Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

The Late Great Roy Jones Jr.

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  niko 
#1 · (Edited)
who should he fight next? or do you think that it's better for him to retire? i personally think that after a fight or two.. he should retire.. your thoughts?

#4 ·
clinton woods has stated he'd like to avenge his loss and that would put rjj back on the title trail but what ive heard its manfreido jr early next year.

#9 ·
thebroken said:
who should he fight next? or do you think that it's better for him to retire? i personally think that after a fight or two.. he should retire.. your thoughts?
imo Jones had some great natural abilities,but lacked "boxing,schooling,skills".
I predicted when he got older he would not have enough basics to last long.

#10 ·
roy should have retired after the ruiz fight. He was never the same fighter after that move down from heavyweight. I am a huge fan of roy but can see him fighting a few average fighters like hes doing and then challenge a higher rated boxer and lose. I can see a fight against Calzaghe. He doesnt have what it takes anymore and should retire after his next fight.

#11 ·
did anyone see manfreido beat spina, roy's in big bother fighting this kid he look's deadly.

i seen manfreido on the contender and thought he looked a good prospect i seen his second fight with mora and felt he was on the wrong end of the decision i think he's about the most improved fighter of the last 12 months.

roy loses late stoppage or u.d.

#12 ·
if Roy stop being afraid to get hit and strat fighting like he used to he might be able to do something. and Dr. Wisdom I really dont see how you can call him a all time great. He might get in the hall of fame or he might not.

#14 ·
Top 15 are you serious. Maybe top 20 and he get in the top 30 easy. But I like Roy he was a very good fighter. even though we will never know how he would have matched up with Hopkins in the rematch.

#15 ·
when it comes down to it roy at his best beat hopkins who was also pretty sharp at the time and names like toney to the fray and you have a living legend.

#16 ·
He would have lost both rematches and both trilogys. Hopkins was not in his prime at the time as we can see Hopkins prime can later in his career. The same with Toney. For example Jordan didnt really show he was the best eveer untill his second 3 title run.

#17 ·
jordan:confused: she's a glamor model. prime hop against prime rjj and hop loses same with toney.

roy was literaly untouchable at his best and my opinion that's when he was at 168.

#18 ·
Even though he destroyed him in the rematch. Montell Griffith or Griffin whatever his name is gave Roy a great run in their 1st fight. And Roy was in his prime. He was not unbeatable.

#20 ·
prettyboywho said:
Even though he destroyed him in the rematch. Montell Griffith or Griffin whatever his name is gave Roy a great run in their 1st fight. And Roy was in his prime. He was not unbeatable.
roy schooled monttell in there fight he just lost to a DQ.

#22 ·
you must be kidding. names like vinny pazienza, mike mccallum, reggie johnson, virgil hill, otis grant and clinton woods mean nothing to you then.:laugh: add hop and toney to that and you've got a damn good record.

#23 ·
name 1 of those guys that fought him when they was at the top of their game. Name 1 who was a legit dominate world champ. Name 1 of those fighters that would have made a mega fight or even a big fight even if they were at the top of their game.

#25 ·
prettyboywho said:
name 1 of those guys that fought him when they was at the top of their game. Name 1 who was a legit dominate world champ. Name 1 of those fighters that would have made a mega fight or even a big fight even if they were at the top of their game.
apart from woods and hop they were all champs at the time jones fought them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.