Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years (as if I'm ancient lol) I've seen many bad fouls while watching a lot of boxing. There are always certain fouls that always stick out in my mind. A few are:

Golota-Bowe (you know what I'm talking about).

Holyfield-Dokes, Holyfield hit dokes with a clearly intentional head butt (surprise surprise) and quickly followed up with a clearly intentional low blow. Dokes wasn't the same after it.

Cooney-Holmes, Larry says he still feels that low blow in the 9th.

Obviously Tyson's ear bite incident.

Ali thumbed Terrell in a clinch during the 3rd round of their fight and really screwed up Terrell's eye, he was seeing 3 of the same guy for the remaining 12 rounds.

Pick your moment in the the first, 3rd, and 4th, Saddler-Pep fights. Those were disgraces on both parts. While Sandy initiated most of the fouls, Willie was more than happy to comply in the street fights in the ring (big mistake with Sandy Saddler).

What are some that stick out in your mind?

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Well I do not really know about the WORST foul shots in the history of boxing, but I can certainly name a few off of the top of my head.

For one is the usually ignored fouls of Rocky Marciano. Marciano was a determined fighter, and he would hit you wherever he could, and he had accidents, such as hitting low blows, and hitting his opponents after they have fallen, but those were usually excused for the fact that Marciano REALLY had his head into the game. Then there was a foul shot that went against Marciano in his second fight with Ezzard Charles, ripping Marcianos nose into two ribbons from getting hit by Charles' elbow. After winning the fight by TKO in the eighth round, Marciano made no problem of the cut, and respectfully called it an accident, as most of the fouls that Marciano permitted were nothing less than an accident.

In the fight that Ernie Terell had with Muhammad Ali, Ali was not the only man in the ring to commit a foul. Multiple times throughout the fight, Terell rabbit punched Ali, holding Ali with one hand and hitting him with the other. Ali put emphasis on Terell's rabbit punching because people always paid so much attention to the fouls that Ali commited, that they would completely ignore the fouls of the other fighter.

I am surprised that nobody noticed the other obvious fouls that Tyson ALWAYS commited, hitting after the bell.

I think that I am done for now.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't even going to get started to any degree on Mike Tyson. Terrell was rabbit punching Ali only because he couldn't see right, it was the only edge he had by that point. Ali was the king of holding behind the head. What he did the 2nd Frazier fight was a disgrace.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
I wasn't even going to get started to any degree on Mike Tyson. Terrell was rabbit punching Ali only because he couldn't see right, it was the only edge he had by that point. Ali was the king of holding behind the head. What he did the 2nd Frazier fight was a disgrace.
Terell is just using that not seeing right thing as an excuse. Even if he could not see right, that does not excuse his rabbit punching. If Tyson bit Holyfields ear off, that means Holyfield has the right to start fighting with his elbows right? not right.

I could tell that Terell was using that as an excuse to, because when I watched the fight between Ali and Terell, Terell saw the punches coming and reacted before the punches hit. And Terell was rabbit punching Ali because he could not catch Ali. Terell claimed that he was seeing three Ali's. It is common sense to aim for the middle one.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terell is just using that not seeing right thing as an excuse. Even if he could not see right, that does not excuse his rabbit punching. If Tyson bit Holyfields ear off, that means Holyfield has the right to start fighting with his elbows right? not right.

I could tell that Terell was using that as an excuse to, because when I watched the fight between Ali and Terell, Terell saw the punches coming and reacted before the punches hit. And Terell was rabbit punching Ali because he could not catch Ali. Terell claimed that he was seeing three Ali's. It is common sense to aim for the middle one.
It's easier said then done on a moving Ali. Ali was the King of rabbit punching BTW.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Hopkins-Echols: by both guys, but Hopkins got away with a clean punch to the back of the head that knocked Echols down
Trinidad-Vargas: those low blows were killer
Cotto-Judah: ditto
Barrera-Hamed: that full nelson into the corner was ill
Pacquiao-Barrera I: An intentional head butt that didnt fully land I could see it from a mile away it was intentional
Every Sam Peter fight: clinics in rabbit punches
Every W Klitschko, J Ruiz, and recent Hopkins fights: clinics in holding in all situations
Every Casamayor, Hopkins, and Holyfield: clinics in headbutts and punching and headbutting at the same time.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and wasnt the thumb in Terell's eye an accident as Muhammad Ali was trying to push Terell up off of him? BTW, nice Larry Holmes picture you have there Bill.
Thank, but no the Ali thumb wasn't an accident.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Thank, but no the Ali thumb wasn't an accident.
It sure doesnt look to me like something that Ali would do to Terell on purpose. Another thing, only one eye was fingered, so there should be no problem with Terell's other eye. I really still think that Terell was just making excuses.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sure doesnt look to me like something that Ali would do to Terell on purpose. Another thing, only one eye was fingered, so there should be no problem with Terell's other eye. I really still think that Terell was just making excuses.
It's a huge handicap only having one eye. Even if Terrell kept his eye closed, then Muhammad would know it was bothering him and go after it more.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
It's a huge handicap only having one eye. Even if Terrell kept his eye closed, then Muhammad would know it was bothering him and go after it more.
than i guess Terell should have upped his defense. When Ezzard Charles hit Marciano with that nasty elbow, splitting his nose, Marciano was a gentleman and called it an accident. Terell should have been more of a gentleman, then I guess. lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.