Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

The Late Great Roy Jones Jr.

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  niko 
thebroken said:
who should he fight next? or do you think that it's better for him to retire? i personally think that after a fight or two.. he should retire.. your thoughts?
imo Jones had some great natural abilities,but lacked "boxing,schooling,skills".
I predicted when he got older he would not have enough basics to last long.

tyson said:
James Toney. He was a brilliant fighter when he fought Jones JR.
Toney had over forty fights and was undefeated,Hopkins was about midway in his career and on the the rise. Being gifted with natural ability Jones was the top man of his time.IMO his lack of motivation and concentration led to his two ko defeats.Some fighters can't get over ko's.

prettyboywho said:
Even though he destroyed him in the rematch. Montell Griffith or Griffin whatever his name is gave Roy a great run in their 1st fight. And Roy was in his prime. He was not unbeatable.
Griffin beat Toney twice.He was a good fighter.

tommygunn said:
the griffin fight was at lightheavy not 164 i could see the signs when rjj first moved to lightheavy that he had slightly faded. as i was saying his best weight was 168.
If you don't count the one heavy match almost half of Jones fights were at lightheavy. After beating McCallum he was still tops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.