Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have done this a week ago, but better late than never.

Speed - Mosley>Mayorga
Mosley still has some of the fastest hands P4P. Mayorga doesn't come close, him throwing his wiiiiiiiide windmill punches doesn't help.

Power - Mosley>Mayorga
Mayorga has the heavier hands, but since you can see all his punches coming his opponents can brace for it. The hardest punches are the ones you never see coming, Mosley is a testament to that. Mosley gets the edge here based on their performances against Vargas.

Chin - Mosley=Mayorga
Both have World class chins, but one of them gets caught cleaner and more often, especially, in between shots. I still had to put them equal because, even though Mayorga has been knocked out, it's hard to see anyone taking the amount of clean shots he can and has taken. Mosley has too good of a defense to allow it, but he can take shots with the best of em.

Stamina - Mosley=Mayorga
Mayorga averages 70+ punches, Mosley rarely goes over 60. Mosley always finishes fight strong even in his losses, Mayorga finishes strong, but he understandably doesn't in his losses because he gets hit with a ton of power shots. This one is another toss up.

Experience - Mosley>Mayorga
The edge here goes to Mosley because he's been the man in 2 weight classes and has held titles in 3, with 20+ Championship fights. He's top 5 in active fighters' resume.

The breakdown: I see Mosley getting hit in this fight (most likely by an overhand right), he might even get hurt, but that is a worst case scenario, that his sturdy beard and ring smarts (and Mayorga's lack of) will get him out of. Mayorga will get hit by a ton of shots, because Mosley will be sitting on his power shots and play the counter puncher. I like Mosley to take the W with a 9th round knockout.

My analysis record 2-1

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Solid analysis. The power would be Mayorga's obvious edge, but like you said, his slower hands and wild, looping punches lessen, if not negate their effectiveness. When it comes to chin, Mosley has to get the nod because he's never been knocked out and the only times I remember him going doing were twice in the first fight with Forrest. Whereas Mayorga has been knocked out three times. Granted, it was against some of the greatest punchers of the era. It's hard to envision a scenario where Mosley loses, but as we all know, in this sport anything can happen. Especially when you have a guy as unpredictable as Mayorga.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I should have done this a week ago, but better late than never.

Speed - Mosley>Mayorga
Mosley still has some of the fastest hands P4P. Mayorga doesn't come close, him throwing his wiiiiiiiide windmill punches doesn't help.

Power - Mosley>Mayorga
Mayorga has the heavier hands, but since you can see all his punches coming his opponents can brace for it. The hardest punches are the ones you never see coming, Mosley is a testament to that. Mosley gets the edge here based on their performances against Vargas.

Chin - Mosley=Mayorga
Both have World class chins, but one of them gets caught cleaner and more often, especially, in between shots. I still had to put them equal because, even though Mayorga has been knocked out, it's hard to see anyone taking the amount of clean shots he can and has taken. Mosley has too good of a defense to allow it, but he can take shots with the best of em.

Stamina - Mosley=Mayorga
Mayorga averages 70+ punches, Mosley rarely goes over 60. Mosley always finishes fight strong even in his losses, Mayorga finishes strong, but he understandably doesn't in his losses because he gets hit with a ton of power shots. This one is another toss up.

Experience - Mosley>Mayorga
The edge here goes to Mosley because he's been the man in 2 weight classes and has held titles in 3, with 20+ Championship fights. He's top 5 in active fighters' resume.

The breakdown: I see Mosley getting hit in this fight (most likely by an overhand right), he might even get hurt, but that is a worst case scenario, that his sturdy beard and ring smarts (and Mayorga's lack of) will get him out of. Mayorga will get hit by a ton of shots, because Mosley will be sitting on his power shots and play the counter puncher. I like Mosley to take the W with a 9th round knockout.

My analysis record 2-1
Based on that assessment. I'd have it 2-2-1. Mayorga is the harder puncher. Just because his are wild, doesn't make them hurt any less. They would hurt more, if they were straight, but thats mayorga.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on that assessment. I'd have it 2-2-1. Mayorga is the harder puncher. Just because his are wild, doesn't make them hurt any less. They would hurt more, if they were straight, but thats mayorga.
I know, but technically you're wrong because the punches that hurt the most are the ones you don't see coming. And even though he has the heavier hands, you can see most-all of Mayorga's punches coming and brace for them. He was able to get away with that at 147 because he was quicker and his punches could be felt even more, it's not the same now, that's why he hasn't knocked anyone out since the Forrest fight.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Yes, Technically I am wrong. thats why i added the straight part. I know he punches wrong, but he still has more power than mosley. Sometimes even the best boxer's can't see wide punches coming because they don't train for that. I give the edge to Mayorga in power. Thats it.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yes, Technically I am wrong. thats why i added the straight part. I know he punches wrong, but he still has more power than mosley. Sometimes even the best boxer's can't see wide punches coming because they don't train for that. I give the edge to Mayorga in power. Thats it.
They train for that. It's a walk in the park for them.
Mayorga has probably a little more power but Mosley has the better chin and has more stamina.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I give the power edge to Mosley. You're about to see why. He's gone from a relatively slick guy to a bomber for the most part. He's about to bomb Mayorga out in 8.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I still give mayorga the edge in power. He's a much stronger guy than Mosley. Decent Scrap. Crazy enough I had mayorga ahead going into the 12th round 6-5.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
They train for that. It's a walk in the park for them.
Mayorga has probably a little more power but Mosley has the better chin and has more stamina.
Everytime Mayorga did it, It wasn't a walk in the park for Mosley. He was befuddled for the first three rounds and didnt have a clue what to do. He eventually warmed up to it.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
In mosleys defense, you really can't train for mayorga. His hands are quicker than people give him credit for as well. Even though it is ugly.

·
Blood Clot Jungle Techno
403 Posts
Shane Moseley left this late, I had him behind on my score card

I don't think he should go in with Margarito though, not unless he makes it his last fight and trains for it at high altitude, plus uses the boxing brain he has instead of trying to land that over the top right too much. His hand speed was slower and he showed his age tonight (he has been inactive since Cotto but ya know)Poor display from Shane tonight overall but he had the luck :thumbsup:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Shane Moseley left this late, I had him behind on my score card

I don't think he should go in with Margarito though, not unless he makes it his last fight and trains for it at high altitude, plus uses the boxing brain he has instead of trying to land that over the top right too much. His hand speed was slower and he showed his age tonight (he has been inactive since Cotto but ya know)Poor display from Shane tonight overall but he had the luck :thumbsup:
I had it 107-102 Mosley. I'm not sure why so many thought Mayorga was winning :confused::dunno:. He landed some good stuff, and fought a good fight, but I certainly don't think he was winning.

G

·
I had it 107-102 Mosley. I'm not sure why so many thought Mayorga was winning :confused::dunno:. He landed some good stuff, and fought a good fight, but I certainly don't think he was winning.
No way man, Mayorga was ahead going into the last, i had him ahead by 2. Shane didnt look good at all tonihgt, as lance said it can be hard to train for mayorga,he can be hard to look good against aswell. The 6th round Shane looked great in, but he wasnt overly impressive apart from that round, and obviously the 12th...

GReat Great end to the fight,sensational stuff.

G

·
Mayorga was clearly alot bigger than Shane aswell, he needs to stick to welter. Would still love to see him fight Judah.

G

·
Mosley was giving Mayorga too much respect early in the fight. If he stepped it up earlier he could have got the KO with a few rounds to spare. Instead he was hesitant and gave away rounds. I had Mosley ahead going into the final round but he made hard work for himself.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
In mosleys defense, you really can't train for mayorga. His hands are quicker than people give him credit for as well. Even though it is ugly.
Very true. Still expected Mosley to look a bit better, but then again it's his first fight in nearly a year.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Mosley was definetly losing going into the last, Mayorga just straight bullied his azz and made him look terrible. Im afraid father time has finally caught up with Mosley, and its time for him to call it a day. It was a fantastic finish, but Mosley at his best dominates Mayorga. The flash in round 6, where Mosley was landed at will on Mayorga, would be what the entire fight would look like had Mosley been at his best.

Mosley doesn't put his combinations together like he used too, his timing and accuracy is completely off now and his handspeed is nothing to right home about anymore. Margarito would have dominated Mosley last night.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I had mayorga sweeping the first 3 rounds. Mosley won the next 5. and then mayorga swept the next 3. 6-5 mayorga going into the 12.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I had mayorga sweeping the first 3 rounds. Mosley won the next 5. and then mayorga swept the next 3. 6-5 mayorga going into the 12.
I had it 6-5 too, i scored a couple of rounds different though. You still think Mosley would beat Margarito Lance? How much you think Mosley got left?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts