Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it seems to me that across the board there are many examples of guys suffering from power outages. I don't know if it's just that in some cases their competition is stiffer now than it was when they were getting blown up KO numbers against tomato can opponents. In other cases, I guess it's just that guys kept moving up in weight so that they wouldn't have to train as hard as they got older. Prime examples of the former I would think to be Jermain Taylor and Jeff Lacy. Prime examples of the latter would have to be De La Hoya and Mosley. Taylor hasn't gotten a knockout in more than three years, while De La Hoya has just one in five years. Mosley had two TKOs versus Vargas, but aside from that, none in the last seven years. Granted, neither of the two future hall of famers have fought all that much in those time periods. Hatton and Judah are other guys who seem to have lost pop on their punches. Hatton never had much power, but the accumulation used to get guys out of there eventually. I'm not sure he can even do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
But it seems to me that across the board there are many examples of guys suffering from power outages. I don't know if it's just that in some cases their competition is stiffer now than it was when they were getting blown up KO numbers against tomato can opponents. In other cases, I guess it's just that guys kept moving up in weight so that they wouldn't have to train as hard as they got older. Prime examples of the former I would think to be Jermain Taylor and Jeff Lacy. Prime examples of the latter would have to be De La Hoya and Mosley. Taylor hasn't gotten a knockout in more than three years, while De La Hoya has just one in five years. Mosley had two TKOs versus Vargas, but aside from that, none in the last seven years. Granted, neither of the two future hall of famers have fought all that much in those time periods. Hatton and Judah are other guys who seem to have lost pop on their punches. Hatton never had much power, but the accumulation used to get guys out of there eventually. I'm not sure he can even do that anymore.
Guys like Mosley and De La Hoya are fighting above there best weight. They are not big knock out artists at there current weight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.