Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: People tell me Boxing will not help you in a street fight:laugh::thumbsup: sure buddy..

While some make valid points, others speak with no knowledge at all.. but this is a discussion, speak your thoughts.. What would you tell a person who said "street fighting" has nothing to do with "boxing".. stupid I know but go ahead.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Lets see now...street fighting involves punching, getting hit, pain, and fighting. Boxing involves punching, getting hit, pain, and fighting. I'm not seeing anything similar about the two.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the people who say that don't know anything about the two. Now, there are some boxers that would do terrible in a street fight, like Michael Spinks and Muhammad Ali, but there are others who were/are some of the best in the world like Jack Dempsey, Roberto Duran, Larry Holmes, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Harry Greb, Rocky Graziano, Tony Galento, Rocky Marciano, etc. The list goes on and on. IMO Boxing could only help you in a street fight. Faster hands, hit harder, can take a better punch, used to the feeling of getting hit. Boxers usually do better than MMA guys when getting jumped too. There have been multiple cases of a boxer getting jumped and they beat the piss out of the attackers. When Jack Dempsey was in his 70's 2 guys tried to mug him...they both ended up out cold. All Dempsey got was red knuckles. Or when Larry Holmes got into a fight with another heavyweight champ, Trevor Berbick. He beat the crap out of him, then after words jumped off of a car and kicked him in the face. Remember, boxers can fight dirty too, they're just not allowd to in the ring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If someone says Boxing does not help you with a street fight, that there will tell you they have to be the little nerds that used to get beat down in school and dunked in a toilet bowl, they obviusley have never had a fight in their life. Boxing is the basic tool for street fighting.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Ofcourse knowing how to box would help you in a street fight ,but knowing how to wrestle would help you more ,I mean most street fights usually go that route anyways ,the one fighting skill that would get you kill in the street is karate ,man if some dude tries to trow kick at me ,i'm gonna grab that leg pick it up and slam that master as hard as I can on the concrete" beleive that":laugh:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Boxing is a very limited and artificial martial art. You use boxing gloves and are very limited in what you can do. You cannot wrestle and can only punch in a few ways (can't do back hand or open palm, for instance). In a true street fight, pretty much anything goes. Obviously if the alternative is no training at all, then boxing ability is the better choice. However, the best training for a street fight is the martial art that is closest to allowing all abilities (kicking, wrestling, etc...), like PRIDE. Even better is something without weight classes, since weight class restrictions don't come into play during a Street Fight (a washed up Mike Tyson would probably still kick prime Mayweather's ass).

Tell your Buddy to fight Andrew Golota in a street fight and see if he can at least lose by UD without getting killed.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Boxing is a very limited and artificial martial art. You use boxing gloves and are very limited in what you can do. You cannot wrestle and can only punch in a few ways (can't do back hand or open palm, for instance). In a true street fight, pretty much anything goes. Obviously if the alternative is no training at all, then boxing ability is the better choice. However, the best training for a street fight is the martial art that is closest to allowing all abilities (kicking, wrestling, etc...), like PRIDE. Even better is something without weight classes, since weight class restrictions don't come into play during a Street Fight (a washed up Mike Tyson would probably still kick prime Mayweather's ass).

Tell your Buddy to fight Andrew Golota in a street fight and see if he can at least lose by UD without getting killed.
Just because they don't do it in the ring, doesn't mean they can't. Kicking in a street fight is suicide. If you are on 1 foot for even a fraction of a second, you get hit, you are going down, and going down hard. They mainly where the gloves for their hands protection. Puting on small, hard, gloves doesn't limit the force of the punch, or even take much pain away. All it really does is protect the fists and is a slight cushion. People aren't kidding when they say a trained boxers fists can be lethal weopans with out the gloves. Its true. People have died in the ring with the gloves, with out them, its extremely dangerous.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Just because they don't do it in the ring, doesn't mean they can't. Kicking in a street fight is suicide. If you are on 1 foot for even a fraction of a second, you get hit, you are going down, and going down hard. They mainly where the gloves for their hands protection. Puting on small, hard, gloves doesn't limit the force of the punch, or even take much pain away. All it really does is protect the fists and is a slight cushion. People aren't kidding when they say a trained boxers fists can be lethal weopans with out the gloves. Its true. People have died in the ring with the gloves, with out them, its extremely dangerous.
well said, bill:thumbsup:

what idiotic things people tend to say. a lot of mma fans tend to use the "boxing wouldn't help in a streetfight" line. the main reason why you see more knockouts in mma is because of the smaller, harder gloves like you indicated. imagine if boxers used the same gloves as mma fighters. they'd be a death every other week.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think people under-estimate the damage a trained boxer's punches would do without gloves. Even a small hitter such as Malignaggi would hit way above average without gloves in a street fight. Its no joke when people say boxer's fists are lethal weapons, test's were done on some boxers punches and some guys punches are the equivalant to being hit by cars at 30mph.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Boxing makes you fitter, stronger faster and more confident all of which help in street fights.

I've been boxing for a few months now and gone from being someone who got picked on loads to being someone most people are scared of, boxing's given me the confidence to fight making most people back down, also boxers punch like nobody else and ******* hurt lol.

You can make the argument boxing's not as good as say jui jitsu due to its focus purely on punching but that works to it's advantage as you dont have to think of which block or combination to use and instead throw lots of quick punches.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Without gloves, it would also cause a lot more bleeding from having the skin pressed against the skull. I would imagine that cuts would be much more prevalent. In any case, I watched some kickboxing and while they primarily use fists, kicks are also implemented quite often.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I for one have never witnessed a highly trained ameteur or professional fighter ever lose a street fight to a so called street fighter.........one punch from a boxer or any trained professional fighter will end a streetfight, One punch. Even guys like malignaggi would F guys up. Most boxers can punch just as fast with a 16 oz glove on than most normal people can with their fist. Imagine when the glove is off.

Another argument I always here is, well in a street fight, you'll most likely get taken down to the ground. Well most boxers come from a background where they were once a streetfighter and are used to this. they have only been trained properly how to fight now. They still can easily resort to their naturally instincts, just with much more skills. Plus boxers are adapt and used to taking punches, you can learn to take a punch pretty much, I know, when I first started boxing, i was to afraid to get hit, and it resulted in a few knockdowns in sparring early on in my ameteur days. Most people on the street, really arent adapt to getting hit in the face or body. So once again, one shot can usually end it.

One last thing, A boxer is trained to the limit, ive played every sport and boxing is by far the most grueling sport ive ever been in. Its so tiredsome and required a huge amount of willpower. No average guy could last 1 round in the ring or on the street with a boxer.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I mean ,let's get real a street fight all bets are off, the parties involved are really trying to injure one another is not like " hey wait a minute while I put my cup on " you better move fast and you better shoot for the vital parts especially is your're fighting some one bigger then you. Me I have no problem with picking up a brick and letting the boxer have it right on top of the coconut

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I mean ,let's get real a street fight all bets are off, the parties involved are really trying to injure one another is not like " hey wait a minute while I put my cup on " you better move fast and you better shoot for the vital parts especially is your're fighting some one bigger then you. Me I have no problem with picking up a brick and letting the boxer have it right on top of the coconut
LOL, it didn't do John Mugabi much good when he hit Marvin Hagler in the back of the head with a glass bottle. All Hagler did was jump, roll under a car, get up, and go on to give Mugabi a beating.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
One little stat a lot of people don't realize is that the average man hits at around 80-100 PSI, the average heavyweight pro boxer hits at 750 PSI. See the difference? The boxer hits about 7X as hard. And again, people always forget that boxers can fight dirty too, and kick and do all of that stuff, its just they're not allowd to in the ring.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
My little bro with no boxing training except for what I've taught him can punch 780 psi and he weighs like 135 pounds. Personally being a former ameteur I've felt punches that hurt more than a brick.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Ofcourse knowing how to box would help you in a street fight ,but knowing how to wrestle would help you more ,I mean most street fights usually go that route anyways ,the one fighting skill that would get you kill in the street is karate ,man if some dude tries to trow kick at me ,i'm gonna grab that leg pick it up and slam that master as hard as I can on the concrete" beleive that":laugh:
I can tell that you've never been in a street fight in your life ,one kick in the right spot and your everything would go out the window :laugh:
LMAO. These posts alone made this thread worth it :laugh:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts