·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Id say there is to many weight classes right now.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Terrible idea man, unless they spread out the divisions more evenly instead of some of them being 2-3 pounds difference.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
There should be more like a limited heavyewight division. They should get rid of cruiseweights, change it to heavyweight and make the limit 220. Then they should have a super heavyewight division. This way we actually get guys that are in shape fighting in the heavyweight division.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jsut don't like the 25 pound gap between light heavy and cruiser. there's alot of room in there and somewhere around 185 is the most comfortable fighting weight for some guys.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
You are right about this, but it isn't happening. I just think they need to space out all of the weight classes evenly.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Having heavyweight as an unlimited weight sucks. It needs to have a restriction. When heavyweights arent forced to make a particular weight, they dont train as hard.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
If I had my way... I'd get The Heavyweight Division back down to 190lbs just like the way I remember it. Sure... nowadays... Heavyweights are so damn heavy... but I reckon it would be a great throwback to the likes of Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano who weighed something like 190 - 195 lbs. Now... you have to be at least 200lbs. One of the main reasons that The Heavyweight Limit was changed from 190lbs to 200lbs is simply because of the fact that fantastic Heavyweights such as Jerry Quarry (the greatest Heavyweight to never, ever win a World Championship) could never win it... because they were less than 200lbs. whilst their opponents were a lot bigger. I still reckon it should be back down to 190lbs. So... that leaves a gap from 176-189lbs. So I guess we can call that Cruiserweight (between Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight) or Middle Heavyweight?

PS - I know there were Heavyweight Champions from years ago who didn't weight much at all (Kid Chocolate) but to me, 190lbs. is AWESOME! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
If I had my way... I'd get The Heavyweight Division back down to 190lbs just like the way I remember it. Sure... nowadays... Heavyweights are so damn heavy... but I reckon it would be a great throwback to the likes of Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano who weighed something like 190 - 195 lbs. Now... you have to be at least 200lbs. One of the main reasons that The Heavyweight Limit was changed from 190lbs to 200lbs is simply because of the fact that fantastic Heavyweights such as Jerry Quarry (the greatest Heavyweight to never, ever win a World Championship) could never win it... because they were less than 200lbs. whilst their opponents were a lot bigger. I still reckon it should be back down to 190lbs. So... that leaves a gap from 176-189lbs. So I guess we can call that Cruiserweight (between Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight) or Middle Heavyweight?

PS - I know there were Heavyweight Champions from years ago who didn't weight much at all (Kid Chocolate) but to me, 190lbs. is AWESOME! :laugh:
Man I dont think they should move it back down to 190...

I mean if today we have such a size difference in the Hw division like we always notice when Klitschko or Valuev fights somebody...Also 190pounders arent porhibited to fight heavyweights, RJJ weighted in at 190 something...

Ok the size difference between a cruiserweight and a lightheavy is way bigger than a lightheavy-supermiddleweight but still doesnt sound enough to me to create another division in boxing..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If anything, I think they should cut down on the weight divisions. Then spread them evenly to accomodate fighters in the 180'ish weight range.

Two things Ive never understood about boxing is the reason for the specific weight divisions (140, 147, ect.) and the reason for different sanctioning bodies.

·
Registered
175 Posts
nah they need to get rid of some sanctioning bodies....narrow them down to two...that would atleast make things somewhat more easier to follow. i find it annoying when i watch a fight and someone always ask me whose the champion and what the ibf is or the wbo or the ring magazine champ..you know what im sayin hah?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
nah they need to get rid of some sanctioning bodies....narrow them down to two...that would atleast make things somewhat more easier to follow. i find it annoying when i watch a fight and someone always ask me whose the champion and what the ibf is or the wbo or the ring magazine champ..you know what im sayin hah?
I know exactly what you are talking about. :eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
yea man i'd be fine with just the WBC and the WBA. be much more easier to get an undisputed champion.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
If anything there shouldnt be a CW division. They should be HW

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
How about having a reasonable limit on body fat percentage instead of setting an exact weight regulation for heavyweights. Some guys may just be too big naturally to make a set weight. Valuev for instance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts