Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather.

Looking at their resume`s that title is bollocks really isnt it.
funny. to a point, i agree with what this says. but unless you care to make your case better then that, im not going to side with you. Make a better point, use reason and facts if you care to persuade anybody. (which is obviously what you want to do, or else why would you post on this forum?)

And i think Floyds resume is much better then Roys.

-Ian

·
Registered
424 Posts
perhaps mention who you think were the best two fighters of the last 20 years? and im also assuming your arguing the statements people are saying about roy being the best from the 90's, and floyd on the 2000's?

I think Floyds spot(being the best of the 2000's) is at jeopardy. cotto, Calz, pavlik all have big plans for the near future, and if they stay busy and keep up high level of competition, i think they can take that spot for Floyd.

that is if floyd stays retired.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Care to elaborate instead of spewing your hate?
Id say Lennox Lewis especially and Manny Paq are more worthy of being the best

·
8,579 Posts
your write. id add manny to my list of "if they keep going" they can. lewis is a CLOSE call between him and Roy.

Make the arguement.

-Ian
Lennox never ducked anyone Roy did

·
8,579 Posts
Roy>Lewis...
Explain how Shane Lennox beat every man he ever faced Roy didnt and couldnt. Lennox never ducked any contender. Roy ducked all the dangerous ones and handpicked the easy $$$$ ones. So you see there is no contest Lennox Lewis blows Roy Jones out of the water LOL

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I say Holyfield and RJ or Lennox Lewis (tossup), but know there could be many others

·
Registered
424 Posts
I mean, i can see how people rate Roy very high. He looked AMAZING against B level fighters. he looked OUT OF THIS WORLD against them. And really Roy had AMAZING physical gifts (speed and power mainly) So when you see him do that to other B level fighters you kind of picture in your head him being able to do the same to A+++ level fighters. Truth is...Roy got beat twice by ANTONIO TARVER!!!!, who is complete trash.

I cant name many elite fighters Roy fought other then James Toney. (Trinidad doesn't count)

Meanwhile Lewis fought basically everybody worth fighting. Avenged his loses. Beat MANY elite fighters. And unified the belts.

Its very easy in boxing to say "well He COULD HAVE BEAT..." But i think when it comes down to it you can only judge a fighter from what they actually did, not what they could have done. And i think if you look at Roy like this, he comes up short compared to other fighters.

-Ian

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
What most people need to remember is that when he got screwed in the olympics he didn't want to go overseas anymore to fight. Some of the elite super middleweights were overseas and he wanted them to come to america to fight. He even gave them seven figures to fight him and they all declined and none of them have responded to the king's call. You can't help it when other fighters don't want to fight you. I mean Darius was KO'ed by Julio Caesar Chavez and RJ UD him so it kind of tells you something...nevertheless it RJ not fighting them still doesn't take away that in RJ's prime....no one was going to touch him...no one...I forgot you said this quote but he said "The thing about Roy is that you can watch all the film you want and know what he's going to punch...the problem is you never see the punches coming" I paraphrased a little bit but that was the gist of what he said.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I mean, i can see how people rate Roy very high. He looked AMAZING against B level fighters. he looked OUT OF THIS WORLD against them. And really Roy had AMAZING physical gifts (speed and power mainly) So when you see him do that to other B level fighters you kind of picture in your head him being able to do the same to A+++ level fighters. Truth is...Roy got beat twice by ANTONIO TARVER!!!!, who is complete trash.

I cant name many elite fighters Roy fought other then James Toney. (Trinidad doesn't count)

Meanwhile Lewis fought basically everybody worth fighting. Avenged his loses. Beat MANY elite fighters. And unified the belts.

Its very easy in boxing to say "well He COULD HAVE BEAT..." But i think when it comes down to it you can only judge a fighter from what they actually did, not what they could have done. And i think if you look at Roy like this, he comes up short compared to other fighters.

-Ian
Yeah I can see where you're coming from.

·
8,579 Posts
What most people need to remember is that when he got screwed in the olympics he didn't want to go overseas anymore to fight. Some of the elite super middleweights were overseas and he wanted them to come to america to fight. He even gave them seven figures to fight him and they all declined and none of them have responded to the king's call. You can't help it when other fighters don't want to fight you. I mean Darius was KO'ed by Julio Caesar Chavez and RJ UD him so it kind of tells you something...nevertheless it RJ not fighting them still doesn't take away that in RJ's prime....no one was going to touch him...no one...I forgot you said this quote but he said "The thing about Roy is that you can watch all the film you want and know what he's going to punch...the problem is you never see the punches coming" I paraphrased a little bit but that was the gist of what he said.
Roy priced himself out of every fight with a dangerous opponent. He was blessed with fantastic God Given talent yet basically wasted it by letting his ego rule him. Mayweather is headed samwe way

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
all i keep reading is the same old crap from the same old haters.
Its better than the same old crap from the same old groupies. :laugh:

At least what C.J is saying is very true.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I really liked Roy Jones in his day. Even when I wasn't really into boxing, watching RJJ was a treat. He beat B-Hop. that's good oppostion. He also went to heavyweight and won a title. If you can't give him credit for that, well you are just being ignorant. It's tough getting back to where you need to be physically after pouring on 30 pounds, too. Try it sometime.

As far as Floyd, he has fought some great fighters but it seems that almost every weight class he has been in, he has not fought the really great ones. You can't ignore that he is a five division champion but you also can't forget what great fights we might have seen had he fought a couple other guys. I really wish he had fought Mosley and Tszyu. Those would have been great fights.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts