Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Corrales/Castillo I or any other fight? (if other, then which one?)
-Gatti/Ward I or Barrera/Morales I?
-Vasquez/Marquez, Gatti/Ward, Barrera/Morales, Ali/Frazier, Bowe/Holyfield, or Ali/Norton? (trilogy as a whole)
-Duran, Leonard, Hagler, or Hearns?
-Venue...Madison Square Garden, Boardwalk Hall, Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, Caesar's Outdoor Arena, or The Blue Horizon
-Color commentary...Larry Merchant or Al Bernstein?
-Cutman...Al Gavin or Joe Souza? (or name another)

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
-Corrales/Castillo I or any other fight? (if other, then which one?)
-Vasquez/Marquez, Gatti/Ward, Barrera/Morales, Ali/Frazier, Bowe/Holyfield, or Ali/Norton? (trilogy as a whole)
-Venue...Madison Square Garden, Boardwalk Hall, Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, Caesar's Outdoor Arena, or The Blue Horizon
-Trinidad vs. Vargas. Two of my favourites at the time, the fight had everything.
-Barrera/Morales I.
-Barrera/Morales for me, they were all great though.
-I think Leonard just edges Duran.
-LV is the place to be for money, but fights at the MSG are always special.
-Merchant, he is annoying at times but HBO wouldn't be the same without him.
-I'm not too familiar with cutmen really.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
De la Hoya vs. Vargas - Just for the left hook near the end :laugh:
Barrera vs. Morales I
Barrera vs. Morales Trilogy
Leonard
Fights at MSG and the MGM Grand are always special. I'll go MSG :thumbsup:
Larry Merchant
Don't know cutmen at all :laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-Trinidad vs. Vargas. Two of my favourites at the time, the fight had everything.
-Barrera/Morales I.
-Barrera/Morales for me, they were all great though.
-I think Leonard just edges Duran.
-LV is the place to be for money, but fights at the MSG are always special.
-Merchant, he is annoying at times but HBO wouldn't be the same without him.
-I'm not too familiar with cutmen really.
Yeah, the cutmen one was just for the hell of it. I don't expect most boxing fans to know those guys as well as the fighters themselves. I did think that someone might name Chuck Bodak. I always got a kick out of that guy.You may remember him as the guy with pictures of his fighters taped to his bald head. He worked the cuts for De La Hoya, J.C. Chavez, and Evan "Real Deal" Fields.

As for my picks...
-I suppose I would go with Corrales/Castillo I, but right there with it would be the Toney/Jirov cruiserweight war from '03. The infighting was incredible, Jirov was relentless, Toney was the counterpunching master, and there was hardly a lull in the action. The finish might not have been equally as dramatic as Corrales getting up from the canvas twice in the 10th to TKO Castillo, but the twelfth round knockdown and final flurries from both guys were the stuff of legend in my book. Even though the scores were overwhelmingly in favor of Toney, watching that fight at the time, I felt he would need a knockdown, if not a knockout to get a draw, much less win.
-I'll go with Barrera/Morales I, even though Gatti/Ward I might have been slightly more compelling thanks to the fighter's personalities and no language barrier. Barrera and Morales were both more in their respective primes at the time of their first encounter than Gatti and Ward. The great thing about both of these fights is that they could have gone either way and the results of which will forever be debated by fans.
-I'm tempted to go with Vasquez/Marquez, but maybe it's still too fresh of a choice. That trilogy, all 25 rounds of it, gives the most bang for your buck that you can get. Each of the three fights had a dramatic ending and both guys were at the top of their games throughout the duration of all three encounters. I'd go as far to say that both guys were basically even which you can't really say in the case of a trilogy like Ali/Norton and even with Gatti/Ward, Gatti was clearly the better fighter even though Ward gutted out some great moments. I'd say that Vasquez and Marquez were absolute equals in the ring even though Vasquez might have very well won the first fight had his nose not been so badly broken. Before this one, Barrera/Morales definitely would have been my choice, and it still might be, but they are pretty much neck and neck to me.
-I didn't specify just during the 80's, so I'll go with Duran. He's the best of the bunch overall. If I was just going on a guys' accomplishments from that decade, I'd go with SRL.
-Boardwalk Hall is my favorite place to see a fight. I love walking up and down the boardwalk pre-fight, waiting in line a stones throw away from the shore, and the very unique architecture of the building. Obviously, AC is no Vegas, but it's got a certain intangible charm to it.
-I like both Bernstein and Merchant a lot, but I'll go with Larry. Merchant's "moments" are surefire classics. Yeah, it may take him a while to finish his story, but be patient and keep an open mind and you can get so much out of his old-fashioned stories.
-Yeah, who really cares about the cutmen...;)

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
MGM Grand, Madison Square Garden and the Boardwalk Hall are all special arenas. Mandalay Bay has a good atmosphere as well ;)

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
-Corrales/Castillo I or any other fight?
Duran/Leonard 1 is special to me.

Barrera/Morales I.

Barrera/Morales

Leonard.

MSG : the mecca of boxing.

Merchant.

:dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts