·
Administrator
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(WBC Light Heavyweight Championship)

Saturday, October 7 2006
Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois

10 PM :) :thumbsup:

The opening bout also decides a title, as Tomasz Adamek (30-0, 21 KOs) of Bielsko Biala, Poland defends his light heavyweight crown in a much-anticipated rematch with Paul Briggs (25-2, 18 KOs) of Sydney, Australia. The bout takes place 17 months after their first encounter, which took place at the United Center on the west side of Chicago. In an all-out slugfest that went the full 12 rounds, Adamek narrowly defeated his counterpart with a majority-decision victory, claiming the vacated title in a bout that was instantly dubbed a "fight of the year" candidate. Both fighters enter the rematch determined to strengthen their rankings in the deep 175-pound division.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went to their first fight last May,and will be there Saturday Night when they meet again. I'm going with Briggs to reverse things this time around. Last time Briggs got off to a somewhat slow start(also suffering a early cut that clearly bothered him initially)and let Adamek bank a few early rounds,and when he buckled Adamek's knees a few times later on,then the gutsy Pole was able to survive and through sheer will was able to grab a close decision in front of the huge Polish contingent spurring him on. I'm thinking that Briggs has him figured out and will get to work sooner. I also think Briggs is simply stronger than Adamek,last time it was a case of the circumstance like the Cut,starting slow due to the nerves of his first title fight,and the big Polish Crowd willing Adamek on that made the difference. This time the stronger man prevails IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you guys!

If it was not because of you, I almost missed tomorrow's event.

I have to cancel my plans.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
suzlaz

I think Dave is right. Briggs can do this. He is stronger, bigger and more powerful. I think he is ready.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i was swutching from corrales v casamayor fight and this one-this one was definetely the better bout. During my, switching I actually forgot to watch the results-i imaging adamek via decision?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
mtt_c said:
i was swutching from corrales v casamayor fight and this one-this one was definetely the better bout. During my, switching I actually forgot to watch the results-i imaging adamek via decision?
Tomasz Adamek 31-0 (20 KOs) retained his title in another war against Paul Briggs (25-3, 18 KOs), winning by majority decision. Like their first fight, it was a brutal war in which both fighters had their moments. Briggs dropped Adamek with a jab in round one and Adamek was deducted a point for a low blow in round nine, but the champion still did enough to come away with a 114-112, 115-111, 113-113 win.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ERIK said:
Tomasz Adamek 31-0 (20 KOs) retained his title in another war against Paul Briggs (25-3, 18 KOs), winning by majority decision. Like their first fight, it was a brutal war in which both fighters had their moments. Briggs dropped Adamek with a jab in round one and Adamek was deducted a point for a low blow in round nine, but the champion still did enough to come away with a 114-112, 115-111, 113-113 win.
It was a really good fight!

I think that Briggs should have used "Joe Frazier"'s formula: "Don't wait too long, take a punch but get in neutralizing the long range punches coming from Adamek"

I was hoping for Briggs to come out victoriuos.

I enjoyed it!

·
Administrator
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Briggs Feels Robbed, Rules Out Third Fight

Thanks for the quick updates :D

Briggs is in a tough position. :(

After 24 rounds of hell with WBC light heavyweight champion Tomasz Adamek (31-0, 20KOs), Briggs (25-3, 18KOs) tells The Australian that he has ruled out a third meeting because he feels that he was robbed in the fight. The demand for a third meeting is high, and HBO would be all ears to air a third meeting on their network. HBO was said to be very impressed with Briggs and interested in bringing him back to the network.

"I'm just shattered. I can't believe it," Briggs said. "I thought I had done enough, my corner thought I had done enough, the guys on the TV here, even Don King ... everyone thought I won the fight. Last time hurt because I felt I didn't box the way I am capable of boxing. This time I just feel robbed."

Briggs felt that if there is one thing he did that he regrets in the fight, he did not jump on Adamek when he knocked him down in the first round.

"Looking back, maybe I could have jumped on him a little more after the knockdown, but I was thinking I didn't want to punch myself out," Briggs said. "I probably should have taken the risk, but I didn't think it mattered because I felt I won the fight. But the judges obviously didn't see it that way and unfortunately there isn't anything I can do about that."
Thanks boxingscene for the above quote :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts