Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started lifting weights twise a week for to try to build my strenght, but iv been doing mostyl bodybuilding excersises, im lookin for a strenght training routine to perform twise a week that is benifital to my boxing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah, Strength training, I find it real boring. A good routine for strength training would be vest weight pull ups, vest weight pushups, vest weight sit ups, vest hindu squats or dumbell hindu squats, high weight shoulder lifts, tricep extension, weighted frog squats, deadlifts, and all that. If you must lift weights normally to build bicep, you'll have to have to shoulder muscle and an advanced back muscle spring to maintain your speed.

Routine:
Stretch for 5 mins or so.

25 pushups
25 situps
25 squats
25 wider than chest pushups
25 right angle situps
25 hindu squats
25 diamond pushups
25 right angle situps
25 leap squats
30 second plank
25 tricep pushups
30 second plank

This is my current routine 2-3x a week. And if you are just starting, you can skip the last 4. Do 3 sets, rest on a 15 count in between and a minute thirty seconds between each set. Do 1st set weightless, 2nd set weighted, preferably with a vest. 3rd set same as 2nd.

Also remember to do cardio, cardio is priority above all else. A minimum 30 minutes of running no less than 2x a week, 3x is the prefered to keep your stamina.

By the time you are finished, you will have done 750 reps. Seems a bit spartan, but it's not too bad after 2-3 weeks. I still sometimes cheat by resting a minute or two more in between sets than I should hah.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i started lifting weights twise a week for to try to build my strenght, but iv been doing mostyl bodybuilding excersises, im lookin for a strenght training routine to perform twise a week that is benifital to my boxing
Dont lift weights, just do push ups, pull ups, and dips to gain strength. Weights are only gonna make you slower and less flexible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
overall

I strongly suggest deadlifts and squats if you are going to lift and are looking for good, overall body strength. Bodybuilding-type exercises twice a week won't do too much for you, even in terms of bodybuilding. I lift twice a week, but my perspective is different than many here. I don't box competitively and have been lifting for 32 years. Damn, time flies. I box (with lots of floor/aerobic work) twice a week, lift twice a week and run or ride a bike a couple times a week. I don't agree that lifting makes you slower. Adding bulk you won't use will make you slower. But, throwing an uppercut, you use your thighs and core. You'd have to lift more than twice a week to get your thighs so big that they'd slow you down - especially if you're doing other things like boxing, running, etc. Most of the fastest men in the world lift weights. It can be used as a tool to help you in your sport. Remember to stretch plenty.

My favorite exercises: squats or hack squats, deadlift, plenty of shoulder work (lateral, front, and back raises, and military), some dumbell bench press, lots of pullups, dumbell rows. When at the weight gym I also make it a point to do plenty of my boxing floor work - lots of duck walk, lunges, tons of ab work, an exercise we call "punch, punch, side", etc.

I know some boxing experts are opposed to lifing, while some aren't. My coach isn't. If you enjoy it and aren't working towards being an Olympic flyweight have at it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I strongly suggest deadlifts and squats if you are going to lift and are looking for good, overall body strength. Bodybuilding-type exercises twice a week won't do too much for you, even in terms of bodybuilding. I lift twice a week, but my perspective is different than many here. I don't box competitively and have been lifting for 32 years. Damn, time flies. I box (with lots of floor/aerobic work) twice a week, lift twice a week and run or ride a bike a couple times a week. I don't agree that lifting makes you slower. Adding bulk you won't use will make you slower. But, throwing an uppercut, you use your thighs and core. You'd have to lift more than twice a week to get your thighs so big that they'd slow you down - especially if you're doing other things like boxing, running, etc. Most of the fastest men in the world lift weights. It can be used as a tool to help you in your sport. Remember to stretch plenty.

My favorite exercises: squats or hack squats, deadlift, plenty of shoulder work (lateral, front, and back raises, and military), some dumbell bench press, lots of pullups, dumbell rows. When at the weight gym I also make it a point to do plenty of my boxing floor work - lots of duck walk, lunges, tons of ab work, an exercise we call "punch, punch, side", etc.

I know some boxing experts are opposed to lifing, while some aren't. My coach isn't. If you enjoy it and aren't working towards being an Olympic flyweight have at it.

well ur not training to be a boxer so you can do whatever you want. But most boxers say that lifting weights is bad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
well ur not training to be a boxer so you can do whatever you want. ....
OK, thanks.:cool: Aint freedom grand!? So, is the forum only for those who are competing boxers under 200 pounds? Or, is it ok for people who are boxing fans and who like to use boxing to get into better shape?

·
Registered
212 Posts
OK, thanks.:cool: Aint freedom grand!? So, is the forum only for those who are competing boxers under 200 pounds? Or, is it ok for people who are boxing fans and who like to use boxing to get into better shape?
its for anyone whos trying to get in shape i guess. But if that guy is trying to become a boxer, i dont think its a good idea to give him advice on lifting weights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
see

its for anyone whos trying to get in shape i guess. But if that guy is trying to become a boxer, i dont think its a good idea to give him advice on lifting weights.
See, here's where we're not communicating. He specifically asked for advice on strenth training, and mentioned that he's lifting weights for it. He didn't ask whether or not any of us thought it was a good idea to lift. I assumed this guy made up his mind and, if he's already decided to spend two sessons in the weight room each week I might as well try to assist, rather than let him work beach muslces and waste his time.

Just the other day, I did 4 sets of squats, 20 reps, 225 pounds. That will not slow me down, trust me. A couple days later I spied a video of a premier heavyweight traning and guess what he was doing...squats with 225 pounds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
See, here's where we're not communicating. He specifically asked for advice on strenth training, and mentioned that he's lifting weights for it. He didn't ask whether or not any of us thought it was a good idea to lift. I assumed this guy made up his mind and, if he's already decided to spend two sessons in the weight room each week I might as well try to assist, rather than let him work beach muslces and waste his time.

Just the other day, I did 4 sets of squats, 20 reps, 225 pounds. That will not slow me down, trust me. A couple days later I spied a video of a premier heavyweight traning and guess what he was doing...squats with 225 pounds.
well a lot of heavy weights lift weights because they dont really care about speed as much as power. You will rarely ever see lightweights in the weight room

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advise, im goin to do this routine:

25 pushups
25 situps
25 squats
25 wider than chest pushups
25 right angle situps
25 hindu squats
25 diamond pushups
25 right angle situps
25 leap squats
30 second plank
25 tricep pushups
30 second plank

i think this should benifit my strenght endurance alot, ill also do 3 sets-5 reps for deadlifts, same for barbell rows, doing low reps for build power

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah weights and boxing, probably the most argued point in boxing, but the least understood. I have 15 years of boxing training and started lifting about 6 years after I started boxing. Lifting itself doesn't affect speed, but how you lift does. Bodybuilding slows you down as you put on a lot of uneccessary muscle. I am a heavyweight right now, but utilize powerlifting techniques and a few selected other lifting techniques and still have as much speed as a welterweight. The key is to focus on explosive power movements like your Benchpress (close and wide), Squats, Deadlifts, Log lifts (clean and press) or power press), curls, and rows. The KISS (Keep it simple, stupid) method. Many sports in general discounted the benefits of weight training until the last decade. Baseball included, and look at what weight training and some other chemical help has done. As for flyweights not lifting, that would make sense, as they would cease to be fly weight, as it isn't natural for most ment to be that size anyway and weights would make it that more difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts