Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i'm going to work out and try to gain muscle strenght but not a ton of muscle mass should i use supplements like protein shakes and creatine? I'm not opposed to getting bigger, but i just dont want to be huge. Also which supplements would be good to take? i know some are really good for you but others can be harmful to your body

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use a few things for muscle gain. here is what I use and it works well kepp in mind everyones body is different, I use protien and creatien pre work out as well as NO Xplode by BSN, Post work out I used Glutamine and protien as well. During the day I take 5 BCAA pills, a multi vitamin and a test booster called Unleashed. I also take post cycle to keep my liver healthy. This works really well for me.

For protien, muscle milk tastes the best but has a ton of fats, 100% whey protien is what you should take, I personally like ON Nutrition for protien.

When I want to cut and lose weight I use H-DROL and protien with out creaine. This cuts really well and aids with weight loss.

Again everyones body is different but this is a good place to start for you and adjust to what works for you. Dont buy anything from GNC all that stuff is a joke.

If i'm going to work out and try to gain muscle strenght but not a ton of muscle mass should i use supplements like protein shakes and creatine? I'm not opposed to getting bigger, but i just dont want to be huge. Also which supplements would be good to take? i know some are really good for you but others can be harmful to your body

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Creatine will make you bigger. If you want to be faster and stronger, than you need to train properly, and eat the right foods. After a workout/training session, you want to eat a high protein meal as protein aids in rebuilding muscle after it is torn down in workouts.
For more explosive power, focus on more explosive movements. Check out Rosstraining.com for some great workout info and advice.
If your looking to be a boxer, you dont need to take all of those supplements and crap. You will gain strength and power by following the correct routines.

Although if Bodybuilding is what your into, then check out bodybuilding.com for alot of good info on that...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i'm looking more for boxing workouts, not bodybuilding, i dont understand though how those guys can be my height and so ripped, but they weigh 20 lbs less, i mean i'm skinny, and these guys look bigger than me but weigh less, can you explain how that works? like what kind of workouts they do?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
yeah i'm looking more for boxing workouts, not bodybuilding, i dont understand though how those guys can be my height and so ripped, but they weigh 20 lbs less, i mean i'm skinny, and these guys look bigger than me but weigh less, can you explain how that works? like what kind of workouts they do?
well there's a couple of reasons for that. one has to do with your waist size, and your bodyfat percentage. the more lean muscle you have and lower bodyfat percentage the bigger you will actually look. I actually bodybuild and am considering doing competitions here in a year or two and at my height, which is around 5'6'' I look bigger at 155 then I do at 165, atleast with my shirt off because the cuts start to appear and it gives off the illusion of a bigger physic.everyone at my gym has a hard time beleiveing i'm only around 150 in the summer, everyone guesses i'm atlest 175, it's funny how it works like this really.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
tom and captain gave you some good advice about supplements and I have a twin brother who works at gnc and I have been bodybuilding for around 7 years now so I'll lend you some supp advice aswell. creatine like capt said is for bulking and all it does is allow your body to hold more water,one tub of creatine, depending on your height, will gain you around 6-9 pounds of extra water and will hold it there for a couple months so your not actually gaining fat. it will make you stronger, your muscles will recover faster, and it will make you less fatigue'd. get on a low fat protein shake regiman, drink one between meals and before bed. another thing, not all stuff at gnc is a joke... over priced, definately, but I get a really good discount so it's not to bad for me buying from there but you might want to go online for products. amino acids would be a good choice for a supp as well because they go hand in hand with protein. there actually called the building blocks for protein. you can buy liquid or pill form. the absolute most important piece of imfo I can give you would be GET A STRICT DIET! trust me on this, Martin's can be more benifical then any supplement store out there. you just have to learn what to buy.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
one more thing, if you lift weights and don't want the extra bulk on your frame, lift HEAVY! no more then 5 reps per set. you can make good strength gains doing this useing the same sized frame you already have. it will also make your muscle more dense over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Amino Acids are big time for muscle gain. As for GNC stuff some is good like i said BSN's NO Xplode is great works well. I use Nutraplanet.com for all my stuff pricing is better. As for protien stay away from muscle mike too many fats but it tastes so good. 100% Whey is decent I use ON (Optinum Nutrition) Also Get a Casin Protien (PM Protien) to take before bed. If you want to get ripped H-Drol from nutra planet will help with that. Its decent for cutting will give you the ripped look I think your looking for.

As ItalianBull said the biggest thing in the world YOUR DIET. All the supplements in the world dont matter if you dont eat right and keep a good sleeping routine. Hell I eat more grilled Chicken for dinner than anyone under the sun it sucks but the results have been fantastic. Im faster, Im stonger, Im losing body fat. Plus the protien in the chicken helps me recover faster after works outs. For breakfeast I eat plain oatmeal, I sprinkle some muscle milk on it (I know its fatter but the body need some fats) and lots of water throughout the day. I eat 6 times a day, celery and peanut butter at 10 am, and so on. It takes some getting used too and some sacrafice becuase I would love to eat an entire pizza everyday, but stick with a good diet and you will cut nice.

Floyd Mayweather when he does situps working out everytime he comes up he says "Hardwork", "Dedication" as stupid as it sounds i replay that in my head in and out of the gym all day becuase to stick with the diet it takes hardwork and dedication.

If you want my supplemnt regime let me know ill post it, it works well for me and my best friend.

Sorry for the long post just trying to get it all in :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am in your same situation I am looking to pack on a little bit of size but my main emphasis is strength, endurance, and explosiveness.

First of all let me fill you in on products to avoid.

BSN, Muscletech and Xyience are CRAP! They are hyp machine companies and the stuff they sell is overpriced garbage.

If your under the age of 22, avoid anything relating to Testosterone Boosters or anything that will boost hormonal production because at young ages TB's will make you produce more estrogen than Test which is not good. Plus coming off of TB's are like coming off of steroids, you'll feel like **** and your sex drive will crash.

What you need to get started is

-A Multivitamin- this is essential- I take Animal Pak but GNC Mega Mens is fine

-Whey Protein- For recovery after workouts and to repair damaged muscle tissue from training- I recommend ON 100% Whey Protein Isolate

-Fish Oil- Essential Omega 3 fats for heart, cardiovascular and to improve brain function

-Joint Support- I recommend Twin Lab Joint Fuel or Super Cissus Rx

Those should be in your diet already

Optional stuff

Creatine- Creatine is an amino acid found in red meat and our muscles, brain and heart. It fuels our muscles with energy to get us through tough workouts. Creatine Ethyl Ester is the best form out there IMO,

I recommend MRI CE2

-Nitric Oxide- Nitric Oxide or NO for short is an energy enhancer that increases blood flow.

I recommend Controlled Labs White Flood

-Beta Alanine- Beta Alanine boosts endurance and delays fatigue during intense exercise by limiting Lactic Acid build-up. So in other words you can lift longer before you feel that burning feeling that makes you want to put the weights down.

Beta Alanine is in a lot of NO products like White Flood but you can but it in pill form.

Glutamine- promotes Nitrogen Balance and enhances recovery

Also let me tell you that supplements are half the battle. If you want to gain strength make sure you have the right workout program.

Meaning don't do body part or isometric exercises, you're not trying to be a body builder.

Do things like

-Squats
-Lunges
-Bench Presses
-Clean and Jerk
-Sit Ups
-Crunches
-Rows
-Dips
-Pull Ups
-Deadlifts
-Dumbell Snatches
-Tire Swings with a sledgehammer (builds a lot of power)

Good Luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also

Make sure you eat healthy. Don't be eating at McDonalds or greasy foods, or chugging down soft drinks. Also keep the alcohol intake to a minimal.

Use salt and sugar sparingly. Salt makes you retain water and bloat.

Drink Lots of Water. I drink 1 1/2 gallons per day.

Eat 3 square meals per day.

Things you should be eating

Chicken
Fish
Lean Beef
Veggies- Learn to Love 'Em. Stir Fry is great to get you veggies or pick up Emerald Balance from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe
-Milk- Easy and Cheap source of Protein and Calories
-Peanut Butter
-Yogurt
-Eggs

When you make a sandwhich- AVOID White Bread!!! White Bread is empty calories and is believed to cause cancer

Good Luck

PM me if you need help or have any Questions

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
that's a pretty good list southpaw, I completely forgot about multivamins, he should definately get on those. I'm not sure exactly what H-drol is but if it's anything similar to super-drol then I wouldn't recommend that right away that's for sure. I take gnc's ultra mega gold vitamin b-12 complex, which is a 90 day supply for $30, only $10 a month amd there pretty decent.

·
Registered
397 Posts
that's a pretty good list southpaw, I completely forgot about multivamins, he should definately get on those. I'm not sure exactly what H-drol is but if it's anything similar to super-drol then I wouldn't recommend that right away that's for sure. I take gnc's ultra mega gold vitamin b-12 complex, which is a 90 day supply for $30, only $10 a month amd there pretty decent.
yeah a lot of people neglect multivitamins and they are really the foundation to any persons (old, young, athletic or non) to overall good health.

Yeah anything like H-drol, MEthyl-1D, 1-AD, DHEA, BOLD, are basically like Oral Anabolic Steroids and if you don't cycle off properly the results are anything but good, bloating, decreased energy, libido does down the shitter, Fatty tissue develops around your nipples and if you aren't doing PCT properly all your results will go away that you for when you were using it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the information guys! I think the main thing i need to work on is my diet, i'm in college so there isn't much healthy food to begin with, but i just need to discipline myself to find the healthy stuff and stay away from the other crap even though it tastes good. I dont know if i'm going to use any supplements, i mean i know they help a lot, but i dont have money, maybe i'll stick to basic stuff like protein. Thanks for the exercises too southpaw!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i would appreciate any and all pointers on both diets and different boxing workouts and lifting workouts, thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Okay I drew a diet plan for you

You can break your diet down into 3 meals per day or 6 meals per day. I drew up a 6 small meal plan for you because it works very well for me.

Breakfast-

Scrambled Eggs- (4 Egg Whites and 2 Whole Eggs) Egg Whites are healthier
Yogurt
Fruit (Banana or Apple)
Protein Shake

Snack- Meal 2- This doesn't have to be a feast just something small
For Example

Tuna with Mayo and Relish and Granola Bar or Protein Shake

Lunch- Seasoned Ground Beef with Veggies

They sell Perdue Pre Cooked Chicken at Grocery Stores. I usually mix the chicken with steamed veggies and some stir fry sauce and heat it up.

Meal 4-

Protein Shake, Peanut Butter Sandwhich on Wheat Bread (NO WHITE BREAD EVER!!!) and a glass of milk

Dinner-

Steak with Veggies and Potatoes
or
Fish (Salmon or Talapia) with Rice and Veggies

Meal 6

Casien Protein Shake, yogurt or fruit,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Limit Salts, Sugars, Caffeine, Soft Drinks, Energy Drinks,

Energy Drinks and Caffiene are not necessary if you train hard. You'll burn off enough calories and fat if you train as hard as you should

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've done the whole weightlifting/ bodybuilding thing for years with the no xplode, athp, creatine, and whey protein and let me tell you...i went from 175-205 and was HUGE!!! I could bench 315 lbs, squat 500 lbs., but guess what...I actually LOST punching power and was considerably slower. boxing is about explosiveness and since I stopped lifting and worked to build my endurance naturally, I'm now back down to 175 and much stringer, faster and more explosive than before.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i've done the whole weightlifting/ bodybuilding thing for years with the no xplode, athp, creatine, and whey protein and let me tell you...i went from 175-205 and was HUGE!!! I could bench 315 lbs, squat 500 lbs., but guess what...I actually LOST punching power and was considerably slower. boxing is about explosiveness and since I stopped lifting and worked to build my endurance naturally, I'm now back down to 175 and much stringer, faster and more explosive than before.
Exactly thats what most roids heads at the gym don't know. Big Muscles don't equal punching power or fighting skill.

Fighting is about Strength, Speed, Explosiveness and Endurance in one total package.

If people were to take a look at a Bodybuilder and Bruce Lee and not know who he was the average person would say Bruce would get his ass kicked. Same with Royce Gracie

Mass and Muscles<Technique

1 - 20 of 30 Posts