Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The below article simply uses stats to show how amazing Floyd has been against top competition. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny he has been as dominant against top competition as any boxer in memory.


"Best Ever" Mayweather can walk away in style
Posted: Today, 1:11 AM
By Lyle Fitzsimmons, Boxing Contributing Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The fans screamed for it. The media longed for it.

People watching on pay-per-view all around the world plunked down cash for it.

But when push came to shove Saturday night in Las Vegas, none of it mattered... again.

In a decisive 10th-round dispatch of Ricky Hatton at the MGM Grand Garden, boxing's most dominant "Pretty Boy" once again proved what anyone truly paying attention for the last several years already knew.

No matter how charming the accents, how engaging the back stories or how menacing the promises of havoc from his challengers, only one man will determine when Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s reign as king of the ring is complete.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Now pristine in 39 straight pro bouts, the 30-year-old put yet another dominant exclamation point on his career with yet another virtuoso spotlight performance, taking down the British import who'd seemingly brought half the United Kingdom to Nevada with him in an unsuccessful effort to rattle the cage of a five-division world champion.

But rather than throwing Mayweather off his game, the pre-fight tumult only elevated it, bringing out a level of precise violence not seen since the last time Floyd was so universally disliked by a fight crowd.

Instead of the tactician's role he played in sleepy Vegas wins over Carlos Baldomir and Oscar De La Hoya, the fury resembled that which he'd unleashed two years prior in Atlantic City, when it seemed the entire state of New Jersey was in attendance to lift Arturo Gatti past him in a match for top billing at 140 pounds.

And though Hatton lasted well beyond the six rounds Gatti cleared, the cross- eyed look on the Englishman's face at the final bell Saturday told a similar tale.

Love him or hate him... this kid's as good as it gets today, and as good as it's been, ever.

And now that he's taken down the best of five weight classes in Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Baldomir and De La Hoya, along with a credible belt-holding second tier of Hatton, Judah and Corley, the most legitimate question surrounding Mayweather's future tangibly shifts from the monotonous "Who’s next?" to the more accurate "What’s left?"

Realistically, short of hanging around to beat down every chest-thumping wanna-be until age 50, the real answer is "Nothing."

By adding another mount to his Hall of Fame-caliber trophy wall on Saturday, Mayweather reached a breathy height seen by precious few -- if any -- in the sport's storied history. He's not only beaten the top names in the ring of his generation, but he's done so in a manner where imminent defeat has never been an issue, let alone a threat.

Only De La Hoya provided enough opposition over 12 rounds to yield anything short of unanimity on the scorecards, losing a split decision in May, while the four distance-goers before him combined to claim just 19 of a possible 144 rounds in title fights between 2003 and 2006.

Over his whole career, in fact, only two men -- De La Hoya and Jose Luis Castillo -- have gotten nearer than three points on any one scorecard in any one fight.

And keep in mind; these were not mandatories from well-heeled bum of the month or over the hill clubs.

Super featherweight champions Corrales and Genaro Hernandez were a combined Super featherweight champions Corrales and Genaro Hernandez were a combined 71-1-1 when Mayweather stopped them in 10 and eight rounds, respectively.

Lightweights Castillo, Victoriano Sosa and Phillip N'Dou were 157-12-4 en route to three unanimous decision losses and a seventh-round TKO.

Corley, Henry Bruseles, Gatti and Sharmba Mitchell went 144-14-2 prior to their three stoppages and one unanimous decision defeat via Mayweather at 140 and 147 pounds.

The three-fight pre-"Undefeated" warm-up saw a Judah/Baldomir/De La Hoya partnership with a 115-16-6 record and 15 recognized world championships lose 82 of 108 possible rounds on nine combined scorecards.

Now, after Saturday's undressing, don't forget to add Hatton's 43-0 mark and two title belts to the Canastota math.

And when you hit the equals sign, the answer is clear.

No one's ever made it look as easy as this kid does, against a high-end group of foes at each weight. That makes his career unparalleled at any class.

Forget "Money" and "Pretty Boy," it's Floyd "The Best Ever" Mayweather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
If he beats Cotto and Paul Williams than I will say he is the best. As of right now no. Plus, I still think Hatton can beat him If that ref Joe Cortez let Hatton fight his fight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. I can tell from your name that you are a fan of Floyds what with it being the Greatest welter weight of all time which is Floyd. ;) Hatton couldn't beat Floyd once out of ten fights. Lets stick to this article though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
No it wouldnt have made any differance if Joe Cortez or Steve Smoger would be reffing the fight, Mayweather was getting the better out of Hatton everywhere, Hatton is not on the same level as Mayweather. Neither is Cotto and Williams, Mayweather is the best of our era, Hatton is a good Jr.welterwight.

And i agree with the writer :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its good to see writers giving Floyd credit after so much negativity over the years. It seemed like at times that they just didn't want to let him shine.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
I read the whole thing and what a great read. Makes total since. He's the standout welterweight since leonard and robinson and I have no doubt he could of competed with those guys. As for hatton goes. He aught to be glad cortez reffered that fight because if smoger was the ref, floyd would of really put a hurt on hatton.
 

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
Joined
·
8,579 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
The below article simply uses stats to show how amazing Floyd has been against top competition. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny he has been as dominant against top competition as any boxer in memory.


"Best Ever" Mayweather can walk away in style
Posted: Today, 1:11 AM
By Lyle Fitzsimmons, Boxing Contributing Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The fans screamed for it. The media longed for it.

People watching on pay-per-view all around the world plunked down cash for it.

But when push came to shove Saturday night in Las Vegas, none of it mattered... again.

In a decisive 10th-round dispatch of Ricky Hatton at the MGM Grand Garden, boxing's most dominant "Pretty Boy" once again proved what anyone truly paying attention for the last several years already knew.

No matter how charming the accents, how engaging the back stories or how menacing the promises of havoc from his challengers, only one man will determine when Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s reign as king of the ring is complete.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Now pristine in 39 straight pro bouts, the 30-year-old put yet another dominant exclamation point on his career with yet another virtuoso spotlight performance, taking down the British import who'd seemingly brought half the United Kingdom to Nevada with him in an unsuccessful effort to rattle the cage of a five-division world champion.

But rather than throwing Mayweather off his game, the pre-fight tumult only elevated it, bringing out a level of precise violence not seen since the last time Floyd was so universally disliked by a fight crowd.

Instead of the tactician's role he played in sleepy Vegas wins over Carlos Baldomir and Oscar De La Hoya, the fury resembled that which he'd unleashed two years prior in Atlantic City, when it seemed the entire state of New Jersey was in attendance to lift Arturo Gatti past him in a match for top billing at 140 pounds.

And though Hatton lasted well beyond the six rounds Gatti cleared, the cross- eyed look on the Englishman's face at the final bell Saturday told a similar tale.

Love him or hate him... this kid's as good as it gets today, and as good as it's been, ever.

And now that he's taken down the best of five weight classes in Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Baldomir and De La Hoya, along with a credible belt-holding second tier of Hatton, Judah and Corley, the most legitimate question surrounding Mayweather's future tangibly shifts from the monotonous "Who’s next?" to the more accurate "What’s left?"

Realistically, short of hanging around to beat down every chest-thumping wanna-be until age 50, the real answer is "Nothing."

By adding another mount to his Hall of Fame-caliber trophy wall on Saturday, Mayweather reached a breathy height seen by precious few -- if any -- in the sport's storied history. He's not only beaten the top names in the ring of his generation, but he's done so in a manner where imminent defeat has never been an issue, let alone a threat.

Only De La Hoya provided enough opposition over 12 rounds to yield anything short of unanimity on the scorecards, losing a split decision in May, while the four distance-goers before him combined to claim just 19 of a possible 144 rounds in title fights between 2003 and 2006.

Over his whole career, in fact, only two men -- De La Hoya and Jose Luis Castillo -- have gotten nearer than three points on any one scorecard in any one fight.

And keep in mind; these were not mandatories from well-heeled bum of the month or over the hill clubs.

Super featherweight champions Corrales and Genaro Hernandez were a combined Super featherweight champions Corrales and Genaro Hernandez were a combined 71-1-1 when Mayweather stopped them in 10 and eight rounds, respectively.

Lightweights Castillo, Victoriano Sosa and Phillip N'Dou were 157-12-4 en route to three unanimous decision losses and a seventh-round TKO.

Corley, Henry Bruseles, Gatti and Sharmba Mitchell went 144-14-2 prior to their three stoppages and one unanimous decision defeat via Mayweather at 140 and 147 pounds.

The three-fight pre-"Undefeated" warm-up saw a Judah/Baldomir/De La Hoya partnership with a 115-16-6 record and 15 recognized world championships lose 82 of 108 possible rounds on nine combined scorecards.

Now, after Saturday's undressing, don't forget to add Hatton's 43-0 mark and two title belts to the Canastota math.

And when you hit the equals sign, the answer is clear.

No one's ever made it look as easy as this kid does, against a high-end group of foes at each weight. That makes his career unparalleled at any class.

Forget "Money" and "Pretty Boy," it's Floyd "The Best Ever" Mayweather.
Dang talk about obsessed Roflmao I watched close in the fight sat night but i didnt see that ray of sunshine coming out of Mayweathers butt that you see LOL
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
in the article he called ricky a second tier fighter....:confused:

guys like baldomir are top rier in his opinion though.

that writer obviously doesn't know his boxing making statements like that......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Maywether is a great boxer,SRL for me would have beat Maywether prime 2 prime.Today boxers fight 12 rounds as to 15 rounds in the older days.Im my life time iv not seen a better boxer than SRL @ his weight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TommyGunn said:
in the article he called ricky a second tier fighter....:confused:

guys like baldomir are top rier in his opinion though.

that writer obviously doesn't know his boxing making statements like that......
The second tier comment was stupid. The rest of the article is perfect.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
Ill agree with that, hatton was one of the best fighters floyd fought, but he wasnt the best, and he is definenly an A class fighter. Baldomir is a B class fighter would started winning at the perfect time. Modern Day cinderella man, but thats just it, a cinderella man. no one would have a clue who jim braddock was unless they didnt make the movie about it and no one will remember baldomir besides the L on his resume to mayweather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I think mayweather is the best of this era but not ever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
I certainly wouldn't give him that much credit for his victory over Hatton, after watching it last night, Hatton was way over rated, HBO, Mayweather, and the media in general were very successful in hyping a non event. The fight was ugly, and Hatton is nothing more than a crude club fighter with no style.

That's not to say Mayweather is not great, but he didn't prove it on that fight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I disagree with 75% of that. If Hatton was just a crude club fighter he wouldn't have won 43 fights, losing none. While I don't consider Hatton a top 5 guy he is still a damn good boxer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I disagree with 75% of that. If Hatton was just a crude club fighter he wouldn't have won 43 fights, losing none. While I don't consider Hatton a top 5 guy he is still a damn good boxer.
Yeah but he built that record in the UK, against who? Frankly he'd make a better wrestler than a boxer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Ricky was/is a good fighter. I think he was primed in the Zoo fight, since then he just hasnt been amazing. I think he looked bad in the mayweather fight, but i had the fight scored 83-86 for mayweather up until the stoppage. the think you have to keep in mind is that Ricky looked bad in the mayweather...because he was fighting Mayweather. Mayweather has made basically everyone he has fought look bad.

-melty
 

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
Joined
·
5,334 Posts
I take offense to the write calling Hatton a second tier fighter. he oblitereated Castillo and Kosta. Two guys revered by many.
 

·
Team Mayweather
Joined
·
24,365 Posts
floyd just made him look overrated. Like he does everyone, was corrales, judah,hernandez and everyone else floyd fought overrated? no.....they were good but floyd destroyed them. He's in another league. Baldomir is definently a b guy, you dont go 10 years undefeated without being good. He beat judah, gatti and clottey. Judah is a b fighter and clottey is a b fighter. Gatti is a c fighter , but i could argue greatly that zab is a a plus fighter who lacks discipline.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
the guys comparing floyd to the best ever shane, i know he's your boy and all and you wont agree with me here but he is not even top 20 just now, not only that but he doesn't even deserve top 20 just now.

he'll be ranked behind fighters such as hearns (top 15) and chavez (top 20) just now.

im not saying the future wont change this though, if floyd impressivly wipes out the 147 division then anyone rating him with the top tier top 10 guys have a great argument.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top