Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Theres always the speed ball and weighted gloves. Weighted gloves on the heavy bag will get you faster in no time. Theres also this circuit i do. It goes:

Jump rope 1 round (college round, so 2 min)
Rest (1 min)
Shadow box 1 round
Rest (1 min)
Heavy bag w/ weighted gloves (2 min)
Rest 5 min and repeat as many times as you can handle. Also, throwing in a round of sparring isnt a bad idea.

Also, theres another speed exercise i do where you put an x on a wall, about chin level. Punch the x with a 1-2 (with gloves and wraps on). Then go 1-2, 1-2 the 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 and so on, so you are doubling the amount of combos each time all the way up to 100. its def a workout and itll get you faster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
do resistant training with those training elastic tubes. get someone to hold the back and pull it away from u creating resistance. then start throughing punches. do like 4 three min rounds.. this drill will deff get ur speed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
training and coaching

Hello every1 I’m new to this and could do with some help here :) I took up boxing with my son and I also am his coach does any 1 have a plain and simple boxing regime (exercise) list I’m a light-weight and my son is a fly-weight help would be good but I not quite sure where to start in the exercise department many thanks if u can help with some ideas I will try a couple them out to see which works best

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Hello every1 I’m new to this and could do with some help here :) I took up boxing with my son and I also am his coach does any 1 have a plain and simple boxing regime (exercise) list I’m a light-weight and my son is a fly-weight help would be good but I not quite sure where to start in the exercise department many thanks if u can help with some ideas I will try a couple them out to see which works best
Jump roping with rhythm, drills on a punching bag, double end bag (one of my favorites), and the speed bag, shadow boxing (preferably in front of a mirror), and sparring.

Other exercises I would recommend that are for the muscles you would use often in boxing are:Running sprints and for distance, swimming laps, push ups, pull ups, crunches and/or sit ups (best for boxers), any exercises with a medicine ball, rowing, any exercise that works your core muscles are great also the ones that use stamina. Don't lift big weights because it will make you slower and less flexible which will make you more injury prone, if you want to lift weights, small weights with alot of repititions would be the best.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At the gym, I was always best at the double end bag, even when I just started hitting it, but I noticed after about a week, my jab was faster, and my hook was cleaner. You should try hitting it for 10 minutes everytime you go to the gym. The handspeed is just a bonus with the precision and and increased mobility.

For when you aren't at the gym, you can always try to keep your guard up longer, I find that the longer you can keep up your guard, the more punching stamina you have, and the faster it is.

On heavybags, use weighted gloves, for shadowboxing, use 1 lb dumbells, no more than 1 lb, any more will make your technique sloppy and could cause injury.

Alternate between jogging, and sprinting, respectively, during roadwork for 1 1/2 miles. I find it's better for stamina than just doing jogs for 3 miles, running for 2 miles, or sprints for half a mile or so. Drains yourself a little less too.

Jump rope definitely, I was never exactly good at it, but the guys at the gym often have better footwork because they can jump rope better. Work on your hamstrings, and core muscles.

Do some things like dashing forwards and backward, dash 100 meters back and forth several times. try to see how many times you can do it in the time frame of 1 round. If you can do it 8 times, you pretty much have god like speed. 1 round if you are a pro of course, just try to do about 4-5 if you are an amateur.

·
Registered
212 Posts
To gain speed, try shadow boxing with weights in ur hands ( like 3 pounds ), resistance training with those rubber tubes, do some sprints on the treadmill once or twice a week. The way i do it, i sprint on speed 9 for 45 seconds, then walk on speed 3 for a minute to cool down, then sprint on speed 8 for a minute then cool down again. I continue doing that for about 30 - 40 minutes. I think this helps build explosiveness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tried 3 lbs for awhile, that's a bit too much, my arm hyperextended too much, and my technique got sloppy for about a week, I wouldn't do it, terrible arm pain, with no helpful results, you can use 3 lb dumbells and work on your stance to build arm stamina, but not shadowboxing. You'll sprint faster on the road than on a treadmill too. Roadwork beats treadmill by far because you go at your own pace, you can pratice turns and slips better by dashing, and there is incline.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I tried 3 lbs for awhile, that's a bit too much, my arm hyperextended too much, and my technique got sloppy for about a week, I wouldn't do it, terrible arm pain, with no helpful results, you can use 3 lb dumbells and work on your stance to build arm stamina, but not shadowboxing. You'll sprint faster on the road than on a treadmill too. Roadwork beats treadmill by far because you go at your own pace, you can pratice turns and slips better by dashing, and there is incline.
i use 3 pounds for shadow boxing, never had a problem. and yeah i heard road work is better but i dont have a nearby track or anything to run on, and i dont wanna look like some wacko sprinting on the streets LOL. so i just use a treadmill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For added speed etc try doing some Plyometrics, excellent way of building power and speed with very little equipment needed. Try searching up some Plyometric routines on the net and give'em a try, they're fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I tried to up my speed at first, I just did the one punch I wanted to speed up, so for instance, my jabs. And i would only jab as fast as i possibly could, i only did it for a few rounds every time i went to the gym, but after a while my handspeed really improved.

·
Confidence Man
1,673 Posts
Jump roping with rhythm, drills on a punching bag, double end bag (one of my favorites), and the speed bag, shadow boxing (preferably in front of a mirror), and sparring.

Other exercises I would recommend that are for the muscles you would use often in boxing are:Running sprints and for distance, swimming laps, push ups, pull ups, crunches and/or sit ups (best for boxers), any exercises with a medicine ball, rowing, any exercise that works your core muscles are great also the ones that use stamina. Don't lift big weights because it will make you slower and less flexible which will make you more injury prone, if you want to lift weights, small weights with alot of repititions would be the best.

Everything else you say is true - especially a double end bag, I love mine - but I would take issue with you about weights.

Lifting is important to develop big punches and strength. Do you want to look like a gaudy body-builder? No. But don't worry about it as long as you're not lifting for that reason and taking steroids on the way.

Low repitions with lots of weight is actually what I've found to help the most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts