boxing Builds Muscle Memory, And Your Combo's Will Come Off Alot Faster And Alot Smoother, Leaving Less Holes In Your Defense. If You Are Going To Shadow Box, Start With The Most Basic Combo, The One Two, Which Is The Jab Followed By The Straight Right. This Will Help You With Your Jab, And When This Combo Becomes Fluid Slip In A Third Punch Like A Left Hook Or A Short Left Uppercut. But The Most Important Thing You Must Do Is Pace Yourself, Work At Your Own Speed And Never Rush Anything, With Enough Practice And Patience You'll Develop Your Own Offense.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
First off, step in with the jab. Forget about the speed of the double jab for now. Step in, and after you throw the first jab, bring it back. You seem to bring it back about 2 inches and that's it. Bring it back all of the way, or at least an inch away from your chin. You were wide open for a right hook to the ribs if the person was willing to eat the second jab. By the looks of it, they would be because as you stated, the jab wasn't very good. Watch video's of Holmes, Liston, and Foster. They all had very good jabs. Watch their feet, and the basic things they do. With Holmes, imagine doing it with your hands up. Or look at pictures of them mid-jab. Look at the technique and foot work.

Just flick the jab out there, don't tap the guy with it, really put something behind it. A good jab can win you a fight.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Good advice Bill, I agree. When you throw your jab you should be thrusting the punch into the bag, not tapping it. An opponent will never fear that jab. And it looks like you have power, you just need to get the technique right. Think of it like you have a tennis ball squeezed into your hand and you need to punch hard enough to make the tennis ball cave in a bit when you punch. You also want to bring the punch all the way back as Bill said. Speed and power will come with practice, but you want to make sure your technique is solid so that you dont form bad habits.

Also if I may critique your footwork as well- You have quick, light feet which is great. But you need to make sure that your footwork is more technically sound. You dont want to cross over your feet in front of each other as even a stiff jab could set you off balance. When moving backwards, push from the ball of your front foot, and when you move forward, push off from the ball of your back foot.
I'm glad that you posted a video to how us your technique. I'm also glad that people werent flaming. Shows the quality of people we have here. Keep up the hard work, and feel free to ask more questions.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Also, after watching a second time, you have nice power and a good reach. Dont smother yourself too much by getting too close to the bag. When you get more extension on your punches, its noticeably much snappier. Use that long reach and find a comfortable distance for your bag work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks y'all, this helped a lot. I'll make a new video to show how I'm improving, but now I've got another problem to worry about which is a whole 'nother thread :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts