Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all... I love watching, participating, and everything else about boxing. And I love MMA. I've never been a black & white type of guy, It's not like im not going to like boxing because I like MMA vice versa. It's not like I'm one of those dumbass voters who wont vote democrat just because their candidate lost in the primaries.

I say that to say this.

Boxing is not dying... It's just so many media outlets as well as fans have become jaded to it that it has become the general impression that it's dying.

MMA is not savage or "stupid fighting"... It is a very exciting sport and it is relatively "new" to the average viewer (provoking excitement).

As far as this mma>boxing image... This is usually the view of those silly goose promoters who want to discredit how long boxing has been alive and well.

As far as boxing>mma... This is usually the view of the old man shaking his walking stick at the whippersnappers on the block while chanting (in my day!!!).

Here is the part that will get you guys infuriated...
I would rather watch an average mma fight than an average boxing match... I would rather watch a good mma fight than a good boxing match...

(Pinfall)

I WOULD RATHER WATCH A GREAT BOXING MATCH THAN A GREAT MMA FIGHT!!!

(relief?)

My thoughts on this topic... Since everybody is so scared or self concious or whatever to write about it.

Now we can either...

(insert ignorance) or (insert thoughtfulness)

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Boxing is for those who like to see a tactiful war of styles go at it. The quickness and power of RJ vs. a tall langy counterpuncher in Tarver or to watch a quick power punching david haye vs. an old school slick philly shell counterpuncher in James Toney. When someone watches MMA you just see violence and brutality with some skill involved. Don't get me wrong there is skill in MMA. But boxing is violence with tactics.

Boxing>MMA IMO

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yea lets not start this argument up for the 100x. There is just as much skill and tactical moves needed in MMA than in Boxing but they are TWO DIFFERENT SPORTS!

·
Registered
772 Posts
First of all... I love watching, participating, and everything else about boxing. And I love MMA. I've never been a black & white type of guy, It's not like im not going to like boxing because I like MMA vice versa. It's not like I'm one of those dumbass voters who wont vote democrat just because their candidate lost in the primaries.

I say that to say this.

Boxing is not dying... It's just so many media outlets as well as fans have become jaded to it that it has become the general impression that it's dying.

MMA is not savage or "stupid fighting"... It is a very exciting sport and it is relatively "new" to the average viewer (provoking excitement).

As far as this mma>boxing image... This is usually the view of those silly goose promoters who want to discredit how long boxing has been alive and well.

As far as boxing>mma... This is usually the view of the old man shaking his walking stick at the whippersnappers on the block while chanting (in my day!!!).

Here is the part that will get you guys infuriated...
I would rather watch an average mma fight than an average boxing match... I would rather watch a good mma fight than a good boxing match...

(Pinfall)

I WOULD RATHER WATCH A GREAT BOXING MATCH THAN A GREAT MMA FIGHT!!!

(relief?)

My thoughts on this topic... Since everybody is so scared or self concious or whatever to write about it.

Now we can either...

(insert ignorance) or (insert thoughtfulness)
i disagree, at least in an average boxing fight there are punches thrown, in most mma fights, whether they are average good or great, there is so much wrestling on the floor, which to me seems boring, and.................. welll GAY!

boxing>mma and IMO there are no 2-ways about it!:laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Did he really use silly goose AND whippersnappers??:confused:

Boxing is for those who like to see a tactiful war of styles go at it. The quickness and power of RJ vs. a tall langy counterpuncher in Tarver or to watch a quick power punching david haye vs. an old school slick philly shell counterpuncher in James Toney. When someone watches MMA you just see violence and brutality with some skill involved. Don't get me wrong there is skill in MMA. But boxing is violence with tactics.

Boxing>MMA IMO
Damn straight. MMA blows.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
in most mma fights, whether they are average good or great, there is so much wrestling on the floor, which to me seems boring, and.................. welll GAY!
Yeah, consider me another dude that doesn't get any sort of thrill out of seeing two musclebound dudes with bad tribal tattoos entangled in what look to be Kama Sutra positions while wearing tight little compression shorts.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i personally aint inrto ufc, mma etc. with boxing i like to be a fan of a certain fighter. i get to see them more often. in the ufc it is like an organsiation. i don't feel i can get to see how a fighter really is. i don't get to see their personality and lives. boxing survives on people and names. if you watch crap fighters on undercards then it aint always interesting. but if you watch world class fighters and the hype, conferences etc.. then it's one of the coolest sports in the world. the history also helps. some great people have been boxers. i'm loyal to the sport. i don't see it as a direct rival to ufc etc

also a lot of my friends don't watch boxing, and they also mock ufc. they just don't like watching men fight on the floor. it is skillful, but not appealing to everyone. you can see people fighting on the floor by searching street fights on youtube. now it may not be anyhting skillful, but it is the floor with headlocks and all that. now can you see any street fight where there is even good boxing? a lot less likely.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yeah, consider me another dude that doesn't get any sort of thrill out of seeing two musclebound dudes with bad tribal tattoos entangled in what look to be Kama Sutra positions while wearing tight little compression shorts.
My favorite is when the announcers start shouting out the WWE-sounding names of the fighters "moves." "Oh he's got him in a death cross. Wow, he rolled him over into a triple Satan leg lock of hell!" :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My favorite is when the announcers start shouting out the WWE-sounding names of the fighters "moves." "Oh he's got him in a death cross. Wow, he rolled him over into a triple Satan leg lock of hell!" :laugh::laugh:
OMG don't even get me started on that. the announcing is the worst part about MMA. that make you feel like your a mentally ill 10 year old when you watch. everything, I mean they make EVERYTHING sound like it's the most unbelievable, death defying, earth shattering, exposive thing you've ever saw. I watched, literally a 15-20 sec Kimbo Slice fight where his opponent got hit with one, yes one, punch to the side of the head and went down stopping the fight and the announcers went crazy saying, "the fans came for fireworks and that's exactly what they got!!"... they made me feel stupid for watching. the crowd stood there not knowing whether to cheer or boo what they just saw. the mma seriously needs to do something about the announcing.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
That is funny Shane LOL
I'm going to be polite about MMA UFC etc and just say " They are NOT for me" Boxing For Ever!!!!!!!

·
8,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
OMG don't even get me started on that. the announcing is the worst part about MMA. that make you feel like your a mentally ill 10 year old when you watch. everything, I mean they make EVERYTHING sound like it's the most unbelievable, death defying, earth shattering, exposive thing you've ever saw. I watched, literally a 15-20 sec Kimbo Slice fight where his opponent got hit with one, yes one, punch to the side of the head and went down stopping the fight and the announcers went crazy saying, "the fans came for fireworks and that's exactly what they got!!"... they made me feel stupid for watching. the crowd stood there not knowing whether to cheer or boo what they just saw. the mma seriously needs to do something about the announcing.
Oh man I couldn't agree more!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
:laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Haha I think its funny how much all haters sounds alike whether it be Mayweather or MMA. People exaggerate and exaggerate to try and prove a point. Really do all announcers try and make it sound like the most unbelievable and and earth shattering thing in the world? That's because they are paid to make it exciting. When a guy is in a choke hold or an arm bar its like someone in boxing up against the ropes about to get KTFO and they why they make it sound exciting. Maybe the only reason I still stick up for the MMA sport is because I have watched it just about as long as I have boxing and it is nothing like anyone who doesn't watch it on a regular basis says it is. Again two different sports so don't even try to compare the two... Even the commentating.

·
8,579 Posts
Haha I think its funny how much all haters sounds alike whether it be Mayweather or MMA. People exaggerate and exaggerate to try and prove a point. Really do all announcers try and make it sound like the most unbelievable and and earth shattering thing in the world? That's because they are paid to make it exciting. When a guy is in a choke hold or an arm bar its like someone in boxing up against the ropes about to get KTFO and they why they make it sound exciting. Maybe the only reason I still stick up for the MMA sport is because I have watched it just about as long as I have boxing and it is nothing like anyone who doesn't watch it on a regular basis says it is. Again two different sports so don't even try to compare the two... Even the commentating.
No problem there where I'm concerned Matty I refuse to watch it

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I watched that Elite XC garbage on Saturday, and that douchebag with the black glasses would try to make a grass growing competition sound like a "flat out war."

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
YES I really think they do. EliteXC the guy with black hair that stands in the middle usually... everything according to him is great. I understand your a fan, but they will never call a guy a bum. never say a guy is untalented. too old,too slow, shouldn't be in the ring, ect... if they go to the ground, it's a great move. they stand up and throw jabs it's called an all out war (no I don't think i'm exaggerating) they don't sound legit or honest when it comes to describe how the fight really looked because they know most fans can't think for themselves and they need to be told what is good and what is not. that's why they never say anything negative.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I watched that Elite XC garbage on Saturday, and that douchebag with the black glasses would try to make a grass growing competition sound like a "flat out war."
EliteXC is a gimmick all in itself. Its a shame too cause they have some pretty decent fighters on there. I mean Goldburg as a announcer? If they get their **** straight they will give UFC a hard time. I think Tito is moving over there. Anyway who wants to talk about the ******* UFC? Ugh

1 - 20 of 82 Posts