Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When im at boxing my shoulders tire way faster than i want them to. I'm in great shape as far as everything else goes but my shoulder aren't even close to strong enough for boxing.

What are some good shoulder excersizes i can do to get them more conditioned for boxing?

at home and/or at them gym

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool.

as far as weightlifting goes, I think I heard somewhere that you should stay away from weight workouts for your shoulders and instead condition them by, for example, speedbag, arm rolls(shoulder rolls) ect.

is that true?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not exactly, do any lift you want with your shoulders, just do high repetitions and lighter weight to cause your muscles to go into hypertrophy. Do a lot of lifts with dumbells where your arms are adjacent to your body and elevated. The more you work your shoulders, compensate with more speedbag to condition your muscles in the right way. Also, don't forget to work your rotator cuffs if your focusing a lot of lifting on your shoulders:thumbsup:.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
When im at boxing my shoulders tire way faster than i want them to. I'm in great shape as far as everything else goes but my shoulder aren't even close to strong enough for boxing.

What are some good shoulder excersizes i can do to get them more conditioned for boxing?

at home and/or at them gym
A good conditiong exercise for your arms and shoulders : throw 1-2s at high speed non stop. Do this for 3 rounds at first and work you way up. After that you'll be able to throw punches until your arms fall off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not exactly, do any lift you want with your shoulders, just do high repetitions and lighter weight to cause your muscles to go into hypertrophy. Do a lot of lifts with dumbells where your arms are adjacent to your body and elevated. The more you work your shoulders, compensate with more speedbag to condition your muscles in the right way. Also, don't forget to work your rotator cuffs if your focusing a lot of lifting on your shoulders:thumbsup:.
how do i do that?

also, how high reps are we talking? 15, 25?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good conditiong exercise for your arms and shoulders : throw 1-2s at high speed non stop. Do this for 3 rounds at first and work you way up. After that you'll be able to throw punches until your arms fall off.
cool, thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
how do i do that?

also, how high reps are we talking? 15, 25?
More like 12, 10, 8's as in progressive circuit wo's, you can def. make them higher though:thumbsup:

Rotator cuffs can be exercised with light dumbells, or more preferably, bungees. It's hard to explain all of the diff. ways you can work them, so you can easily look some up(google it, youtube it, etc.), just know that they are detrimental to shoulder strenth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More like 12, 10, 8's as in progressive circuit wo's, you can def. make them higher though:thumbsup:

Rotator cuffs can be exercised with light dumbells, or more preferably, bungees. It's hard to explain all of the diff. ways you can work them, so you can easily look some up(google it, youtube it, etc.), just know that they are detrimental to shoulder strenth.
alright then...thanks 4 the help

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
How long you been boxing? I've never done anything special for just my shoulders. Weights, speedbag, heavybag, sparring. Of course at the beginning, my shoulders and arms got tired and sore, but after awhile you just get used to it and feel very little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long you been boxing? I've never done anything special for just my shoulders. Weights, speedbag, heavybag, sparring. Of course at the beginning, my shoulders and arms got tired and sore, but after awhile you just get used to it and feel very little.
about a week or two

thats good to hear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Arm Circles are pretty good too. Don't even need weights. Just straighten your arms out to the sides at shoulder level and move them in small tight circles. I usually go 200 forward and 200 backward. What works for some, does not work for everybody though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts