Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who had the best footworkk of all time?

  • Muhammad Ali

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sugar Ray Robinson

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sugar Ray Leonard

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Larry Holmes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lennox Lewis

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Floyd Patterson

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you think had the best footwork of all time? I said Muhammad Ali.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Sugar Ray Leonard

Why is Lennox Lewis on the list?

Sure... he was an Out-Fighter... but he was also a lot bigger than most... and all he really had to do was back-off... plot... and slam them with his long reaching punches!!!

A SMART FIGHTER YES... but good footwork? It didn't suck... but it wasn't some of the best I have ever seen:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White Tyson said:
Sugar Ray Leonard

Why is Lennox Lewis on the list?

Sure... he was an Out-Fighter... but he was also a lot bigger than most... and all he really had to do was back-off... plot... and slam them with his long reaching punches!!!

A SMART FIGHTER YES... but good footwork? It didn't suck... but it wasn't some of the best I have ever seen:thumbsup:
I put him on for Tommygunn who seems to think he had great footwork.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
I put him on for Tommygunn who seems to think he had great footwork.
ive never said he had "great" footwork.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
a primed roy jones had the best footwork in my opinion, rjj was a great athleate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tommygunn said:
a primed roy jones had the best footwork in my opinion, rjj was a great athleate.
RJJ had good footwork in his prime, but he couldn't get around the ring like Ali.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Auctioneer said:
Why is Holmes on the list?By far Robinson, Ali and Patterson had the best foot work.
Because he gad great footwork in his prime. About 2-3 times a round he would typicaly get on his toes and move like Ali for a good 30 sec or so. Also you question Holmes being on the list but not Lennox Lewis?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
White Tyson said:
I have to ask... Bill... Tommy... do you two really hate each other... or is it... what we call... a "Friendly Rivalry"?:thumbsup:
I would cpnsider it a rivalry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Bill, I know Larry and Rocky are very high on every list .In my opinion based on having watched most of the fighters that we talk about,Larry Holmes had average foot work even in his prime which was still good enough with his other great talents, for him to become the champ. He was not a gracefull mover, bobber, and weaver.He simply did not move as well as Ali,Robinson,and Patterson.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Auctioneer said:
Bill, I know Larry and Rocky are very high on every list .In my opinion based on having watched most of the fighters that we talk about,Larry Holmes had average foot work even in his prime which was still good enough with his other great talents, for him to become the champ. He was not a gracefull mover, bobber, and weaver.He simply did not move as well as Ali,Robinson,and Patterson.
I never said he did, PS Ali didn't bob and weave, he leaned back from punches (Holmes did the same thing). Holmes had better than average footwork for sure... PS you will ask about Holmes being on the list, when Lewis seldom got up onto his toes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Auctioneer said:
Ali did not just lean back................C'mon Bill......ok,ok,ok,ok,ok, Holmes should be on the list.....!
He did 90% of the time. Also Holmes bobbed and weaved too.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top