Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Ricardo Mayorga's two victories (and thus Vernon Forrest's only two defeats) over Vernon Forrest prove that Ricardo Mayorga was a very good boxer... or were they flukes!!! People tend to dislike Ricardo Mayorga and think of him as overrated because of a few things...

1) Who he is!:cool:

2) His 3 (of 6) losses to Felix Trinidad, Cory Spinks, and Oscar De La Hoya! :laugh:

But I reckon Ricardo Mayorga is a very good boxer and very under-appreciated!!! He has more losses (only 6 though) than a large majority of all of the other great boxers amongst his scene (De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mayweather etc.) simply because of the fact that he takes on the tougher opponents (in my honest opinion)! So my questions are the following... Is Ricardo Mayorga a very good boxer? AND... Were his two victories over Vernon Forrest FLUKES? Was there a reason as to why Vernon Forrest lost? Was he injured? Did he not train hard enough/take the fights seriously???

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
White Tyson said:
Did Ricardo Mayorga's two victories (and thus Vernon Forrest's only two defeats) over Vernon Forrest prove that Ricardo Mayorga was a very good boxer... or were they flukes!!! People tend to dislike Ricardo Mayorga and think of him as overrated because of a few things...

1) Who he is!:cool:

2) His 3 (of 6) losses to Felix Trinidad, Cory Spinks, and Oscar De La Hoya! :laugh:

But I reckon Ricardo Mayorga is a very good boxer and very under-appreciated!!! He has more losses (only 6 though) than a large majority of all of the other great boxers amongst his scene (De La Hoya, Trinidad, Mayweather etc.) simply because of the fact that he takes on the tougher opponents (in my honest opinion)! So my questions are the following... Is Ricardo Mayorga a very good boxer? AND... Were his two victories over Vernon Forrest FLUKES? Was there a reason as to why Vernon Forrest lost? Was he injured? Did he not train hard enough/take the fights seriously???
mayorga has very little boxing skills he's no more than a homerun hitter. now he's at 154 his power isnt as potent and his chin seems to be out of its depth there to. mayorga at 147 was a handfull because of his hitting power but i see his next fight is against vargas and would think fernando has all to much in every department.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Styles make fights & certain fighters just have another guys number.

Mayorga was lured into higher weights by money. He was solid at welter.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you agree that... at 147... Mayorga was the hardest hitting Welterweight at that period of time? His like a fast-paced brawler... like that Prince Naseem Hamed fellow?:cool:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, except with half of the ability and skill. Mayorga had power, but lacked the defense and technical skill to beat a higher class opponent aside from a "homerun" shot like u guys said above. Hes a brawler that swings for the fences.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
But he is pretty good ain't he? Sure his a brawler with a lack of any real defensive skill... but he is fast... and Foreman in his prime hardly ever defended himself!!!

He beat Vernon Forrest twice... fair and square... they're the only 2 defeats of his career... and "THE VIPER" has no excuse!!!

Ricardo Mayorga may have lost to some big name fighters... and he may have a lot of disrespectful tactics... but I like him! He is entertaining... I love how he is "ALWAYS THROWING BOMBS"... and didn't Vernon Forrest destroy "Sugar" Shane Mosley in the Amateurs and The Pros... Mosley was once considered "POUND FOR POUND THE BEST BOXER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!!"

Now... I'm not saying that "If Mayorga can beat Forrest and Forrest can beat Mosley... MAYROGA CAN BEAT MOSLEY!!!"

That age old philosophy in all of boxing history has been proven wrong time and time again!!!

HOWEVER... I reckon a Mayorga/Mosley fight AT WELTERWEIGHT MIND YOU would be very interesting to see!

Also... I'd love to see Mayorga fight Mayweather Jr. at Welterweight... who knows what will happen? Sure... Mayweather Jr. may win... BUT I RECKON IT WILL BE A WAR!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
White Tyson said:
But he is pretty good ain't he? Sure his a brawler with a lack of any real defensive skill... but he is fast... and Foreman in his prime hardly ever defended himself!!!

He beat Vernon Forrest twice... fair and square... they're the only 2 defeats of his career... and "TEH VIPER" has no excuse!!!

Ricardo Mayorga may have lost to some big name fighters... and he may have a lot of disrespectful tactics... but I like him! He is entertaining... I love how he is "ALWAYS THROWING BOMBS"... and didn't Vernon Forrest destroy "Sugar" Shane Mosley in the Amateurs and The Pros... Mosley was once considered "POUND FOR POUND THE BEST BOXER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!!"

Now... I'm not saying that "If Mayorga can beat Forrest and Forrest can beat Mosley... MAYROGA CAN BEAT MOSLEY!!!"

That age old philosophy in all of boxing history has been proven wrong time and time again!!!

HOWEVER... I reckon a Mayorga/Mosley fight AT WELTERWEIGHT MIND YOU would be very interesting to see!

Also... I'd love to see Mayorga fight Mayweather Jr. at Welterweight... who knows what will happen? Sure... Mayweather Jr. may win... BUT I RECKON IT WILL BE A WAR!:thumbsup:
mayorga couldn't make 147lb any more and mosley would ko his ass in 5 rounds. mayweather wouldn't drop a round in a UD either. mayorga had forests number we all seen that but in no way does that make the mouth world class.

i agree though white tyson he is exciting, especialy at the pressers. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts