Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who would win

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thomas Hearns vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter Weight in Las Vegas MGM Grand. For the Ring Mag WW title. 1981 Hearns vs Prime Mayweather.

Who wins and how???

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im not surprised that no one wanted to talk about this fight. Its a bad one for Floyd:laugh:

·
Registered
772 Posts
i would have to give it to hearns,

he was a much more agressive fighter, he had been in the ring with fighters that would have eaten mayweather for breakfast,

hearns was the bigger man, remembering that hearns worked his way up from WW to SMW, unlike mayweather he has power and speed, mayweather has accuracy and speed, he can obviously pack a punch but his hands are pretty delicate, just like calzaghe's so he doesn't tend to bang as much.

mayweather is by far the best fighter around atm but in the days of Sugar Ray and Hearns every fight was a close fight and level of competition was that much greater, you didn't choose who you wanted to fight, you had to fight whoever was worthy and thats something that mayweather doesn't do. he fights people worthy of making him another $30m.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would have to give it to hearns,

he was a much more agressive fighter, he had been in the ring with fighters that would have eaten mayweather for breakfast,

hearns was the bigger man, remembering that hearns worked his way up from WW to SMW, unlike mayweather he has power and speed, mayweather has accuracy and speed, he can obviously pack a punch but his hands are pretty delicate, just like calzaghe's so he doesn't tend to bang as much.

mayweather is by far the best fighter around atm but in the days of Sugar Ray and Hearns every fight was a close fight and level of competition was that much greater, you didn't choose who you wanted to fight, you had to fight whoever was worthy and thats something that mayweather doesn't do. he fights people worthy of making him another $30m.

Well said. That is absoultly right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
After looking at this fight id say it is without a doubt THE worst stylistic match up for Mayweather. With Hearn's fast and accurate jab Floyd would find it very hard to get inside, and when he tried Hearns could easily bang that big right over.

Mayweather's best plan of attack would be to move around the ring, jab to the body and wait for Hearns to fade in the later rounds. The problem is im not even sure Floyd could avoid Hearns for that long, and also i don't think Floyd has the power at 147 to really put a dent in Hearns suspect chin.

Id take Hearns here.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is it Hearns by ko or D and what D if any?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I honestly can't think of anyone who would beat the very same hearns who fought leonard at 147 in 81.

(except SRL who had a hell of a time doing it and it nearly cost him his sight in one eye)

Badger in Asia

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeah, i completely agree with badger, mayweather would have looked amatuer in the ring against hearns or SRL in that particular fight, they were both animals and floyd wouldn't have been able to go toe-2-toe with hearns and he would run around the ring alot until hearns finally engaged and a mid/late stoppage would be innevitable.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This looks like it might be a shut out for Hearns. Looks like the 1st big blow out lose of Mayweathers Boxingforum career.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Hearns was a larger boxer, much larger than the likes of Mayweather has ever seen. I think that Hearns is one of the few men that could have ever beaten Mayweather by Decision.

Hearns UD4 Mayweather
Hearns KO5 Mayweather

1 - 16 of 16 Posts