Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who Should Oscar's Last Opponent Be?

1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is my opinion that a fighter of Oscar's caliber should go out they way he's fought his career, by fighting the best, anything less would be beneath him and disrespecfull to the fans and the sport of Boxing, but there are those who choose to think he has earned the right for one last easy victory against some marshmalow, let your self be heard and we'll tally up the pros and cons at the end...

This is Hugo's thread, not mine. I just added the poll for him. This is not about who you think Oscar WILL fight but who he SHOULD fight.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Oscar HAS to fight Margarito to retain any credibility. He said himself he wanted to go out facing the winner of cotto-margy. When he saw what margy did to cotto he's had second thoughts lol he's turned into Oscar Mayer Whiner:laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Oscar should fight Margarito IMO. He already had an easy fight against Forbes. I don't think Oscar can beat Margarito because of the workrate but I don't think Margarito can hurt Oscar.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Oscar should fight Margarito IMO. He already had an easy fight against Forbes. I don't think Oscar can beat Margarito because of the workrate but I don't think Margarito can hurt Oscar.
I just can't see Oscar fighting Margarito. The risk is too high and the reward too low IMO, but hypothetically I'd pick Margarito to win based on Oscar's lackluster performance against Forbes. I really though Oscar looked terrible. The Oscar that fought Floyd would beat Margarito IMO, but it would be a SD most likely. I can't see any version of Oscar in the past few years smashing the statue like he would have done in his prime. He's just slowed down too much.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I just can't see Oscar fighting Margarito. The risk is too high and the reward too low IMO, but hypothetically I'd pick Margarito to win based on Oscar's lackluster performance against Forbes. I really though Oscar looked terrible. The Oscar that fought Floyd would beat Margarito IMO, but it would be a SD most likely. I can't see any version of Oscar in the past few years smashing the statue like he would have done in his prime. He's just slowed down too much.
I don't know what the hell happened between these 2 fights. He just got old I guess. I think a prime Oscar would dominate Margarito with his boxing skills and would check that chin.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Remember you said who he should fight, not who you see him fighting. With that said your definitely right about Oscar looking terrible in the Forbes fight. I think he should fight Margarito because I think Margarito would beat him and beating Oscar automatically increases your popularity and with this being Oscars' last fight it would be a passing of the torch type fight and would probably be the most exciting fight that he could make, if Margarito wins he would become very close to JCC in terms of popularity with Mexicans IMO, which is better for boxing since he leaves a successor that's not going to retire (poke, poke). My long post as usual, my b.
I don't know what the hell happened between these 2 fights. He just got old I guess. I think a prime Oscar would dominate Margarito with his boxing skills and would check that chin.
I do too, Margarito's workrate would be tough for Oscar at any point in his career, but Oscar had real good power and Marg is susceptible to left hooks and fast foot boxing skills. I think that fight goes down like a tougher De La Hoya-Trinidad.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I picked Sugar Shane. Big money, low risk. Would be a good fight and would finally complete the trilogy.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"A poll" would have "A poll" attatched to the thread. I'll fix this for you Hugo.
Thanks Shane this shows a lot of class on your part ......

I think that with his experience Oscar could make this fight a lot closer than we think....

The risk is high and the amount of pain great, but that is the PRICE of greatness, and should he make it to the last bell even if his face is falling off he will be considered an all time GREAT......

I think he might just have enough left to pull it off unless he knows something we don't....

Remember you said who he should fight, not who you see him fighting. With that said your definitely right about Oscar looking terrible in the Forbes fight. I think he should fight Margarito because I think Margarito would beat him and beating Oscar automatically increases your popularity and with this being Oscars' last fight it would be a passing of the torch type fight and would probably be the most exciting fight that he could make, if Margarito wins he would become very close to JCC in terms of popularity with Mexicans IMO, which is better for boxing since he leaves a successor that's not going to retire (poke, poke). My long post as usual, my b.

I do too, Margarito's workrate would be tough for Oscar at any point in his career, but Oscar had real good power and Marg is susceptible to left hooks and fast foot boxing skills. I think that fight goes down like a tougher De La Hoya-Trinidad.
Very good points excellent post...

I picked Sugar Shane. Big money, low risk. Would be a good fight and would finally complete the trilogy.
Nah no one is crying out for thast one, those fights were kind of boring at least to me they were...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know that it really matters. There's nothing on the line as far as the future goes, nothing to prove, no re-match. Any of those guys would give him a good fight, with maybe the exception of Juda. Margarito will murder him though.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
He should fight Margarito. He should go out the way hes always been, fighting the best and giving them a hell of a fight. Oscar will beat Margarito over 8 rounds, but Tony's workrate in the championship rounds would win him the fight. Margarito isn't murdering Oscar, even now IMO.

G

·
I think he should fight Margarito, he said he'd fight the winner of Cotto-Margarito. Then his excuse for not fighting Cotto was because he wouldn't fight a Puerto Rican, now that Margarito has won it's an easy decision for him to make. It'd be a grueling fight but I see Oscar coming through this one without any damage and his respect that he earned throughout his career still intact, win or lose.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know that it really matters. There's nothing on the line as far as the future goes, nothing to prove, no re-match. Any of those guys would give him a good fight, with maybe the exception of Juda. Margarito will murder him though.
Your wrong this fight would determine who's got the biggest ( COJONES) in boxing right now....:laugh:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It won't be Oscar. I can only imagine his pretty face if Margarito gets a hold of him. He doesn't move like Cotto, and he didn't look that good after his sparing partner, little 2 pound Forbes went 12 with him.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
However I think you guys are forgetting what kind of fight oscar delahoya is and many are showing that you've never seen all his fights. Im a fan of oscar but not a ahuge fan but this dude can fight. He can outbrawl ya and out punch ya. He hits harder than margarito. He may not have the stamina of margarito, but he has the power to hurt him. Margarito would most likely win a ud, but he'd be fighting oscar at 154 and we all knwo how margy does at that weight against an average opponent. I say its a risky fight for oscar, but I could definnetly see oscar winning.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I went for Cotto, purely because it's a fight I'd like to see. No chance of it happening in reality of course.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It won't be Oscar. I can only imagine his pretty face if Margarito gets a hold of him. He doesn't move like Cotto, and he didn't look that good after his sparing partner, little 2 pound Forbes went 12 with him.
That fact must be weighing heavily in his mind, is my legacy worth me getting reconstrutive surgery after margarito does a number on me...:laugh:

However I think you guys are forgetting what kind of fight oscar delahoya is and many are showing that you've never seen all his fights. Im a fan of oscar but not a ahuge fan but this dude can fight. He can outbrawl ya and out punch ya. He hits harder than margarito. He may not have the stamina of margarito, but he has the power to hurt him. Margarito would most likely win a ud, but he'd be fighting oscar at 154 and we all knwo how margy does at that weight against an average opponent. I say its a risky fight for oscar, but I could definnetly see oscar winning.
I don't think any body here questions Oscar's attributes. and that is why most think he has a good chance of competing evenly with Margarito and perhaps even winning, anything is possible when you give it your best........

I went for Cotto, purely because it's a fight I'd like to see. No chance of it happening in reality of course.
You never know what may happen, fighters are reknown for comming back, I believe it still could happen....

1 - 20 of 467 Posts