Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its on boxingscene, turns out DLH and his monkeys have decided to buy the ring magazine. Is that its credibility out of the window? I think it makes the ring title about as meaningless as the ABC straps..

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
LeedsLad said:
Its on boxingscene, turns out DLH and his monkeys have decided to buy the ring magazine. Is that its credibility out of the window? I think it makes the ring title about as meaningless as the ABC straps..
it sure does, look for anyone with GBP links to be favoured on the lists now. :(

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
“We have a very skilled and capable team at The Ring, headed by Publisher Stu Saks and Editor-in-Chief Nigel Collins, and I have all the confidence that these magazines will not only continue to prosper, but in fact grow globally,” said Oscar de la Hoya, president of Golden Boy Enterprises. “These magazines will be held in an editorial trust where they will be operating totally independent of any influence from me or others from the Golden Boy Companies as it relates to editorial direction or content.”

I love Nigel Collins but I call bullsh*t on this one. Booooooooooo GBP.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As someone said to me earlier "the ring had the chance to change boxing, but they've just ruined it".

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Ring has been around forever and really hasn't done anything to improve boxing. They've railed against the governing bodies forever...No change, as a matter of fact it's pretty well bottomed. You really have to work at being a fan with the lack of exposure. Meanwhile, you can turn on SPIKE TV or others and watch UFC, MMA almost any night of the week. Maybe this has taken a toll on the old guard and they just want to get out. Price must have been right too. Of course this is pure conjecture, but it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
People get bought out all over the world, from small time factorys to the Worlds biggest football/soccer clubs. People may not like it but lets try not to get to upset about it guys.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Rayman said:
The Ring has been around forever and really hasn't done anything to improve boxing. They've railed against the governing bodies forever...No change, as a matter of fact it's pretty well bottomed. You really have to work at being a fan with the lack of exposure. Meanwhile, you can turn on SPIKE TV or others and watch UFC, MMA almost any night of the week. Maybe this has taken a toll on the old guard and they just want to get out. Price must have been right too. Of course this is pure conjecture, but it makes sense.
I disagree. While the Ring mag may not have changed things from your perspective I disagree. The Ring rankings are recognized nationally as the real deal. The Ring Champ is also recognized as the actual champ rather than paying attention to all of the alphabet titles. The Ring was once a separate entity with much respect for being the ultimate authority. Now they are basically owned by Oscar's company, and in my opinion this is bad for boxing.

I know companies get bought out every day. I completely understand the business side of this. I am a business major. I just do not like the results and the new ownership.:mad:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I too understand the Ring Magazines unique respect in boxing and I totally agree with the rankings being the real deal, they are the ones that count but I will leave my frustrations until a decline or tampering with rankings in favour of GBP does happen.

But agree with your concerns.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I will be keeping a very close eye on recent opinions and rankings. I have been a subscriber for 5 plus years, so I know what to expect from each writer.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
i have to agree
if true RING MAG is now garbage in the making.
and another ABC Belt/Title
this Sucks.
....Very, very badly. We will find out in the future.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i think this is an easy way for Golden boy fights to get title shots which in relevance will make everyone at golden boy more money.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Is this the beginning of Golden BOy and Oscar turning into the next Don King/Bob Arum? I mean, small, unintentional baby steps lead to corruption. I may be alone on this one, but I think I'm on to something ;) I sure as hell hope Oscar keeps his hands out of it. Let Nigel Collins and Co. do their damn jobs the way they have been for such a long time!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
No were definently onto something shane and its not intentially either, they all know how to work the system. I just hope he bought it for the financial part and is trying to get boxing more on the map, the ring magazine is the bible of boxing, it cant change, or the whole system will change.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
He did say they wouldnt change it from an editorial standpoint. Hopefully they'll lower cover prices and subscription costs and get this mag more exposure. Its freaking near impossible to find it on news stands anywhere around here. Every other rag you can find at the supermarket or local corner store, but not Ring.

Theres plenty of money to be made just in distribution and advertising alone. It is questionable at best that GBP bought the mag, but hopefully Oscar recognizes that without its integrity intact, that magazine is useless.
And until I see otherwise, I'll assume that he does.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts