Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
I'm doing a project/essay for history and the event I've chosen to do it on is the Rumble in the Jungle. The essay must prove why said event is historically significant.
The angles I've been looking at coming at it from have been:
-Ali + support from Zaire people -- and how that affected the civil rights movement

or

-Ali was (one of) the first black athletes to speak his mind/not be quiet, and how him winning made it acceptable for black athletes to act in a manner not just there to please white people. Also touching on how if he had lost it is possible that black athletes would have been expected to remain quiet and indifferent and not say anything that could be though to be controversial.

Also, I'm from Ireland, and if I could somehow link Ali with the civil rights movement in Northern Ireland (perhaps link to the civil rights movement in America first and then to N.Ire?) that would be great, but I think doing something like this may prove a little too difficult.

So I decided to post on this forum and hopefully I'll get some good insight from people. Basically I'm just looking for some input as to how you feel the Rumble in the Jungle affected, and the best way to go about proving this.
Thanks for any help received.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In terms of facts and quotes you will get a lot of info from the great documentary, "When we were kings." Its a must see, theres a certain amount of political comment in it aswell.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Man that's a hell of a project you pick out, the hole thing in it self was an amazing time in history, how it originated out of the mind of probably one of the greatest con-men in history Don King, how he talked a dictator into financing this event, how he made boxers sign blank contracts, how Ali was allready a hero and was embraced by the people of Zaire, how erroneous was George foreman for bringing a german sheper with him and then beliving a curse had been placed on him, as far as connecting this event with the liberal movement in Ireland, I think you bee hard press as they were worlds apart, anyways good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts