Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Boxingscene.com The Ring has received written confirmation from Floyd Mayweather that he is relinquishing the welterweight title. Nigel Collins (editor in Chief of the ring) is quoted as saying that the relinquishing of the welterweight Championship will lead to an updating of the rankings, including P4P. A direct quote "Manny is now pound for pound no. 1

I'm guessing that really puts the nail in Floyd's retirement, at least for a year or so. Anyone gonna take him off their p4p list?

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
According to Boxingscene.com The Ring has received written confirmation from Floyd Mayweather that he is relinquishing the welterweight title. Nigel Collins (editor in Chief of the ring) is quoted as saying that the relinquishing of the welterweight Championship will lead to an updating of the rankings, including P4P. A direct quote "Manny is now pound for pound no. 1

I'm guessing that really puts the nail in Floyd's retirement, at least for a year or so. Anyone gonna take him off their p4p list?
Don't know whether I'll take him off yet, I wonder what REALLY is happening, just we've heard nothing from Floyd :dunno:

·
Registered
735 Posts
What does Cotto have to do to get the ring WW belt?
Juanma Lopez #3 :thumbsup: Altough I know he's better than Caballero, Marquez and Vasquez, he still needs to beat them.

G

·
We'll see him in action soon and decide from there but at the minute I have Calzaghe above him and Cotto right on his tail.

G

·
His resume is outstanding but his last win was controversial. It was a hard fight to score and I can see it going a different way each time I watch it. Your counter may be Calzaghe-Hopkins could have gone either way, but I personally thought it was clear as day. Cotto is just behind both guys IMO and if he beats Marg I'm going to have to think hard as to who are top 3, and in what order until the Calzaghe-Pavlik.

These are just my opinions, I can see how people have Pac as the best.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
His resume is outstanding but his last win was controversial. It was a hard fight to score and I can see it going a different way each time I watch it. Your counter may be Calzaghe-Hopkins could have gone either way, but I personally thought it was clear as day. Cotto is just behind both guys IMO and if he beats Marg I'm going to have to think hard as to who are top 3, and in what order until the Calzaghe-Pavlik.

These are just my opinions, I can see how people have Pac as the best.
You can't punish one fighter for having a controversial win and not punish the other. If you look at there last 5 opponents faced, Pac clearly trumps Calzaghe.

G

·
You can't punish one fighter for having a controversial win and not punish the other. If you look at there last 5 opponents faced, Pac clearly trumps Calzaghe.
I don't think Calzaghe-Hopkins was controversial. This is PERSONAL opinion. I thought I explained that clear in the previous post.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don't think Calzaghe-Hopkins was controversial. This is PERSONAL opinion. I thought I explained that clear in the previous post.
Doesn't change the fact that Pac has done more in the last couple of years to earn p4p number 1 than Cal has. I don't see how that can be disputed

G

·
Doesn't change the fact that Pac has done more in the last couple of years to earn p4p number 1 than Cal has. I don't see how that can be disputed
He beat Barerra and Morales who were past their prime, then got a SD over JMM. There's nothing that will change my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
He beat Barerra and Morales who were past their prime, then got a SD over JMM. There's nothing that will change my opinion.
past their prime or not, it would take a good fighter to beat them. even though they have lost in the past. infact they were still pretty decent fighters at the time. pac has fought a lot of good b fighters too.

i put pac at number 1. put it this way, if apc wasn't in the division barerra, marquez and morales still would have been dominating the whole division.

pac has beat more worthy fighters compared manfredo's etc. he's gone up in weight and won 3 world titles at dif weights. i think diaz is the 4th at a new weight.

calzaghe is the better boxer, but pacman is extremely succesful at his attack style. people can't deal with him unless they knock him out orTRY to box him. even the way he got ko'd seems kinda illegal. even when people box him it's never even like they are clearly winning the fight.

as it is pound for pound. you gotta go with pac. he's just captured the world's respect. calzaghe is only starting to.

G

·
past their prime or not, it would take a good fighter to beat them. even though they have lost in the past. infact they were still pretty decent fighters at the time. pac has fought a lot of good b fighters too.

i put pac at number 1. put it this way, if apc wasn't in the division barerra, marquez and morales still would have been dominating the whole division.

pac has beat more worthy fighters compared manfredo's etc. he's gone up in weight and won 3 world titles at dif weights. i think diaz is the 4th at a new weight.

calzaghe is the better boxer, but pacman is extremely succesful at his attack style. people can't deal with him unless they knock him out orTRY to box him. even the way he got ko'd seems kinda illegal. even when people box him it's never even like they are clearly winning the fight.

as it is pound for pound. you gotta go with pac. he's just captured the world's respect. calzaghe is only starting to.
I'm not saying Morales or Barerra were done. I'm just saying they were past their best and their names look good on his resume. If he beats Diaz I'll maybe have him P4P #1 until Calzaghe-Pavlik.(depending on how he wins and how the Cotto-Margarito fight plays out)

1 - 20 of 158 Posts