Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Light Heavyweight Division only has a couple of fighters that are worth mentioning in my opinion...This is my list of the best light heavyweight NOW...at this moment...
1. Chad Dawson
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. Glen Johnson
4. Roy Jones Jr
5. Clinton Woods

That is my top 5 at the time...Tarver has been fighting like garbage lately so he probably wouldn't even make top 8. Here are my reasons

Chad Dawson- Young, long, athletic phenom that uses his length to his advantage. He's shows agility like no one at his size. Above average power to counter you with. He might be the best boxer from 175-160.

Bernard Hopkins- A legend...has reigned over the middleweight for years and is undefeated at his natural weight at the moment. A match with dawson is a fight i would be paying to see. He shadows his opponent so well that they ususally can't adjust in time to get the W. And if you go for the KO against this guy...you'll pay the ultimate price.

Glen Johnson- A determined, hard hitting light heavy that stalks his opponents down while fighting a physical style. Known for knocking RJ out cold. His style gives speed boxers problems but Bernard Hopkins proved otherwise...

Roy Jones Jr- The Greatest P4P fighter from the early 90's to the present time...this man has blistering speed combined with juggernaut power. Even though he is only currently 60% of the prime RJ he is still a fighter not to mess with. A bigger Hanshaw felt the power of his triple uppercut combo to knock him down later on in the fight. The only question I have is his desire. If he has the mindest of a Bernard Hopkins or a tito trinidad...he would have possibly have won all his fights by KO...but right now...it seems like his cruising for the UD...we need to see a KO against Tito to except the fact that he's only tarnishing slowly...

Clinton Woods- A fighter not really cared about in the US and known for getting a one-sided lost from RJ...this fighter isn't great at anything but isn't terrible at anything either. Technical replaces athleticism in his gameplan. If he would fight Calzaghe...it would only be another man on Calzaghe's C+ resume. Needs to fight RJ again to maybe revenge his loss. Maybe another fight with Glen Johnson...he doesnt stand a chance against Dawson or Hopkins...

What do you all think of the state of the LHW division?

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i'd like to see calzaghe face roy should he get past hopkins. if calzaghe manages to beat both even though they're not in their primes it would solidfy him as "great" fighter imo. you got to have some big names on your ledger to be considered great.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think he'd get more criticism than praise for going up against RJ after Hopkins. People would accuse him of ducking the young challengers and fighting old guys, id love to see him fight Chad Dawson. Dawson isnt solidified yet, but he will go on to be a great fighter IMO.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think Dawson, Hopkins and possibly Calzaghe is the only guys worth mentioning in this division, Tarver, Johnson, Woods, Jones are guys that wont be a threat to the guys i named above, altough Jones could make a impact if he is impressive against Tito.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i have both hopkins and erdei above dawson at 175.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts