Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously some fighters are just freakishly strong in their weightclass. People like Foreman, Marciano, Jeffries, Saddler, and Holyfield at cruiserweight were all pretty much the strongest in their weight class. Those are ATG's thjough, I am looking for people more out of the box that weren't the obvious picks or the ones always brought up. I want the guys that were very strong but don't get a lot of credit for it. Bonavena and Chuvalo are both left out of the category a lot when both were very strong. Bob Fitzsimmons was strong in every weightclass he fought in. Welter-heavy he was almost always the harder hitter and the stronger fighter, yet he was so lanky. I feel Leonard was stronger than given credit for.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I know you won't like it but Tyson was very strong too;) His old amateur trainer was on ESPN Classics earlier and said at the age of 12 he was physically stronger than fully grown men when sparring, that is amazing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
John 'The Beast' Mugabe...V strong as Marvin Hagler could confirm.

Frank Bruno...a boxing robot but very strong

Chris Eubank was ridiculously strong at 168.

Large George Foreman and Large Galotta could lean on fighters for 12 rounds and zap the energy of smaller fighters..

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Okay, We are talking about Strenght or power?
I mean theres a difference, Tito was very powerfull, but not so strong..
So im taking the strong:
Cornelius K9 bundrage, the guys is simply a powerhouse for his weightclass

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Theres a difference in strength and power, but a few who come to mind, Juan Roldan Argentinian, middleweight who also fought Hagler. I thought Ray Mancini was a little pit bull. Primo Carnera, just because he was Giant.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Okay, We are talking about Strenght or power?
I mean theres a difference, Tito was very powerfull, but not so strong..
So im taking the strong:
Cornelius K9 bundrage, the guys is simply a powerhouse for his weightclass
yeah, but he can't take a punch for crap.

Kelly Pavlik is wicked strong at his weight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think Kelly is a strong puncher, but not really physically strong. I mean you do need muscle mass for that, and he ain't got it, although the sight of him flipping over those truck tires is puzzling, like his punching power. :confused::eek:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I think Kelly is a strong puncher, but not really physically strong. I mean you do need muscle mass for that, and he ain't got it, although the sight of him flipping over those truck tires is puzzling, like his punching power. :confused::eek:
I Agree, Pavlik has alot of power in his hands but aint exactly very strong..

Gene Fullmer just came to my mind, also Jack Johnson, he was pretty big and strong at that time..

·
Registered
26 Posts
joe frazier was small for a hw but ******* strong as an ox.
gene fullmer was practically a knot of muscle
julio cesar chavez was really naturally strong
some mentioned saddler apparently he was strong enough to man handle fw's
sonny liston enough said.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeffries was strong as an ox. He makes guys like Frazier and Tyson look like 3 year old girls. IMO only someone like Foreman or Liston could beat him in strength.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Without a doubt its Foreman. The man had top HW power at 45 years old. And if he would have came back for a 3rd time when he left the mic I think he would have become champ again. Because Im sure still would have had top HW power at 50.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think Foreman's comeback is overhyped. Yeah, he won the belt, but he was a terrible champ and he was getting the worst beating of his life before landing the one big shot.

I think Shavers hit harder than Foreman, but IMO Foreman was the strongest of all time. George Chuvalo should be mentioned. I heard he's benching 430lbs at the age of 70. He backed Frazier up, at one point Frazier tried pushing him back, and Chuvalo just stood there and Joe couldn't move him.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
I've probably already said this but Punching Power has little/nothing to do with whether or not you're built like a bodybuilder or do a maximum bench press of a jumbo jet! Sure... some hard punchers looked like monsters (Earnie Shavers, Ron Lyle, George Foreman, Rocky Marciano... just to name a few)... but they didn't look like bodybuilders... they looked like boxers! There are only 3 boxers that I've ever seen who looked like bodybuilders with all the tone, definition and that big lump on their arms... and they were Jeff Lacy (who is a Super-Middleweight), Frank Bruno and this new version of Tommy Morrison (who admitted to steroid use) that I've been seeing as of late! I say again... BOXERS SHOULDN'T BE BUILT LIKE WRESTLERS! Alll 3 of these guys punched hard and are as strong as ****... but weren't exactly the best boxers (Over-Hyped and Overrated)! Anyways... looking like a monster doesn't necessarily mean you can punch hard! Take Thomas Hearns for example... "THE TOUGHEST AND MOST BADASS LANKY PERSON TO HAVE EVER LIVED"... he probably couldn't even bench press his own body weight... but he could punch hard... VERY HARD... harder than some HEAVYWEIGHTS!!! Anyways... the strongest fighter of all time was probably Frank Bruno with his bodybuilder/wrestler-like physigue! But in terms of the hardest puncher of all time, it's EARNIE SHAVERS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts