Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Stomping fight schedule! - Oscar might fight Cotto

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  SugarShane 
#1 ·
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer was a busy man on Thursday, locking in a number of fights and dates for the fall schedule.

The most important goes to company boss Oscar De La Hoya, whose Sept. 20 rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was canceled last week when Mayweather abruptly announced his retirement.

In the wake of the retirement, De La Hoya has altered his schedule and will fight just once more before his own retirement, Schaefer told ESPN.com. He said De La Hoya has given up his September date and will bow out on Dec. 6 on HBO pay-per-view in Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

"This will be Oscar's career finale, and we want to make it a big, big event," he said.

De La Hoya originally intended to fight three times in 2008. He defeated Steve Forbes last month and was due to face Mayweather in September followed by the finale in December.

De La Hoya's opponent has not been determined. Schaefer said it could be welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto if he defeats Antonio Margarito on July 26.

Whomever De La Hoya fights, it won't be junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton.

Schaefer said the already-signed fight between Hatton and titleholder Paulie Malignaggi would go forward. There had been a brief discussion of Hatton paying Malignaggi to step aside to take a fight with De La Hoya in September, but Hatton shot it down, saying he wouldn't be ready after a grueling decision victory against Juan Lazcano on May 24.

Now, Hatton-Malignaggi will fight on HBO's "World Championship Boxing" either Nov. 15 in New York or Las Vegas, or on Nov. 22 in Las Vegas, Schaefer said.

Other bouts Schaefer unveiled exclusively to ESPN.com:

• Former lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz will face Australia's Michael Katsidis in a battle of brawlers on HBO's "Boxing After Dark" at the Toyota Center in Diaz's hometown of Houston on Sept. 6.

With both coming off losses, it's something of a must-win fight for each. Diaz lost his belts to Nate Campbell on March 8. Katsidis was stopped in the 10th round in a challenge to Ring magazine champion Joel Casamayor on March 22.

Schaefer said the undercard could include junior lightweight titleholder Edwin Valero, who defended his belt Thursday in Japan. Although Valero had been medically banned in the U.S. for the past few years because of an old head injury, he was licensed in Texas a few months ago. Another possibility for the undercard is Houston's Rocky Juarez, a former junior lightweight title challenger and 2000 U.S. Olympic silver medalist.

• On Sept. 13 (HBO PPV) at Las Vegas' MGM Grand, Casamayor will defend the Ring lightweight championship against former junior lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez.

"We will put together a very solid card which will pay tribute to the Mexican Independence Day weekend," Schaefer said.

He added that fighters such as featherweight titleholder Chris John, former junior lightweight titlist Jorge Barrios and ex-junior lightweight beltholder Jorge Barrios could be on the card.

"We'll put together a dynamic card," he said.

• Shane Mosley, the former three-division champion, will return Oct. 11 on HBO PPV from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Schaefer and Tournament of Contenders promoter Jeff Wald are working to finalize a fight between Mosley and newly crowned junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora.

Mora, the winner of the first season of "The Contender" reality series, became the first graduate of the series to go on to win a title when he upset Vernon Forrest last Saturday. There was rematch language in the Mora-Forrest contract, which could impede the bout.

But if it happens, it would be big for Los Angeles, where both fighters are from. It would also mean Mosley returning to the junior middleweight division. He hasn't fought in the 154-pound division since losing back-to-back title fights to Winky Wright in 2004.

• Cruiserweight champion David Haye of England, who recently signed with Golden Boy, will officially move up to heavyweight and fight a "top-10 ranked opponent," according to Schaefer, on Nov. 29 at London's O2 Arena.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

So.. Sergio Mora x Shane Mosley, Katsidis x Diaz (fair), Oscar x Cotto, Casamayor x Juan Manuel Marquez... Wow it sounds great to me

See less See more
#6 ·
Diaz/Katsidis and Valero/Juarez would be an excellent BAD card. That reminds me of the old days, before they started putting fights like Forrest/Baldomir on there.

I'm eager to see Mosley back in the ring, but I'm a bit disappointed it isn't with a higher caliber guy than Mora. That being said, it will be nice to see him get a big KO victory.

I hope J.M. Marquez destroys Casamayor. It'll be awesome if Chris John is on that undercard. It'll also be nice to see Barrios. I became a big fan of him after his gutsy effort against Freitas.

#7 ·
Hell yeah it will be a bomb fest. I'm picking Diaz, but I hope being in H-town doesn't throw him off. The Latino community in Houston and San Antonio are amazing boxing supporters regardless of who is fighting. I saw Pacquiao-Solis in San Antonio and the place was packed.

#18 ·
I think Casamayor/JMM will be one of the ebst fights of the year. Casamyaor has plenty left in the tank and JMM is going out there to get a convincing victory to set up his Pac rematch.

the only problem I see with Casamayor is I don't think he will know when to hang em up. When he crosses over the hill he's going to get a horrible whipping. I'm real curious in who is going to hand it to him.

#27 ·
I think is a horrible matchup for de la Hoya, since he's been known for not having stamina later in the rounds, and Cotto's style is wearing you down.

Cotto by UD !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.